Thoughts on a New Bike - Page 8 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 77 Old 03-04-2017, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I have Spaz. 2 things about it, the I4 and its character are a big reason that keeps me.out of wanting one. I want something with a but more character, not described as "clincal" And the second reason is one of my good buddy wants one, and we just cant have that. where we both have the same bike. And Im of the "think only a mother could love that face" camp. Just not something that speaks to me. Even though all the gadgetry checks every box with the cruise control and heated grips and adjustable suspension.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 77 Old 03-04-2017, 01:12 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
In just went through a similar decision and I could never get past the following question...

What does a super naked (Tuono, FZ10, S1000R, etc) do that a Gen 4 or 5 ZX-10R (with mods to suit) does not do as well or better?

Those looking for additional bikes for their stable I think the answer is simply...I want something different. BTW, my number 2 choice and close runner-up ended up being a Triumph Street Triple R. If I had not ended up with a great local deal on a minty ZX-10R it might have won out.

BTW, I've had at least 25+ (lost count) bikes in my life and have been riding and racing since 1988. I think every lifetime sport bike addict owes it to themselves to own something Italian at least once.
The main difference is most have different power delivery. They generally have less bhp and more tourque or torque lower down the rev range. This makes them more road friendly and on some roads faster than a sports bike. On roads with alot of stop start riding you want more grunt and less revs. I find a zx10r is not enjoyable unles i can find an open fast road. If i could afford it id have a second street bike. I like the new kawasaki 1000 but i must admit the suzuki does look like its a nice bike. Money no object option for sound alone would be a tuano 1100 for me
post #73 of 77 Old 03-04-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

^in agreement there. Thats the main thing, road usability. Its not that Id call my 10R uncomfortable. Its not. But low speed, start stop, traffic, it begins to feel cumbersome and fatiguing. Ive ridden it to work half of this week and its been great for traffic above 35 (lane splitting is legal here) and out on the open highway. I dont mind tucking and laying on the tank for commuting down the freeway, so long as the road is somewhat open. I dont mind it for being out on the backroads in the mountains, but not for being behind an SUV doing 30 in a 55. Its brilliantly capable when you find its purpose, be it backroads or track riding or drag racing. Its even comfortable when blasting around on the streets as long as its not stop/start traffic.

It really is and Ive had a blast for about 85% of the riding of been doing this week. The problem is the aggresiveness of the throttle response. Its razor like abilities hinder it for just general day to day commuting, because it always wants to go. Its not happy under 5k. It doesnt like having a lot of fancy clutch work and darting around cars to not be hit doing 11mph. This is where it kind of suffers and I hate dragging it through it because the whole time its just yelling back at me about what kind of moron subjects a SuperBike to this nonsense. And this is where a street tuned SuperNaked comes in. Its not meant to be the end all, be all of performance, that displays its racing pedigree at all times and demands aggression in its ride. Thats great fun, but the idea of something that is more oriented for use in the low and mid range is appealing. Something that can knock heads, but doesnt ask to, doesnt require it. Thats what Im looking for.

These superbikes hate the commutes like that. And thats where I find the flexibility and versatility of a bike like a supernaked to come in. Its not geared long. It doesnt have the biggest cams with the longest duration or a suspension that reports on every imperfectly laid bit of asphalt. Its like buying a luxury sport sedan in a sense. Its comfortable, well appointed, and without being the ultimate performance car, it still delivers a thrilling sensation. Thats what I get from these SuperNakeds.
obijack likes this.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

post #74 of 77 Old 03-04-2017, 02:37 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes. Times have changed too. The uprights used to be way off the performance of the sports bikes but now they are not far off and are not that much heavier so here in the uk it seems most bikes sold are street style bikes. Not many superbikes are sold in the uk in comparisson
post #75 of 77 Old 03-04-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Thats something interesting to consider. I havent actually looked into what sells more. I thunk with the emergence of performance nakeds at any level that the market is shifting to it. Now being many 1000s and some smaller displacement bikes. Still, I typically see a lot of supersports out and about riding. In curious to the numbers in sales now though.

post #76 of 77 Old 03-04-2017, 04:47 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Thats something interesting to consider. I havent actually looked into what sells more. I thunk with the emergence of performance nakeds at any level that the market is shifting to it. Now being many 1000s and some smaller displacement bikes. Still, I typically see a lot of supersports out and about riding. In curious to the numbers in sales now though.
Well i follow the shop i bought my zx10 from on facebook and they seem to sell mainly uprights. Infact 4 kawasakis sold today and all 4 uprights.
post #77 of 77 Old 03-04-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

CycleShell Enclosure - Outdoor Motorcycle Cover - Protection

Has any seen, used or know anyone thats used these? Its what Im looking at to make the solution for space and motorcycle housing. Seems pretty solid to me, good reviews from independent sources are worth their weight in gold though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.