Thoughts on a New Bike - Page 5 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 99 Old 02-23-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore
 
-Op-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,019
Posting Frequency
          
Yeeeah, I have that same feeling about my 10R, but after this ride, Im not so sure that I would be unhappy with only a Tuono. I definitely want to try out the Duke still and see, hopefully that can happen this weekend. Ill get you a review when I get a shot at it. That was also my first review of a motorcycle. Hopefully it was good and helpful.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
-Op- is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 99 Old 02-24-2017, 07:21 AM
Track Day Rider
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 106
Posting Frequency
 
How accustomed are you to Japanese bike reliability?

Iíll put it this way; most of the Ducati internet forums have a Sticky post along the lines of ďIs a Ducati right for me?Ē Iíve not owned an Aprilia, though Iíve heard quite similar tales of woe from a multi-brand dealer owner who also service the Ďprillers. You may love the bikes now, but how much will you still love them the first time they leave you stranded? The 2nd? How much while itís sitting in the shop waiting for a part from a recall campaign, only itís August and the factory is shut down that month... These are things to consider before you buy, or you will be lamenting them after you buy!

It is definitely a lot easier with more than one bike in the stable, but be cognizant of what youíre thinking about buying long term.
smurfslayer is offline  
post #43 of 99 Old 02-24-2017, 08:09 AM
WSB Rider
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: North East FL
Posts: 505
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennice View Post
Just saw your question from before. I have NOT yet had a chance to ride the the 1100 Factory, as the shop in town that used to allow test rides decided not to sell Aprilia anymore. However, everyone I've talked to who has ridden is has similar reports to what you experienced.

I absolutely love my RSV4 still. It's the only bike I've ever owned for this long, and I really have no desire to get rid of it. I've had zero electrical or mechanical issues with it other than the tank bulging that most of the Euro bikes get due to ethanol (replaced under warranty). The reason I'm considering the Tuono is for the extra down low grunt and upright riding position, as the RSV4 is a horrible commuter for my route, and ANY superbike would be just as bad. I thought about a Gen 5 for my canyon and track riding, but I just feel so at home with the V4 and the trusty old ZX6R that I just haven't been able to justify to myself (let alone my wife) that I need one just yet. However, in another year or 2 I may seek out a used Gen 4 to fill that I-4 screamer role. I've always been intrigued by the twins too though, and checked out the KTM RC8 before they quit production. The Duke is a cool bike too. Looking forward to your review.
Was at a track day the other day and a guy was riding an rc8. He said it is not on the same level as the current superbikes. He cannot find parts for it and the lower fairings scrape the ground when leaned over on the track lol. If you like twins, get an RC51. I had one, wish I never sold it. Such a beautiful bike and a sound like no other. Plus it has a short, but rich racing history.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
obijack is offline  
 
post #44 of 99 Old 02-24-2017, 09:18 AM
Track Day Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 187
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post
How accustomed are you to Japanese bike reliability?

Iíll put it this way; most of the Ducati internet forums have a Sticky post along the lines of ďIs a Ducati right for me?Ē Iíve not owned an Aprilia, though Iíve heard quite similar tales of woe from a multi-brand dealer owner who also service the Ďprillers. You may love the bikes now, but how much will you still love them the first time they leave you stranded? The 2nd? How much while itís sitting in the shop waiting for a part from a recall campaign, only itís August and the factory is shut down that month... These are things to consider before you buy, or you will be lamenting them after you buy!

It is definitely a lot easier with more than one bike in the stable, but be cognizant of what youíre thinking about buying long term.
Woah...Buzzkill is strong in this one

For every story of woe (which gets the biggest press), there are thousands of happy owners you don't hear from...Same with Ducati...Since 2007 and the 1098, they been using Germans for their QC...Surprise...Bikes more reliable, but I digress

I've been around bikes a while and Aprilia was my first brand and I still see whats what on the AF1 forum.

The old Rotax engine bikes were about as reliable as the Japanese...Only issues I remember were clocks forgetting mileage, and rear master cylinder being too close to exhaust making rear brakes not work properly...Side stand being at a silly angle...All were easily and cheaply resolved.

The current Aprilia bikes are pretty bulletproof too...There are a lot of electronics on them, and like everything, they can go wrong (even the Japanese fail here...I've seen probs with gen 4 ZX10Rs).

Part availability is an issue for you US people I hear as there is not a great dealer presence there, so that can be a concern.

A used example with decent mileage (and know many see this as a bad thing) might be an option, as most if not all issues would likely have been dealt with.

Just my thoughts....Yeah the V4s sound awesome and i can understand why -Op- liked the bike.
10Arghh is offline  
post #45 of 99 Old 02-24-2017, 09:36 AM
GP Star
 
SpazOnaZX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: S.V. Arizona
Posts: 2,617
Posting Frequency
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Yeeeah, I have that same feeling about my 10R, but after this ride, Im not so sure that I would be unhappy with only a Tuono. I definitely want to try out the Duke still and see, hopefully that can happen this weekend. Ill get you a review when I get a shot at it. That was also my first review of a motorcycle. Hopefully it was good and helpful.
Dude, I love nekkid bikes and streetfighters... it's a borderline obseesion. With that said, here's some brain food: If you like the Tuono experience, why not have a mod adventure with a mid/late-2000's I-4 superbike? You can get them relatively cheap, strip them down, put whatever handlebar you like on it, gear the ever-loving-shit out of them, and BOOM, shennanigans! Go crazy and put quality aftermarket suspension on it too! And you save about 8 grand in the process. If you must have "new tech" (traction control and such), you can work with a newer generation superbike that already has it.... but traction control & abs are kinda useless when one wheel or another is in the air. ;) If cool exhaust notes are the goal, do it to a cross-plane R1.

Nice 10R Streetfighter... ;)

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
SpazOnaZX is offline  
post #46 of 99 Old 02-24-2017, 09:37 PM
GP Rider
 
bennice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver area
Posts: 1,406
Posting Frequency
    
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post
How accustomed are you to Japanese bike reliability?

Iíll put it this way; most of the Ducati internet forums have a Sticky post along the lines of ďIs a Ducati right for me?Ē Iíve not owned an Aprilia, though Iíve heard quite similar tales of woe from a multi-brand dealer owner who also service the Ďprillers. You may love the bikes now, but how much will you still love them the first time they leave you stranded? The 2nd? How much while itís sitting in the shop waiting for a part from a recall campaign, only itís August and the factory is shut down that month... These are things to consider before you buy, or you will be lamenting them after you buy!

It is definitely a lot easier with more than one bike in the stable, but be cognizant of what youíre thinking about buying long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
Woah...Buzzkill is strong in this one

For every story of woe (which gets the biggest press), there are thousands of happy owners you don't hear from...Same with Ducati...Since 2007 and the 1098, they been using Germans for their QC...Surprise...Bikes more reliable, but I digress

I've been around bikes a while and Aprilia was my first brand and I still see whats what on the AF1 forum.

The old Rotax engine bikes were about as reliable as the Japanese...Only issues I remember were clocks forgetting mileage, and rear master cylinder being too close to exhaust making rear brakes not work properly...Side stand being at a silly angle...All were easily and cheaply resolved.

The current Aprilia bikes are pretty bulletproof too...There are a lot of electronics on them, and like everything, they can go wrong (even the Japanese fail here...I've seen probs with gen 4 ZX10Rs).

Part availability is an issue for you US people I hear as there is not a great dealer presence there, so that can be a concern.

A used example with decent mileage (and know many see this as a bad thing) might be an option, as most if not all issues would likely have been dealt with.

Just my thoughts....Yeah the V4s sound awesome and i can understand why -Op- liked the bike.
Yeah, the myth of unreliable Italian bikes is still alive and thriving on the interwebs...lol. Truth is that there are definitely some lemons out there, just like with any brand of any automobile. And it is absolutely true that dealer support completely sucks in many areas. Some of the shitty dealers are part of the reason the myth persists, because they don't know how to work on anything except the Japanese I-4's, and squids who buy them don't understand that they can't go WFO on one wheel for 20K miles without an oil change or valve adjustment, or can't just toss a PCV and fart can on and have it run well. I certainly can't speak for everyone, but my 2010 (widely considered as a "bad" year) has had no issues, and has never left me stranded. And it doesn't get babied. In fact, it's happiest in triple digits...which is part of the reason it's not a good commuter.

But as smarfslayer mentioned, a lot of that is a non-factor when you have more than 1 ride. Even if you wind up with something that needs some work once in awhile, you're still able to be out on 2 wheels.
bennice is offline  
post #47 of 99 Old 02-24-2017, 09:47 PM
GP Rider
 
bennice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Denver area
Posts: 1,406
Posting Frequency
    
Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
Was at a track day the other day and a guy was riding an rc8. He said it is not on the same level as the current superbikes. He cannot find parts for it and the lower fairings scrape the ground when leaned over on the track lol. If you like twins, get an RC51. I had one, wish I never sold it. Such a beautiful bike and a sound like no other. Plus it has a short, but rich racing history.
I've heard that too. It has no where near the top end of the other modern liter bikes, and is no where near as polished. What fascinated me about the bike was the sound, the characteristics of a twin, and the unique and subjectively attractive aesthetics. I wouldn't have owned one as an only/primary bike. When they announced that they were discontinuing the model, those thoughts were squashed.

The RC51 is one that is always interesting. A guy in my neighborhood has one, and sometimes we leave in the AM around the same time for work. The sound is intoxicating
bennice is offline  
post #48 of 99 Old 02-25-2017, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore
 
-Op-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,019
Posting Frequency
          
So Im having trouble with my multi-quote option on my bike to respond to everyone, so just cherry pick out the parts of my response here about what everyone has had to say.


Spaz, how the hell are ya man? Its been a while. Hope the turbo projects are going well! Ive toted with something like that idea somewhat. Ive pushed away from that. I definitely want something newer. Id really like to experience an exotic on top of all things and the vanity of having an Italian bike, especially with a V4. The Tuono just looks brilliant to me and it felt incredible to ride. It was what Id imagined when I got my test ride. Im actually not shooting for massive hooliganism, which I know these bikes are fully capable of. These super nakeds are just something else, and Aprilia's APRC has me intrigued. Especially since a lot of reviews peg them as the best factory electronics stuff. So its not necessarily just about having a superbike with handlebars. If you havent had the chance, go test ride one. It is damn impressive!

Definitely a small buzz kill with the reliability talk, but there is some truth in it. It may not be as reliable as a Japanese I4 bike, but everything indicates they are majorly improved and there are many cases like Bennice's, who have no.problems. Which is a good confidence booster for sure. Additionally for me, I have acar to drive if I need to service the bike, and the big plus is that I have 2 Aprilia and 2 KTM dealers with 30 miles of where I live. Its not something too scary. Yeah, parts may be harder to come by, a bit, but Im not particularly concerned there

Im usually one to keep up with the standard maintenance on my vehicles too, so it shouldnt be something stupid that would stop the bike. I also learned that Aprilia offers an extended warranty, unlimited mileage and out to 7 years. That may limit the modding to happen, or require going to stock when there is a problem, but thats a lot of piece of mind. Its also only $1000 for the additional 5 years.

Like I said, I want to try and land a ride on a Super Duke this weekend. No guarantees, but itd help the decision process. If I cant get a test ride, Im going with the Tuono. I cant imagine buying a bike I cant ride first.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
-Op- is offline  
post #49 of 99 Old 02-25-2017, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore
 
-Op-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 6,019
Posting Frequency
          
Also, the RC8 is a pretty wicked looking bike. Not something Id ever considered, but pretty sweet. Im just not much of a track rider, mostly commuting and canyons with some drag racing.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
-Op- is offline  
post #50 of 99 Old 02-25-2017, 07:39 AM
Squid
 
KRTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: NoVa
Posts: 39
Posting Frequency
 
I took a short test ride on a Superduke. Mixed street & highway, but didn't really get to "get" on it. I came away liking it, but not loving it. Right after that the dealer let me ride a Tuono for an even a shorter distance. Right after I twisted the throttle and took a couple turns I was amazed. As far as ownership, Im not sure which I'd own considering their reliability. I believe KTM's might be better by a hair. I'd probably take a S1kR over both, but would def have to ride the Duke again.

When you do get a chance to ride one, make sure you get to romp on it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KRTone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome