Traction control without ABS question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-04-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Traction control without ABS question

So my dealer has a 2015 ZX-10R Anniversary edition on offer for 11250. Has traction control but not ABS. But doesn't traction control function a bit like ABS, in that if you brake hard the traction control will kick in and slow the wheel? Or does it not work like that?

The lack of ABS is holding me back from buying the bike because apparently you cannot retrofit the ABS. So its either this or a more expensive model, which is not really an option given my trade-in value on my BMW (which does have ABS).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-04-2017, 06:04 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

All good and abs is not needed. Traction control really not needed either on this bike; only time I've been able to get it to engage is when I was testing it. No problem and good price.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-04-2017, 06:37 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Traction control kicks in on acceleration. It will cut engine power if you give it too much throttle for the conditions and limit wheel spin. ABS kicks in on braking and will release the brakes if you brake too hard causing the wheel to slip. Neither is 100% and you can still crash of course. I have 2 ZX10s (a '14 and a '16). One has ABS (the new one) and one doesn't. I personally wish that both of my bikes didn't have ABS, but for normal street riding ABS is actually a great safety feature for most people.
trackaddict and Waldo like this.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-04-2017, 07:07 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yeah, doesnt work like youre thinking. If you track the bike youll be wishing you didnt have abs anyway.
trackaddict likes this.

2013 10R
post #5 of 18 Old 01-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

ABS is an easy decision (despite the cost) when there are idiots out there cutting us off in their killer cars.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone S20/T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, Showa BFRC Lite w/ ukzx10r's plates, GP shift, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, set up by RMR Suspensions, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modified OEM sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 40,000km+ and going strong!
post #6 of 18 Old 01-04-2017, 07:36 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

you dont need ABS....... wait its raining, dirt on the road.... holy shit I need it now...
scout likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

ABS is a worthwhile addition when finding yourself in "fight or flight" split-second decision making scenarios. I've personally witnessed a distracted sportbike rider (~05 gsxr 750) endo himslef and the bike when slamming on the front due to lack of attention & keeping proper distance between himself and the killer cars porschenut mentioned.

Riding any motorcycle takes a huge amount of wherewithal and constant scanning for threats. Everytime I hop on my bike, I mentally prepare myself for the journey. In a way, its a job -- and why I enjoy it so much. It is a challenge, an adventure and the right balance of risk/reward to keep it interesting ; )

Whether ABS is worth it depends on the type of rider you are. If youre the type that is easily distracted, has a hard time distinguishing from weather conditions/ice/moisture/grit on the road, knowing proper following distances, understanding the lean angle & traction relationship or the million other variables that come into keeping you alive than ABS might be beneficial to you.

I've tried to adopt certain behaviors to allow more time to react to any given situation. One of them being, riding with my right finger resting on the front break lever. It allows more time to react while also ensuring I don't mash the brakes if my "fight or flight" survival instincts kick in.

IHMO I think ABS has little usefullness on sportbikes. Harleys, Gold Wings and other big bikes benefit more from it. Like others have stated, track bikes gain nothing from ABS, rather they take away lever feel, feedback and even extend braking distances. ABS wins for new riders, distracted riders and extreme weather conditions. Really it comes down to knowing your capabilities as a rider. Just thought I'd share my feelings. Best of luck!

-Zed
scout likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-04-2017, 08:00 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

When I rode my 16 zx10 with abs for the first and only time I grabbed a good handful of front break a few times just to see how the new setup felt. I completely forgot the bike had abs and it didn't kick in. I'm sure I could've gotten it to come on but I'd be doing some fairly stupid shit on the streets to find out. Riding fairly normal and not threshold breaking you won't know it's there.

I have the full setup now laying on my bench after I removed it which really wasn't that hard.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-04-2017, 09:12 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Oh, and the rear end WILL come up off the ground on the '16 even with ABS. I do it regularly. It also tells you that right in the owners manual. I'm not 100% it will prevent you from flipping over the front, I don't actually want to take it that far to find out. However, I have had it kick in when attempting a stoppie on slick pavement. When the wheel starts to slide it kicks in but apparently there isn't enough of a wheel speed difference on dry pavement when doing stoppies. It lets me bring the rear up at least a foot without kicking in. I've never had it up much higher than that but I would be interested to hear from any stunters if it will let you get all the way up on the front without it kicking in.
scout likes this.

post #10 of 18 Old 01-05-2017, 08:42 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

My experience....
I have seen a gen4 go very very hi on a emergency stop, so hi that the bike fell on the side.
My gen4 the abs, when riding very hard (hot tires) does not kick in, but if cold and you bang the brakes they intervene. If the tire is a sport turing tire it kicks in way more than a 021.

Have I felt that the abs makes the distance is increased riding hard and dry, never, it gives me more confidence, since I know Im not riding on Mugelo.

I ride in all conditions, I prefer ABS
scout likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.