8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 Old 10-17-2016, 02:55 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos76 View Post
Pirelli "Diablo Superbike Pro" slick is a "beginner slicks" for trackday people and Pirelli says they can be used without warmers. Having used a set of them myself (with warmers thou) I can say that they are cheaper and last longer than "real" slicks.

Pirelli Superbike Pro Slicks were nothing more than street tires without tread and that is exactly how they worked like street tires. They have also been discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
One lap and they're hot. The missing ingredient is confidence but that involves many variables.

Uh... No. I work for Pirelli, I also ride on all manner of current race tires. My RC51 is shod in Dunlops and my ZX-10 by my own design runs Michelin Fronts with Pirelli Rears (seriously) and I can tell you beyond any shadow of doubt that even HOT OFF THE WARMERS all of those tires still need a lap or two to get up to operating temp or they will not work properly resulting in not only a loss of grip, but a severe tendency to tear the tire as well.

Without warmers you need half your session to get Race tires up to temp before you can really use them in anger. This is no problem if you are a control rider just going out to have fun 2 out of every 3 sessions all day long and can afford to take it easy until the tires are ready. If you are paying for your sessions nobody wants to waste half their 20 session in between 40 minute cool downs getting the tires up to temp before they can really hammer them.

If you are not riding at A-Group pace then street tires are the better choice for the vast majority of riders. Tire Warmers are a time consuming pain in the ass and an expense that street tires do away with. Street tires also warm up quicker than Race tires so yea a lap or two from cold and they are golden. I still to this day use the original Pilot Power street tire (not even the 2ct) when I am instructing in the Novice group, control riding in Intermediate or thinking there is a chance of rain in the forecast etc. I have used them in the A-Group as well, but there are some limitations that come up when you start moving around at the top of that group. Not that it cannot be done, but in the interest of safety a race tire is preferred at those paces, but then you are back to utilizing tire warmers again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 10-17-2016, 07:46 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I work for Pirelli
Would you recommend for lau to try Supercorsa SP and Supercorsa SC?
What is your opinion on these two?
post #23 of 29 Old 10-18-2016, 12:45 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lau View Post
,Im a lap or 2 always before i hammer down
just for safety.
I think this will actually do you a disservice if you are using slicks that have just come off warmers. You need to start generating heat right away so they don't cool down. Deep braking and robust acceleration to generate heat, but also as said above go a little easy on the lean angles until you are feeling the tyre come good.
dricked likes this.

-Woolich/Race Tools/Log Box V3|-Graves Titanium/Carbon cat eliminator|-Ohlins Mechatronic|+2 rear|Stone chips & bugs

post #24 of 29 Old 10-18-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
lau
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
I think this will actually do you a disservice if you are using slicks that have just come off warmers. You need to start generating heat right away so they don't cool down. Deep braking and robust acceleration to generate heat, but also as said above go a little easy on the lean angles until you are feeling the tyre come good.
good info but as stated I dont have warmers. So slicks wont be an option until i have a gen and a set.

With all this info it sounds like I should go back to Q3's or something,?
post #25 of 29 Old 10-18-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
lau
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Dunlop NTEC KR449 are what i ran without heaters.
And i felt like i was glued. But if I was just lucky Id rather be more safe
post #26 of 29 Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lau View Post
good info but as stated I dont have warmers. So slicks wont be an option until i have a gen and a set.

With all this info it sounds like I should go back to Q3's or something,?
Q3s work pretty well, Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas work a little better for me but they're more expensive. Both of these work just fine without warmers but they are not going to grip like a race tire. I've used both without issue in the advanced group at track days, but I would not race on them or go nuts with them at a track day.

I'm not a fan of the Supercorsa SP at all, not even on the street. I hated the Superbike Pro slicks, but the real deal Superbike slicks are bad ass.

Any true race tire really should be used in conjunction with tire warmers. Doesn't matter if they're slicks or DOTs.
LDH likes this.
post #27 of 29 Old 10-21-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
lau
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

i guess i was just lucky and both were hot so cal desert days.

ill check into suggestions ,might end up w q3's
post #28 of 29 Old 10-22-2016, 06:16 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
My two cents is really only worth about two cents but the Q3 really is surprisingly good at upper intermediate/lower advanced pace. They are consistent. They heat up fast, wear well and give notice when you have pushed them too hard. Its an economical tire to run and you don't have the pita of the warmers.
lau likes this.

post #29 of 29 Old 10-22-2016, 02:53 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
There is so much wrong information in this thread I don't even know where to begin. I might come back later and multi quote and give out some reliable info.

But, TL;DR - Beginner/Intermediate/Slow advanced pace - Dunlop Q3. Mid-pack advanced group and above? Pirelli's or Michelin's all the way. I prefer Pirelli's myself. The Kawi responds really well to them.

I am not fast, but at the tracks I ride, I average 5-7 seconds off the lap record for what it's worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.