Gen 3: 2008-2010 Throttlebody noise - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-13-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Throttlebody noise

Just curious does the gen 3 throttlebody give out a high frequency low amplitude type constant whining noise? Normal, not really? It’s loud enough to where I can hear it over the motor if I’m close to the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-14-2018, 09:18 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezx10r View Post
Just curious does the gen 3 throttlebody give out a high frequency low amplitude type constant whining noise? Normal, not really? Itís loud enough to where I can hear it over the motor if Iím close to the tank.
The TBs should not be overly loud like you're describing. But the subthrottle actuator will make a a high frequency sound when it's trying to position itself and adjust the secondaries. You'll be able to hear it, but it shouldn't be louder than the engine noise, especially with a helmet on. What you're describing doesn't sound right.

Are you positive the noise is coming from the TBs? Is your exhaust servo hunting for position and that's what you're hearing instead?

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 5 Old 05-14-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I had my seat off and saw the servo move when the bike started then went to the set position. I know the noise is coming from under the tank and it sounds like it's my throttle bodies. The throttle bodies make an adjusting noise when the bike turns on as well, but then they just keep ringing. No helmet on, its not too loud, but it's there.

I also related it to the throttle bodies because my bike idled for a minute the first time I started it up, then very very slowly died. The only way it didnt die is is I adjusted the position of the flaps with the screw on the side of the bike, and it runs fine now, but still has the humm

Side note, I did an engine swap, but didnt touch the position of the throttle bodies.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-14-2018, 01:35 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezx10r View Post
I had my seat off and saw the servo move when the bike started then went to the set position. I know the noise is coming from under the tank and it sounds like it's my throttle bodies. The throttle bodies make an adjusting noise when the bike turns on as well, but then they just keep ringing. No helmet on, its not too loud, but it's there.

I also related it to the throttle bodies because my bike idled for a minute the first time I started it up, then very very slowly died. The only way it didnt die is is I adjusted the position of the flaps with the screw on the side of the bike, and it runs fine now, but still has the humm

Side note, I did an engine swap, but didnt touch the position of the throttle bodies.
OK. The G3 uses direct-control primary butterflies and electrically controlled secondaries. You turn the throttle, the primary valves open. The ECU controls the secondaries based on gearing, throttle position, and other other factors.

When the motor that drives the secondaries actuates, it is audible. It should move and the noise should basically stop. The only time the sound should be there is when the motor is repositioning. But depending on how often it hunts for the proper position will determine how loud it is. If the motor is straining to reposition, it will be louder than it should be. A minor hum is one thing, but a louder audible noise that's constant is not normal. It's hard to make that determination from the other side of a keyboard here.

If it's from under the tank, that is not from your exhaust servo. But, are you hearing the fuel pump perhaps? The fuel pump is in the bottom of the tank near the TBs. It's possible that maybe you're hearing the pump running.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 5 Old 05-15-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Great input. I’ll do some more digging with the tank up. I can only here it when I’m at idle or moving under 10mph. And sometimes I feel like it’s not even there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in