LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by lun471k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@ninja10r View Post
I guess it all boils down to preference when it comes to riding gear and price of course but you get what you pay for!
Most of the time you do, sometimes you go cheap and still pay to much for what it's worth (and should've went for a real brand with real quality instead).

Some guys around town are bragging that they bought their leather suit from a random Pakistani dude that stitches them himself and sells them for $450.

First thing I asked is how these suits held up in a crash, and they couldn't asnwer.
I cringed pretty hard. I'd rather pay $550+ for an entry level suit from a known brand than save a hundred buck to see the suit auto-destroy itself on the first lowside.

That's also why I went with higher quality gloves in the end.
Yup I agree 110%, you get what you pay for, never go cheap when has to do with your safety and life. Bike is replaceable not your life.
lun471k likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@ninja10r View Post
Yup I agree 110%, you get what you pay for, never go cheap when has to do with your safety and life. Bike is replaceable not your life.
Exactly, for me the biggest fear is the long healing time, rehab and potentially life altering injuries that never go away.

I'm not rich by any means but with the exception of gloves every other piece of gear lasts for quite awhile, so I just slowly bought top tier gear one piece at a time until I had everything. Made a few mistakes along the way and bought some stuff I regret and had to replace (all of it alpinestars that wasn't their highest end) but after some years now I'm set.

I started with decent boots (I thought they would be better than they were based on cost) and good gloves since I think feet and hands are the most important things to avoid being injured. Used high quality gear can sometimes be found for surprisingly good prices if you have time to wait.

I sometimes want to cry when I add up the cost of all my gear, but all it takes for me to feel better is remembering how much rehab sucks and how fucked so many people are because of injuries that could have been easily prevented with good gear.
post #23 of 26 Old 03-09-2018, 07:59 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Money can't buy your health!once your body gets Brocken it never heals 100%!it doesn't matter if your 21yo you think that Brocken leg healed up great!once you hit 50yo then all these old injuries are back in your life!hands are something we take for granted and I once thought high end/$ gloves were a waste of money!I was wrong in every way!protection and comfort is money well spent so don't ever think twice about moving up and spending a little more!honestly just the comfort riding with the best glove opposed to the cheaper with less features sells itself after hours on a bike!the great thing for all of us is competition in the market!Astars,Dainese,Held,Knox just to name a few!$10 head $10 helmet.......

post #24 of 26 Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
Exactly, for me the biggest fear is the long healing time, rehab and potentially life altering injuries that never go away.

I'm not rich by any means but with the exception of gloves every other piece of gear lasts for quite awhile, so I just slowly bought top tier gear one piece at a time until I had everything. Made a few mistakes along the way and bought some stuff I regret and had to replace (all of it alpinestars that wasn't their highest end) but after some years now I'm set.

I started with decent boots (I thought they would be better than they were based on cost) and good gloves since I think feet and hands are the most important things to avoid being injured. Used high quality gear can sometimes be found for surprisingly good prices if you have time to wait.

I sometimes want to cry when I add up the cost of all my gear, but all it takes for me to feel better is remembering how much rehab sucks and how fucked so many people are because of injuries that could have been easily prevented with good gear.
This is so true, hell every Spring I look at the registration fees for my bike and everytime I can only think "That's $2,800 with insurance and I haven't even rode a single mile yet". As a 25yo who's not doing 5 billion a year, this is a huge piece of money. If I add up the gear and maintenance fees, almost 25% of my yearly salary goes into my bike alone, and I ride it only 7-8 months a year.

But hey, it's worth it, right ?
post #25 of 26 Old 03-13-2018, 12:50 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I get this question a lot.

What is the difference between a crash in the street and a crash in the track?
Is the crash in the street less severe than in track?

Most street based gloves are a joke with very limited protection.
However they are very comfy.

I personally always ride with Taichi GPX-Evo. In my prev crash, the GP spec glove was ripped however it saved my fingers and hand.
Imagine if it was a normal street based glove.

post #26 of 26 Old 03-13-2018, 03:13 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
No difference between street and track except 1 thing!cars!you do get road and race gloves,with race gloves and depending on brand and price it's high protection and comfort focused!road gloves are for protection and comfort but will have riding temperatures in mind!Winter gloves!hot weather riding gloves!and again it's up to you and your budget how far or what direction you choose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in