Thoughts on a New Bike - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 99 Old 02-22-2017, 10:06 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Like you said I can talk motorcycles all day long, particularly when I just went through this decision.

The Tuono really seems a natural choice, particularly at $12K for the standard and $13K for the factory that I saw Nationwide as best prices. I researched it pretty heavily.

The reason it fell off my street bike list was proven case of Aprilia invalidating the warranty for track day usage. That based on the Aprilia dealer finding track day pics of the owner on the internet. Read the warranty closely! Factoring in Italian reliability and no local dealer for me and I just could not pull the trigger.

My full consideration top list ended up:
1) Modded Gen4 ZX-10r ABS
2) 2017 Street Triple 765 RS
3) Modded Speed Triple R
4) 2017 Z900 ABS
5) New leftover S1000R
6) FZ-09 with a lot of mods!
Capncalyx likes this.

Thank you to my racing sponsors Riders Discount and Alpha1 Vinylworks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I shoot something:

Why not buy a used concours 14 ?

So that way you could ride with your girlfriend, have a bike with reliability and you can keep your beloved zx-10r for testosterone and adrenaline fix.

post #33 of 99 Old 02-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Local dealer here has a brand new Aprilia RSV4 RF marked down to $16.5k.

I'm going to check it out Friday when I am off.

201hp, <400lbs could be quite a monster.

post #34 of 99 Old 02-22-2017, 10:26 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I so wanna try a twin some day. These triples are making things interesting though...then you have the glorious V4 config. So many wonderful choices these days but im seriously thinking my next bike will either be a new/used recent 636, Daytona 675 or something 600-800cc with torque...or 1K twin. I'll always keep the 10R though and hopefully one day can track the 03 636...luckily my zx10 starts making good power around 6-8K though and the G2's already have good mid but probably nothing like the bikes i/we are looking at.
I think its interesting it seems more of us are wanting more midrange and down low power. Is it me just now noticing or catching on? Or am i really noticing a actual shift over the last 10 years of going from brute peak power to something more linear? Maybe its just a sign im maturing as a rider, at least street anyway and wanting something i dont have to keep wound up and screaming 24/7? Deep thoughts.. lol

Edit - @ Tennis Freak - And damn sexy on top of it all!!

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Live Til You Die - QOTSA
post #35 of 99 Old 02-22-2017, 10:30 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
Not read all this, but I've just sold a 2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX (you guys call them Ninja 1000) which bought spur of the moment because I was on a tour, my bike broke down, had to come home, buy something quickly, and go back out.

Anyway it was fantastic, great all rounder, good brakes, suspension, great MPG and pillion comfort. Top speed about 160 MPH (tested on the Autobahn :D ).

Only reason I don't have it now is because I had to part-ex it in order to pay for the ZX10R, but I will buy another one.

The new 2017 model is even better...Has good electronics (has an IMU) and looks more aggressive.

My opinion. Great bike. Cheaper than Italians. Probably more reliable too. :D

Include one in your test rides.
The 2017 is the first none super bike to have the internal 6 axis imu.

https://www.kawasaki.com/products/2017-Ninja-1000-ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFreak View Post
Local dealer here has a brand new Aprilia RSV4 RF marked down to $16.5k.

I'm going to check it out Friday when I am off.

201hp, <400lbs could be quite a monster.
That is a deal! What dealer is that at?
TennisFreak likes this.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS

Last edited by obijack; 02-22-2017 at 10:33 AM.
post #36 of 99 Old 02-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

^ I've seen an RF here in NoVa listed at the same price. Apparently Aprilia's lose their value worse than Kawis lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #37 of 99 Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Scout that may have been previously true, but these two, the Aprilia more so, are rather very sporty machines. But Im not looking to be the most dialed in rider all the time, and really am not a dialed in rider. I cant extract the potential of a superbike, let alone probably a 250 and Im ok woth that. This is for tooling around and having some sporting capabilities, along with some sexiness. Ive been on a superbike for over 5 years now, and supersports for almost 10, and I want to try something new and different from what I know. Your experience on the FZ1 sounds much different from the experiences Ive heard about the current generation of supernakeds. They have become comfortable motorcycles that possess close, scalpel-like handling.

As far as the CBR is concerned, you should pop in and see how it feels for you. Maybe a test ride if you canscore one and see how you like it. Maybe its what youre looking for and you can move up even sooner. If its something you want anyways. I havent been paying attention to Honda much lately since the show has been Kawi and Yamaha for the Japanese, especially with how Kawi has been killing it in WSBK.
All good. Remember that market drives design, NOT logic. Look at the racers for icon in terms of durability meaning all things about demanding the most from the bike. I thank God for those of the like of Kenny Roberts as it was he that convinced the Nippon engineers the path to supreme bike engineering. But it didn't happen over night. Around 2011 the buying market caught up to Kenny's vision. Nippon gave us the best bike EVER in the superbikes.

Don't look backward, go superbike.
post #38 of 99 Old 02-23-2017, 05:40 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
As far as the CBR is concerned, you should pop in and see how it feels for you. Maybe a test ride if you canscore one and see how you like it.
If you are talking about the new CBR 1000RR Fireblade, then I would say, out of all the superbikes I tested at the recent London Motorcycle Show, that was by far the most comfortable I've ever felt on this type of bike.

The bars to pegs ratio was spot on for my 6ft2 frame.

I imagine the bike will be very confidence inspiring at speed due to the comfort.

I've been very keen on the new GSXR 1000 as it's supposed to be back to the K5 good old days and I own a K5, but that Honda felt better to me.

Might test ride one
post #39 of 99 Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Rode a 2016 1100 Factory today. Wow. Just wow. That bike is something else. It goes with superbike prowess. I was blown away by it. The ride is smooth, supple. Power was excellent. It doesnt have much bite under 3k, but who gives a crap? The mirrors seemed slightly odd shaped to what Im used to, they kinda tear drop a bit towards the stalk. The front end in general felt a bit long, like my position relative to the front wheel. Bars were in a good position. It was upright compared to the 10R, but still forward enough to be aggressive when you want. Power was absolutely linear, but feels like a freight train. It just cranks out speed. The throttle had a bit of play, but my 10R has a Rifleman insert and it feels pretty tight, so everything Ive ever felt seems sloppy. The TC buttons, I kept hitting without knowing I was, theyre right by where you reach for the turn signal. Traction control is adjustable by just hitting a paddle. Really neat feature. The chassis is just phenomenal though. Think it through and it goes. Doesnt fight. Very neutral. Almost instantly felt at home with it. Within 3 blocks. Very very impressed. Next step is to hopefully get a test ride on a Duke this weekend.

Oh, and that sound. Wtf? Its absolutely true when the reviewers question how the bike passed noise emissions. Just wow.
obijack likes this.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

Last edited by -Op-; 02-23-2017 at 08:49 PM.
post #40 of 99 Old 02-23-2017, 09:23 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Thats what will be interesting to see. If I ride the 10R or the Duke/Tuono more when I get it. This is the furthest thing from a necessity for me, so Im taking my time. Im thinking a lot. Preparing for what I can ahead of time. I may even be overthinking it. But I know I want to be satisfied completely with the choice. Ive never owned more than 1 bike at a time and its only been a couple years that Ive had bike and car. So, new territory to me. I am kinda worried that Im going to miss out on the option to trade in the 10R if I somehow stop riding it for 90% of the riding I do if I pick up a new bike.

Bennice have you ridden the 1100 Factory? And yeah, Ive heard about gas mileage on the V4s. Ive heard the 1100 is better than the 1000 though. The Duke, people have reported 180 miles to a tank, even potentially 200 miles. This isnt a daily commuter bike, though I could use it as one in SoCal, though the V4 may be pretty hot during the summer months, or so Ive heard.
Quote:
Rode a 2016 1100 Factory today. Wow. Just wow. That bike is something else. It goes with superbike prowess. I was blown away by it. The ride is smooth, supple. Power was excellent. It doesnt have much bite under 3k, but who gives a crap? The mirrors seemed slightly odd shaped to what Im used to, they kinda tear drop a bit towards the stalk. The front end in general felt a bit long, like my position relative to the front wheel. Bars were in a good position. It was upright compared to the 10R, but still forward enough to be aggressive when you want. Power was absolutely linear, but feels like a freight train. It just cranks out speed. The throttle had a bit of play, but my 10R has a Rifleman insert and it feels pretty tight, so everything Ive ever felt seems sloppy. The TC buttons, I kept hitting without knowing I was, theyre right by where you reach for the turn signal. Traction control is adjustable by just hitting a paddle. Really neat feature. The chassis is just phenomenal though. Think it through and it goes. Doesnt fight. Very neutral. Almost instantly felt at home with it. Within 3 blocks. Very very impressed. Next step is to hopefully get a test ride on a Duke this weekend.

Oh, and that sound. Wtf? Its absolutely true when the reviewers question how the bike passed noise emissions. Just wow.
Just saw your question from before. I have NOT yet had a chance to ride the the 1100 Factory, as the shop in town that used to allow test rides decided not to sell Aprilia anymore. However, everyone I've talked to who has ridden is has similar reports to what you experienced.

I absolutely love my RSV4 still. It's the only bike I've ever owned for this long, and I really have no desire to get rid of it. I've had zero electrical or mechanical issues with it other than the tank bulging that most of the Euro bikes get due to ethanol (replaced under warranty). The reason I'm considering the Tuono is for the extra down low grunt and upright riding position, as the RSV4 is a horrible commuter for my route, and ANY superbike would be just as bad. I thought about a Gen 5 for my canyon and track riding, but I just feel so at home with the V4 and the trusty old ZX6R that I just haven't been able to justify to myself (let alone my wife) that I need one just yet. However, in another year or 2 I may seek out a used Gen 4 to fill that I-4 screamer role. I've always been intrigued by the twins too though, and checked out the KTM RC8 before they quit production. The Duke is a cool bike too. Looking forward to your review.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.