Thoughts on a New Bike - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 77 Old 02-20-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
I'm a sportbike guy at heart so I have to have that squared away first. A new RSVR would top my list until someone at Honda pulls their head out of their ass. I'm not holding my breath. Or I'd sell the ZX and pick up a couple of used bikes of my liking. Then I'd scoop up a 650 dual sport. After that, I'll consider big naked bikes. The worst thing about those bike naked bikes is knowing I'll fall in love with one. Then I'll be all kinds of screwed up! Since I don't commute on 2 wheels and strictly use it for fun, I can be a bit more discriminating. Too many bikes, only one Sasquatch.

Oh, Scout should submit himself for drug testing. Mentioning big naked bikes, especially the KTM and Aprilia in this thread, in the same sentence as Gold Wings and Harleys is blasphemy.
I see your reasoning there, and agree with it. As a fun, weekend toy to blast around on, superbikes are brilliant. While mine is usually a 4k mi/year bike now, I want to get back to some 2 wheel commuting. Used to do it on my 10R. Id like to start again on something a bit more oriented for it. Like obijack said, these are the bikes made for it. I love my 10R, but its gotta a bit tiresome to get stuck in traffic on it. Or pound highway miles, but I just love riding, and I would love doing it through my commute as well.

I most certainly appreciate a superbike, I love them. Theyre a ton of fun and whipping around on one is brillient. It just feels like a good time to make a change to me. I full well respect your position on it though, Ive been there. I was like that all through college, rock a superbike as a daily, weekend toy. It was everything. Didnt want a standard, tourer, cruiser. Had to be a sportbike. Perspective changes as you get older I guess. Now I want something comfy.

Thats where the Super Duke and Tuono come in. Toss a set of heated grips on em. Upright bars. Have a blast that way. And theyre still sporty enough to trash canyon roads. Im not a fast track rider, Im bottom half of the slow group at best. And I rarely do the track. But canyons, cruising. Thats me.

Thanks for the insight there. I love to hear other peoples perspectives. Its very interesting to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
I for one, find no joy in riding a 200hp superbike machine in city traffic. It's not comfortable and the bike hates it as much as I do. I tried other smaller bikes but they always left me wanting. A 1000cc upright is the perfect machine for the street because it is designed for the street, not the track. While my zx10 is the perfect machine for the track.
I basically included my response and agreement with you in my reply to Sasquatch
obijack likes this.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 77 Old 02-21-2017, 09:05 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hard to say without personally knowing the reliability of the Duke. My rsv4 spun a rod bearing with low mileage and was very hard to start on hot days so after that it was never same for me and aprilia. But that dont mean people out there dont have very reliable aprilias plus its a redesigned motor for 16 so they might have addressed some of the faults. personally with my experience i would buy the duke, but still a hard decision since the v4 WFO sounds like the gates of hell opened up
post #23 of 77 Old 02-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I guess I dispute the fact that super nakeds are logically better for all around use.

You can raise the bars and change rearset locations of a ZX-10R. Change gearing, add hard luggage, soften the suspension etc... It's typically lighter, more powerful and with indisputably better wind protection versus a super naked.

I completely get emotional attachments to European bikes and wanting something different. These are mostly toys after all so it comes down to personal preference. But I don't get the "better" argument.

Thank you to my racing sponsors Riders Discount and Alpha1 Vinylworks

post #24 of 77 Old 02-21-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
I guess I dispute the fact that super nakeds are logically better for all around use.

You can raise the bars and change rearset locations of a ZX-10R. Change gearing, add hard luggage, soften the suspension etc... It's typically lighter, more powerful and with indisputably better wind protection versus a super naked.

I completely get emotional attachments to European bikes and wanting something different. These are mostly toys after all so it comes down to personal preference. But I don't get the "better" argument.
I think a supernaked is just a better machine for the street because of the setup as a whole. Obviously they are all good fun and such. Im looking for something different and dont want a high RPM, peaky power motor. The idea here as to why I would rather have one is that itd be better on the streets and canyons. The motor is set up more to make power through the rev range, and lower down than a superbike. Theyre also meant to do it more from the factory, with a warranty, where I dont have to change those things. Thats why theyre better for me personally. Its not that I couldnt set up my 10R to do those things, I could, but I want something to do those things, and having a new bike with a new persepcrive is really what gets me here.

I think in out of the box set up terms, the supernakeds are better as commuter bikes. Just the nature of not being leaned all the way forward. Ive done commutes and long rides on my 10R, thats fine. I just want something different, and maybe more adept at that category. Without having to do much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnG View Post
Hard to say without personally knowing the reliability of the Duke. My rsv4 spun a rod bearing with low mileage and was very hard to start on hot days so after that it was never same for me and aprilia. But that dont mean people out there dont have very reliable aprilias plus its a redesigned motor for 16 so they might have addressed some of the faults. personally with my experience i would buy the duke, but still a hard decision since the v4 WFO sounds like the gates of hell opened up
Not too many problems. Still a couple reported hot start incidents. Other small niggles here and there. As far as the Duke, theres some stuff thats a bit worrisome. One being an issue with porous crankcase materials, another with leaky fuel tanks. Those were supposedly.sorted as they were on early models though. Im looking at the '16s specifically, so that should be handled. The Tuono is a new model for 2016 thoygh, so that all remains to be seen. Id say its kinda a toss up. The V4 wail is what really gets me with that bike though. RSV4 or Tuono. Just wow.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #25 of 77 Old 02-21-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post

I think a supernaked is just a better machine for the street because of the setup as a whole. Obviously they are all good fun and such. Im looking for something different and dont want a high RPM, peaky power motor. The idea here as to why I would rather have one is that itd be better on the streets and canyons. The motor is set up more to make power through the rev range, and lower down than a superbike. Theyre also meant to do it more from the factory, with a warranty, where I dont have to change those things. Thats why theyre better for me personally. Its not that I couldnt set up my 10R to do those things, I could, but I want something to do those things, and having a new bike with a new persepcrive is really what gets me here.

I think in out of the box set up terms, the supernakeds are better as commuter bikes. Just the nature of not being leaned all the way forward. Ive done commutes and long rides on my 10R, thats fine. I just want something different, and maybe more adept at that category. Without having to do much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnG View Post
Not too many problems. Still a couple reported hot start incidents. Other small niggles here and there. As far as the Duke, theres some stuff thats a bit worrisome. One being an issue with porous crankcase materials, another with leaky fuel tanks. Those were supposedly.sorted as they were on early models though. Im looking at the '16s specifically, so that should be handled. The Tuono is a new model for 2016 thoygh, so that all remains to be seen. Id say its kinda a toss up. The V4 wail is what really gets me with that bike though. RSV4 or Tuono. Just wow.

post #26 of 77 Old 02-21-2017, 10:36 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Fair enough.

If you aren't absolutely addicted to monster torque, check out the new Street Triple RS.

Thank you to my racing sponsors Riders Discount and Alpha1 Vinylworks
post #27 of 77 Old 02-22-2017, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I make no mind to discussing bikes with everyone. I love them. Peoples preferences. Its fun to have a good discussion about it. My thought just being that stock of stock, the naked bike is the better street bike. Mod em, all bets are off.

Ive considered the Street Triple actually, one of my friends has one. It was pretty neat. Fun little thing, felt like a scooter almost. Really easy to just do whatever feels comfortable. Flickable. Responsive. It was pretty nice. Unfortunately, I am addicted to big power and torque.

post #28 of 77 Old 02-22-2017, 06:45 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Almost bought a left over 2014 speed tripple but they are heavy and slow compared to the competition. Plus I would want the R model. Although I believe they revised them for 2017. I think a Tuono Factory could almost replace both my zx10 and gsx-s1000. With the electronics package, brembo's, ohlins, etc. and the upright position, it would be the best blend of track and street out there.

Do you guys think there is a bike that blurs the lines between street and track any better? Maybe a monster 1200S/R?

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #29 of 77 Old 02-22-2017, 06:54 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

look at the S1000r, have a friend with one, and its really something nice.
sdiver68 and obijack like this.
post #30 of 77 Old 02-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Not read all this, but I've just sold a 2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX (you guys call them Ninja 1000) which bought spur of the moment because I was on a tour, my bike broke down, had to come home, buy something quickly, and go back out.

Anyway it was fantastic, great all rounder, good brakes, suspension, great MPG and pillion comfort. Top speed about 160 MPH (tested on the Autobahn :D ).

Only reason I don't have it now is because I had to part-ex it in order to pay for the ZX10R, but I will buy another one.

The new 2017 model is even better...Has good electronics (has an IMU) and looks more aggressive.

My opinion. Great bike. Cheaper than Italians. Probably more reliable too. :D

Include one in your test rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.