Track day tires - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lau View Post
When I got this bike recently it came w a few sets of wheels.
One set were w slicks for the track days my friend did. So my last 2 track days felt real nice pushing hard on those things and no slips or anything like i got w my Q2's in past. Thats why I figured id buy the slicks again. But like i said i cant afford warmers presently but may get them. So IYO its not worth it without proper pre heating so to speak? I can try the Q3's, im a dunlop guy so I am quite unexperienced w other brands.
Why is it wasting rubber without warmers? educate me
You end up wasting rubber because as was said earlier, slicks are meant to operate in a certain temperature range. Riding outside of that will cause premature wear (cold tearing).

Personally I use Dunlop and always have. I would use whatever is readily available and has support where you ride.

Keep an eye out for used warmers, they come up often for reasonable prices. I'll have a set up for sale soon. Generator is a bit of an investment. I've been using the Champion 2000W inverter for 4 seasons without a hiccup. It's quiet and fairly cheap. Quiet is good!
lau likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 10-16-2016, 08:14 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

One lap and they're hot. The missing ingredient is confidence but that involves many variables.
post #13 of 29 Old 10-16-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
lau
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Confidence is there , I just am looking for tires and w only 2 days experience on slicks ,looking for info. Both track days i did the chill 1-2 lap and then pushed and never had a slip. Thats why im asking,
i dont know all the info on heat cycles, tearing etc. Just trying to decide on a purchase because I may or may not have a gen and warmers. the po of this bike had these slicks on and doesnt use warmers. And he is a fast competent rider. But they are tired now and looking to replace.
Long story short , without warmers on 90 degreeplus days I had zero issues. But i dont want to have future issues if my season starts in cooler temps vs after memorial day.

post #14 of 29 Old 10-17-2016, 05:15 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Long story short , without warmers on 90 degreeplus days I had zero issues. But i dont want to have future issues if my season starts in cooler temps vs after memorial day.
Pirelli "Diablo Superbike Pro" slick is a "beginner slicks" for trackday people and Pirelli says they can be used without warmers. Having used a set of them myself (with warmers thou) I can say that they are cheaper and last longer than "real" slicks.

Slicks without warmers are hard like plastic and offer less grip than a street tyre.
I imagine using slicks without warmers only if ground is hot to touch with hand.
Other than that, it takes many-many laps to heat them up properly and on colder day you cannot bring them up to temperature (at least 170F for rear). If you can, then cold tear has destroyed much of your expensive item in progress.

+1 for warmers.
post #15 of 29 Old 10-17-2016, 11:29 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos76 View Post
Pirelli "Diablo Superbike Pro" slick is a "beginner slicks" for trackday people and Pirelli says they can be used without warmers. Having used a set of them myself (with warmers thou) I can say that they are cheaper and last longer than "real" slicks.

Slicks without warmers are hard like plastic and offer less grip than a street tyre.
I imagine using slicks without warmers only if ground is hot to touch with hand.
Other than that, it takes many-many laps to heat them up properly and on colder day you cannot bring them up to temperature (at least 170F for rear). If you can, then cold tear has destroyed much of your expensive item in progress.

+1 for warmers.
Too bad they stopped making the Pros. Was a good endurance/trackday tire.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #16 of 29 Old 10-17-2016, 11:48 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
One lap and they're hot. The missing ingredient is confidence but that involves many variables.
No, just straight up no. There's a reason why EVERY SINGLE RACER uses warmers and it's not because we have no confidence or enough "loop" experience.
evallarta1, LDH and Cyclotron like this.
post #17 of 29 Old 10-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evallarta1 View Post
Too bad they stopped making the Pros. Was a good endurance/trackday tire.
Indeed, I asked my tyre supplier and he said Pirelli has now SC3, but it is not replacing PRO. It is cold whether and endurance tyre, but more inline with SC2 and needs warmers. However Metzeler CompK slick is pretty much same as Pirellis PRO.
post #18 of 29 Old 10-17-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
lau
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for info fellas. I just read the shit out of some blogs etc on the Pros and they sound like the tire for me esp until warmers and gen are in the budget.
So they still sell them or no.? I will start seeking a source.
And as i read and said ,Im a lap or 2 always before i hammer down
just for safety.
Ranjit1194 likes this.
post #19 of 29 Old 10-17-2016, 02:28 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Metzeler CompK is still avaliable in Europe.

Warnings (personal experience):
a) First time out with completely cold tyre/rim, there is no margin for error and you can lose it before knee down.
b) Don't use front slick in cold whether without warmers, because it just stays cold.
c) Lapping fast on street tyre dangerous and lapping slow on slick is dagerous too.
d) To heat up tyres do not cruise, brake and hammer hard, just use less lean angle.
post #20 of 29 Old 10-17-2016, 02:54 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Thanks for info fellas. I just read the shit out of some blogs etc on the Pros and they sound like the tire for me esp until warmers and gen are in the budget.
So they still sell them or no.? I will start seeking a source.
And as i read and said ,Im a lap or 2 always before i hammer down
just for safety.
You might be able to find some leftovers, but they have discontinued making them.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.