WTH, lithium battery explodes during dyno tune - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-17-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
gaz
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

WTH, lithium battery explodes during dyno tune

ported a head and installed set of web cams on stk piston 08 busa. basically my street/strip head and cam package. bike on dyno yesterday getting throttle position tune, tune pretty much finalized just rechecking afr at different throttle openings when bike starts throwing a fit. shuts off and hears strange sound coming from under seat area, thankfully seat not bolted on. battery is wps 310 cca with one of those touchpads u push button to revel level of charge, battery extremely hot and button burned thru just starting to spew fire and material. quickley getting worse he was able to cover and contain and remove battery. taken outside complete meltdown occured with battery just burning up. no apparent damage to bike, replaced battery and fuel pump relay now stuck on fuel pump running constantley with battery connections made switch off. replaced pump relay, switch on no fuel pump. bike tuned thru ecu, all ecu info gone, ecu fried. also had ign tables flashed in ecu, everything gone. thankfully he had tune stored, different ecu from another gen 2 busa restored running. now need another ecu/pump relay to replace and restore info to complete tune. cheap lithium battery bad investment. could have been much worth, but good news 221hp/120 ft lbs torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-17-2017, 08:37 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Are you sure the battery caused all the other problems or could it have been a relay went bad causing a short and all the other issues including the battery to melt down? Just asking the question and not trying to defend the battery because I don't think a battery should do that even with a short, especially if you have fuses in line to everything coming from the battery. There are fuses?

Last edited by tdh; 12-17-2017 at 09:05 AM.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-17-2017, 08:52 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

FFS but 221 makes all the drama worthwhile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]192MPH stock engined 2008

post #4 of 17 Old 12-17-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
gaz
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

wiring harness inspected and undamaged, only alteration with all stk fuses intact was 20 amp fuse installed for hp walbro pump which is std on all walbro pump installs with no problems ever. we thinking battery only problem causing some reversed polarity that damaged ecu. will know more with parts replaced back running. my highest hp/trque stk piston big bore build to date. bike making 1441 torque, everything squeezed tight with 220 cranking compression with
415/378 cams degreed 106/108. torque acclerates u, bike gonna et great.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-17-2017, 09:45 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I think failed voltage regulator is suspect. Failed battery (low voltage) should not damage ECU, but overvoltage (70V ac generator output) from regulator can likely damage both at the same time. Busa regulator gets dirty and when air is not moving then overheating may result.
Careful not to fry next ECU, regulator is not fused and burnt regulator may well let higher voltage through.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-17-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
gaz
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

battery voltage ck'd before dyno at 13.4 idling, just little higher above 4k+ where regulator kicks in to regulate. within specs. going to recheck back running.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-17-2017, 11:08 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

This wasn't on Livengood Motorsports dyno was it? His dyno has huge repute for blowing up bikes.
michael4012 likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-17-2017, 08:28 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

dang. Have no idea of tech stuff BUT can report that in the past I wasted time on dyno; Two R1's, one FZ1 and one CBR blew out the running headlight, what ever light always ran; if I recall the fz1 ran both and both burned out.

My point is that my hunch is that dynos are not grounded right; for me, just a few bulbs so never sweated. This point connects to the above rider's experience with a particular dyno. I can't recall what my dyno guy was running; but he always seemed a bit focused too focused. Just reporting my observation.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-18-2017, 08:31 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Lithium batteries are like that skinny, hot, crazy girlfriend..... they are a lot of fun until they decide to go crazy on you! there is a reason they have an awful lot of restrictions to travel by aircraft. Just sayin'. ;)

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-18-2017, 01:05 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Regular batteries do this as well. We we store energy, theres always a chance. The shorai battery is supplied in a heavy duty case that hopefully might minimize damage if.....a lot of the cheap ones just have heat shrink tubing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+...h=484&dpr=1.25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in