Thoughts on a New Bike - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 Old 02-18-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Thoughts on a New Bike

Gents of the beloved 10R forum. I come to you for your unbiased opinions!

Looking into getting another bike, and Ive decided not a supersport for thr street much anymore. I want to get a supernaked. And the choice is a difficult one indeed. 2016 models only for this, Tuono 1100 Factory vs KTM 1290 Superduke R. Both can be had for $14k now that theyre outgoing model year. Both seem outstanding, Ive read a lot of the only stuff. Reviews. Comparisons.

I cant conclude anything for myself, and I have yet to come by a test ride yet, but Ive been able to sit, stare and look over and stuff. Its been a long haul of research. So now I look to you guys, maybe some of you have experience here and can add to my wealth of knowledge from research only.

Both are comfortable, I like them both from the appearances. Most of the riding Id do is highway commutes with some traffic, and some mountain roads. Trackdays are possible at some point. The 10R may serve me for that also though. Im undecided on if I should keep the 10R too, or trade-in. Girlfriend thinks I should keep it and that Id be too heartbroken if I sold or traded it.

Anyways, thats kinda it. Just going through the process of next bike decision making and could use some extra help or people to talk through it with that have some experience. Thanks guys.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 Old 02-18-2017, 11:17 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Tuono all the way. A V4 is like nothing else. Go for it.

The Superduke is one ugly motorcycle. It's got the power and the riding position to have my license revoked in short order. I don't know what it is about the KTM. Something about it makes me want to abuse it in so many ways.

My opinion is worthless. I've never ridden either and if I had the money to buy a new bike I probably wouldn't give serious consideration to either. I'm a sucker for a V4 though. There really is nothing else like it for me.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.
post #3 of 99 Old 02-18-2017, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Lol noones opinion is worthless to me. In this, it counts as much as mine because I havent ridden either also. I love the V4, but that thumpin twin in the Duke is pretty bitchin too. Ive only ever owned Japanese inline 4s so I want to explore a bit more of the motorcycling world with this next one. Specifically just sportbikes.

Im curious, why would you never consider either? Just not into the supernakeds?

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

post #4 of 99 Old 02-19-2017, 08:36 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I was in the same boat recently. I made my 16 zx10r track only. And bought a 2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 (naked). I looked at the z1000, tuono, super duke, fz10, cb1000r, Monster 1200 S. In the end, the gsx-s made more power and had more features than any of the jap competitors, was more affordable and dependable than the euro models, and comes with abs, traction control, and a host of in dash features. Plus I paid $9,300 otd and I love it. Fully adjustable front suspension and great low end torque for street riding. I am able to hang with my buddies on 1000cc bikes on the street. I am taking it to the track for the first time this coming weekend with the zx10. So we shall see how well it does in that environment.

If I had more money I would have gotten a tuono, but the only one i wanted was the factory model, and those are big bucks. Now if I could only have one bike, it would be a tuono factory. Because with a Tuono Factory, you can ride the track the a super bike, and yet, be comfortable and have fun on the street. Even though that bike is still geared kinda tall for the street.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #5 of 99 Old 02-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

My opinion is slightly biased but have you looked at the Ducati 939 Hypermotard? While I know the Hyper isn't quite in the same category as the others but it is a great bike. The Duc is an awesome motorcycle, and more than a match for either of those bikes you mentioned for traffic duty and mountain roads. Out of the three, parts availability for the Ducati's are much better, the Testastretta 11 engine is very reliable, the sound they make are like angels singing, and the Hyper is shite tons of fun to ride. I also personally think the bike looks beautiful too.

Out of the two you mentioned I'd go with the Aprilia, because parts. The sound it makes it great too. Never rode either though.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #6 of 99 Old 02-19-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
I was in the same boat recently. I made my 16 zx10r track only. And bought a 2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 (naked). I looked at the z1000, tuono, super duke, fz10, cb1000r, Monster 1200 S. In the end, the gsx-s made more power and had more features than any of the jap competitors, was more affordable and dependable than the euro models, and comes with abs, traction control, and a host of in dash features. Plus I paid $9,300 otd and I love it. Fully adjustable front suspension and great low end torque for street riding. I am able to hang with my buddies on 1000cc bikes on the street. I am taking it to the track for the first time this coming weekend with the zx10. So we shall see how well it does in that environment.

If I had more money I would have gotten a tuono, but the only one i wanted was the factory model, and those are big bucks. Now if I could only have one bike, it would be a tuono factory. Because with a Tuono Factory, you can ride the track the a super bike, and yet, be comfortable and have fun on the street. Even though that bike is still geared kinda tall for the street.
So biggest thing was all of our limiting factor, money? Im in agreement that the japanese bikes would be better value in what you get for how much you paid. And the reliability plus frequency of dealers and such. Ive been waiting for this year because now the 16s are outgoing, and Im sure I wont be able to land a Tuono or Duke for under 10, not including fees, but they can be had for much cheaper than they were originally selling for. Thats for sure. I definitely want the factory of the Tuono options. Though the 1100RR can be had for 12s or under now. So thats not terrible either.

I watched a long review about the Japense minus FZ10, Tuono, Speed Triple and Monster and though they seemed to prefer the Tuono and Speed Triple to everything, the Suzuki and Kawi were definitely held as pretty good bikes and the best of the Japanese bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_honez View Post
My opinion is slightly biased but have you looked at the Ducati 939 Hypermotard? While I know the Hyper isn't quite in the same category as the others but it is a great bike. The Duc is an awesome motorcycle, and more than a match for either of those bikes you mentioned for traffic duty and mountain roads. Out of the three, parts availability for the Ducati's are much better, the Testastretta 11 engine is very reliable, the sound they make are like angels singing, and the Hyper is shite tons of fun to ride. I also personally think the bike looks beautiful too.

Out of the two you mentioned I'd go with the Aprilia, because parts. The sound it makes it great too. Never rode either though.
I had not even thought about it. I just read some stuff on it since you mentioned it. Seems like a pretty wild bike for sure. One review mentioned it being a niche bike, sort of, and I can see why. The dirt bike look might not appeal to some people. I dont find it to be the most appealing for a road going dirt bike appearance, I think I prefer the look of a superduke, but thats not my reason why it didnt land on my list, its the electronics package. I know that if they go out, youre up shits creek, but Id like to have something with all if the new tech. ABS. Traction control. All the little gadgets just to try them out. Im not this great skilled rider, so theyd definitely help me and keep me safer. Or learn where I can push further while having something ti cover my ass.

Im not disagreeing with you over the hypermotard, it looks like a total hooligan bike. Big smile kinda bike you can mess around on. Hows yours?

post #7 of 99 Old 02-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

In just went through a similar decision and I could never get past the following question...

What does a super naked (Tuono, FZ10, S1000R, etc) do that a Gen 4 or 5 ZX-10R (with mods to suit) does not do as well or better?

Those looking for additional bikes for their stable I think the answer is simply...I want something different. BTW, my number 2 choice and close runner-up ended up being a Triumph Street Triple R. If I had not ended up with a great local deal on a minty ZX-10R it might have won out.

BTW, I've had at least 25+ (lost count) bikes in my life and have been riding and racing since 1988. I think every lifetime sport bike addict owes it to themselves to own something Italian at least once.

Thank you to my racing sponsors Riders Discount and Alpha1 Vinylworks

Last edited by sdiver68; 02-19-2017 at 01:00 PM.
post #8 of 99 Old 02-19-2017, 01:30 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm considering the Tuono myself as a my daily rider. Knowing and loving that V4 plays a big part of that as well as it being a likely better street bike than the full-on race replicas. Keeping the 10 is smart, because you will miss the I4 screamer if you don't have it. In my experience it takes awhile of going back and forth between the I4 and V4 to really understand and appreciate their differences (based on real life riding in your own situations and not what someone else says). I can't speak for the twins much, but I definitely wouldn't mind having one in the stable for the right money. And that triple is a hell of a fun ride too, although I prefer the middleweight Daytona 675 over the bigger motors.
MrMoto73 likes this.
post #9 of 99 Old 02-19-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
In just went through a similar decision and I could never get past the following question...

What does a super naked (Tuono, FZ10, S1000R, etc) do that a Gen 4 or 5 ZX-10R (with mods to suit) does not do as well or better?

Those looking for additional bikes for their stable I think the answer is simply...I want something different. BTW, my number 2 choice and close runner-up ended up being a Triumph Street Triple R. If I had not ended up with a great local deal on a minty ZX-10R it might have won out.

BTW, I've had at least 25+ (lost count) bikes in my life and have been riding and racing since 1988. I think every lifetime sport bike addict owes it to themselves to own something Italian at least once.
Biggest reason is something different. Youre spot on. Ive owned my Gen 1 10R for 6 years now. Ive had 3 bikes, 600RR, ZX6R and this 10R. None newer than 2005. I want something different. Something new. Theres a lot of things changing for me in getting a new bike. Im looking for solutions to having 2 bikes. Dont have much in the way of space really, but Im looking into shed options to store them. No garage space. And it gives me something thats sport riding with a more comfortable position to just putz around on. Spot on assessment of wanting a change though.

And I want to see more of the motorcycling world. Just not going too far out there yet, with the chojce of supernaked from europe giving a new feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennice View Post
I'm considering the Tuono myself as a my daily rider. Knowing and loving that V4 plays a big part of that as well as it being a likely better street bike than the full-on race replicas. Keeping the 10 is smart, because you will miss the I4 screamer if you don't have it. In my experience it takes awhile of going back and forth between the I4 and V4 to really understand and appreciate their differences (based on real life riding in your own situations and not what someone else says). I can't speak for the twins much, but I definitely wouldn't mind having one in the stable for the right money. And that triple is a hell of a fun ride too, although I prefer the middleweight Daytona 675 over the bigger motors.
Never ridden anything besides my I4 bikes and a very short trip down the block on my friends street triple. Not long enough to learn or draw conclusions. Its why I want to see something different. Everyone raves about the V4 and its the sexiness of the Tuono and its sporting prowess that gets me. The Super Duke, it looks bitchin, seems like a great choice and as a pure street rider, would bd the slight better choice than a Tuono just because of gas mileage, heated grips, slightly more upright seating. Thats what makes it so difficult. I want to keep the 10R dream alive though and not sell the bike Ive had and loved for so long. Im not sure if trading to something else and potentially picking up a Gen 5 in a couple years wouldnt be the smart choice. Or anything. Love my Gen 1 though. Beautiful. Crazy. Lol.

post #10 of 99 Old 02-19-2017, 05:12 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post

Never ridden anything besides my I4 bikes and a very short trip down the block on my friends street triple. Not long enough to learn or draw conclusions. Its why I want to see something different. Everyone raves about the V4 and its the sexiness of the Tuono and its sporting prowess that gets me. The Super Duke, it looks bitchin, seems like a great choice and as a pure street rider, would bd the slight better choice than a Tuono just because of gas mileage, heated grips, slightly more upright seating. Thats what makes it so difficult. I want to keep the 10R dream alive though and not sell the bike Ive had and loved for so long. Im not sure if trading to something else and potentially picking up a Gen 5 in a couple years wouldnt be the smart choice. Or anything. Love my Gen 1 though. Beautiful. Crazy. Lol.
All very good points - the Tuono is still more sport than street, and if gas mileage is an important criteria than look elsewhere than the V4. I think the smart choice is to go with your heart, especially when it comes to a 2nd bike. Funny thing about already having a bike you love is that there's no pressure, and making a change isn't such a disruptive thing as if you only had one ride, or even had 2 that you could take or leave. Whatever you end up with, you'll likely find that you'll ride one a fair bit more than the other for whatever reason and the other will become expendable. You might choose to replace that expendable one with something else, or decide that you're good with just one bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.