Winter Riding - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 Old 01-06-2016, 03:57 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

My winter riding is confined to those rare days when there's no salt on the roads and the temperature is above 50. Maybe two street rides and one track day in November, one ride in December. I think I'm done riding till spring.

As for winter riding tips... Tires wont grip very well when its cold. Watch out for gravel. Beyond that, try to stay warm.
White Fang likes this.

Last edited by Cyclotron; 01-06-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 01-06-2016, 04:00 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cageconvert View Post
Hum.. Forgot to mention. I try not to ride in the rain, and never in snow or in iced conditions... It's one rear wheel one front wheel man, either loses traction in those conditions, your likely going down. Bright side.. Less likely to get rashed up.
And just so I contribute something to this thread...im with loumc...you are riding a touchy 1K in what I consider truly shitty conditions. I wont even consider a street race (bike or car) unless its a nice summer day/night, no rain, hot asphalt, good tires/conditions, etc... Hell, there are guys that leave the driveway on 85deg days on cold tires and wad it up within a mile. Its just too sketchy for me, I hate cold asphalt and cold tires that never really seem to warm up. And your last statement makes me wonder your reasoning that you may get less rashed in cold weather?? lol..I guess...then again you may fly into a telephone pole too...or get ran over, fly into a tree, or definitely break something. Hell, we should all ride in winter conditions since the rash would be less right? Rash is dependent on gear and how violent the accident was, not the weather bud. Either tire loses tract in ANY condition and its usually not good, unless you're used to the occasional rear stepping out.

If you must, keep an eye on your tire conditions and air pressures...and not sure what part of the US yer in but around here id watch out for sand salt (the sand here stays well into April/May until after a couple good rains) and watch out for pot holes created by freeze/thaws. Don't know what else to tell ya cause I don't ride in this shit lol.
White Fang likes this.
post #33 of 47 Old 01-06-2016, 07:55 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

Yea the weather channel is all politics alright, until it proves good with the current predictions that have it coming down on you like a cow pissin on a flat rock..LOL

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.

post #34 of 47 Old 01-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
And just so I contribute something to this thread...im with loumc...you are riding a touchy 1K in what I consider truly shitty conditions. I wont even consider a street race (bike or car) unless its a nice summer day/night, no rain, hot asphalt, good tires/conditions, etc... Hell, there are guys that leave the driveway on 85deg days on cold tires and wad it up within a mile. Its just too sketchy for me, I hate cold asphalt and cold tires that never really seem to warm up. And your last statement makes me wonder your reasoning that you may get less rashed in cold weather?? lol..I guess...then again you may fly into a telephone pole too...or get ran over, fly into a tree, or definitely break something. Hell, we should all ride in winter conditions since the rash would be less right? Rash is dependent on gear and how violent the accident was, not the weather bud. Either tire loses tract in ANY condition and its usually not good, unless you're used to the occasional rear stepping out.

If you must, keep an eye on your tire conditions and air pressures...and not sure what part of the US yer in but around here id watch out for sand salt (the sand here stays well into April/May until after a couple good rains) and watch out for pot holes created by freeze/thaws. Don't know what else to tell ya cause I don't ride in this shit lol.
Not less likely to get rashed up in cold. less likely to get rashed up on ice. And your forgetting wheelies...
post #35 of 47 Old 01-11-2016, 04:34 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadedJD View Post
I live in Tennessee and until recently, this had been the warmest winter ever. The entire month of December was 60-74 degrees so I had been riding with just my regular gear. On some days, I'd even just have a pull over but now . . . It's 25-45 degree weather. My biggest tip would be to buy heated grips. Nothing makes a ride more terrible than having freezing cold hands while trying to shift, brake, and maneuver.
Has anyone ran heated grips on the 10R? How does the charging system hold up?
post #36 of 47 Old 01-11-2016, 04:45 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

The icy and frosty weeks appear gone here but now the stupid rain is jacking us. Gonna have to put some stabil in the tank if this keeps up.
post #37 of 47 Old 01-11-2016, 06:26 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
The icy and frosty weeks appear gone here but now the stupid rain is jacking us. Gonna have to put some stabil in the tank if this keeps up.
I usually start the bike and let it warm up to op temp 3-4 times a week, if not every day after work
post #38 of 47 Old 01-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to NINJA191
I ride my 14 to work year round here in NYC. Rain or shine or cold. Only snow and ice stop me. Coldest I rode to work was 2 deg F last winter.
mav899 likes this.

I Ride My Bike Like My Women, HARD!!!!
post #39 of 47 Old 01-11-2016, 10:33 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilaugust View Post
Has anyone ran heated grips on the 10R? How does the charging system hold up?
Charging system wasn't meant to handle that kind of load, not a touring bike. Need every watt to charge the battery and run the electronics, ABS, TC, and so on. Stock battery is not up to the task, very marginal.

Sturm und Drang
post #40 of 47 Old 01-29-2016, 01:31 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav899 View Post
lived and rode in cold old London for years and the thing that worked best for me was to move to Queensland Australia even when its wet its hot hot hot
That's the Pus*Y way out I lived Near London for years and Rode ALL YEAR LONG I am from probably the best place ever to Ride Motorcycles ever Los Angeles California so IMO you're just making excuses If I could survive in London anyone can. ...well except YOU.

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.