Thoughts on a New Bike - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 77 Old 02-19-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennice View Post
All very good points - the Tuono is still more sport than street, and if gas mileage is an important criteria than look elsewhere than the V4. I think the smart choice is to go with your heart, especially when it comes to a 2nd bike. Funny thing about already having a bike you love is that there's no pressure, and making a change isn't such a disruptive thing as if you only had one ride, or even had 2 that you could take or leave. Whatever you end up with, you'll likely find that you'll ride one a fair bit more than the other for whatever reason and the other will become expendable. You might choose to replace that expendable one with something else, or decide that you're good with just one bike.
Thats what will be interesting to see. If I ride the 10R or the Duke/Tuono more when I get it. This is the furthest thing from a necessity for me, so Im taking my time. Im thinking a lot. Preparing for what I can ahead of time. I may even be overthinking it. But I know I want to be satisfied completely with the choice. Ive never owned more than 1 bike at a time and its only been a couple years that Ive had bike and car. So, new territory to me. I am kinda worried that Im going to miss out on the option to trade in the 10R if I somehow stop riding it for 90% of the riding I do if I pick up a new bike.

Bennice have you ridden the 1100 Factory? And yeah, Ive heard about gas mileage on the V4s. Ive heard the 1100 is better than the 1000 though. The Duke, people have reported 180 miles to a tank, even potentially 200 miles. This isnt a daily commuter bike, though I could use it as one in SoCal, though the V4 may be pretty hot during the summer months, or so Ive heard.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 77 Old 02-19-2017, 07:51 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Nakeds are one very small click up from a wing or harley; entire design is aimed toward entry level. When we moved back to the big city I bought the fz1, '07 without thinking or rather thinking stupid. I thought the fz1 was the r1 with higher bars as I was planning on a ton of slab. Entire bike is a waste for the dialed in rider. Superbike is the way to go for all around riding. Did a ton of miles on the fz1, too.

I just looked at the new CBR super and its weight is around 430; Honda has my kinda philosophy of minimalist, it appears. The 10r is under warranty until '19 so when '19 comes around I will remember the CBR again.

Last edited by scout; 02-19-2017 at 07:53 PM.
post #13 of 77 Old 02-20-2017, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Scout that may have been previously true, but these two, the Aprilia more so, are rather very sporty machines. But Im not looking to be the most dialed in rider all the time, and really am not a dialed in rider. I cant extract the potential of a superbike, let alone probably a 250 and Im ok woth that. This is for tooling around and having some sporting capabilities, along with some sexiness. Ive been on a superbike for over 5 years now, and supersports for almost 10, and I want to try something new and different from what I know. Your experience on the FZ1 sounds much different from the experiences Ive heard about the current generation of supernakeds. They have become comfortable motorcycles that possess close, scalpel-like handling.

As far as the CBR is concerned, you should pop in and see how it feels for you. Maybe a test ride if you canscore one and see how you like it. Maybe its what youre looking for and you can move up even sooner. If its something you want anyways. I havent been paying attention to Honda much lately since the show has been Kawi and Yamaha for the Japanese, especially with how Kawi has been killing it in WSBK.
scout and 10Arghh like this.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

post #14 of 77 Old 02-20-2017, 03:37 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Have you considered the Yamaha MT-10?

The Yamaha MT-10 Is Not Your Grandpa's FZ-1

Knowledge will give you power, but character respect. Bruce Lee.
post #15 of 77 Old 02-20-2017, 07:14 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

what he said MT-10!!!!!!!!!

-20hp on the normal R1, but all the fun...
post #16 of 77 Old 02-20-2017, 09:46 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

FZ-10 would be my target.

Also the new Ducati Supersport S would be on the short list as well. Supersport styling with comfy ergonomics! So sexy, I'd have sex with it! LOL

Ducati SuperSport S - Ducati
post #17 of 77 Old 02-20-2017, 12:15 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Bro id be happy to see you own either of those bikes. That said, ive had a serious drool over the KTM for a while now...im right there with ya - i go back and forth all the time myself. I too am looking for something with more power down low and have been looking at triples, deuces and twins a while now. On paper only though. Unfortunately havent ridden any of them. Want something a bit more torquey though. Always been curious how a V4 rides. Im looking hard at a Daytona triple as a next bike and had a thing for the Street Triple for a while, but ill probably get something with less than 4 cyl whatever it is. I think those supermotards look like a blast!

Dont give up the 10! Hell i still cant give up my 03 636! You can never have too many bikes - just IMO. I too am starting to want different rides for different reasons. What will the insurance and maintenance be as well as parts availability? Surfed either of their forums?? Reliability? They are both pretty exclusive bikes - dont think youll see another of either but your area may be different.

Shame you cant get a test ride on either. If not just read read read as much as you can, everywhere you can. I like to look at the spec sheets too on ergo's/height/reach,etc.. and where things make power, weight of each, all the detail/fine print shit, measurements and what not. Then you get down to the fine details and the bells/whistles and see what tickles yer fancy, if anything stands out. Ok, ive rambled enough, take yer time, cant wait to see what you choose eventually. Maybe some other forum mem's will chime in with actual real life experience instead of my paper jockey .02.
We share the same tastes in bikes!

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert
post #18 of 77 Old 02-20-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
Have you considered the Yamaha MT-10?

The Yamaha MT-10 Is Not Your Grandpa's FZ-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
what he said MT-10!!!!!!!!!

-20hp on the normal R1, but all the fun...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFreak View Post
FZ-10 would be my target.

Also the new Ducati Supersport S would be on the short list as well. Supersport styling with comfy ergonomics! So sexy, I'd have sex with it! LOL

Ducati SuperSport S - Ducati
Salesman at the dealer I saw the Duke brought it up. Its too bulky around the midsection for me. Gas tank felt big. Fairings felt like they stuck out 3 feet on either side. Just wasnt my cup of tea. Also would like to take a shot at a different engine configuration, the V4 or Twin instead of I4s that Ive had all my life. Not that its a bad suggestion, its just not what Im looking for.

I will look into the Ducati though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
Bro id be happy to see you own either of those bikes. That said, ive had a serious drool over the KTM for a while now...im right there with ya - i go back and forth all the time myself. I too am looking for something with more power down low and have been looking at triples, deuces and twins a while now. On paper only though. Unfortunately havent ridden any of them. Want something a bit more torquey though. Always been curious how a V4 rides. Im looking hard at a Daytona triple as a next bike and had a thing for the Street Triple for a while, but ill probably get something with less than 4 cyl whatever it is. I think those supermotards look like a blast!

Dont give up the 10! Hell i still cant give up my 03 636! You can never have too many bikes - just IMO. I too am starting to want different rides for different reasons. What will the insurance and maintenance be as well as parts availability? Surfed either of their forums?? Reliability? They are both pretty exclusive bikes - dont think youll see another of either but your area may be different.

Shame you cant get a test ride on either. If not just read read read as much as you can, everywhere you can. I like to look at the spec sheets too on ergo's/height/reach,etc.. and where things make power, weight of each, all the detail/fine print shit, measurements and what not. Then you get down to the fine details and the bells/whistles and see what tickles yer fancy, if anything stands out. Ok, ive rambled enough, take yer time, cant wait to see what you choose eventually. Maybe some other forum mem's will chime in with actual real life experience instead of my paper jockey .02.
We share the same tastes in bikes!
Yeah, I think we definitely have the same taste here. Theyre damn sexy. I havent seen a Duke in the wild, saw a Tuono V4RR 2 weeks ago though on a ride. So sexy. I love them. My biggest thing is that the Duke has that very odd sexy to it, that you just kinda like. Plus a 1.3 liter motor. Even thought the Tuono will pull it on the big end. Such a sexy beast.

KTM seems to be a bit hit or miss on the reliability, with no glaring provlems. Same with the Ape. Ive veen all over Aprilia forums for a couple months now. Theres a lot of neat shit for them, obviously part availability could be a problem because theyre both smaller size manufacturers. The nice part though, I have 2 Aprilia and 2 KTM dealers within 40 miles of me, so Im not too worried there. Plus i do a lot of maintenance stuff myself. And mod stuff. Lol.

Im pretty excited. I dont know what to do about the 10R. I really.love it, been through a lot. But would not mind a change. Just difficult to get back to one after Id imagine. And 2 bikes at once, thatll be kinda funky. I do want to have both though. Well see soon I think. I may hold off till I finish the school semester in May, nut I want to score a deal.on a 16 while I can.

post #19 of 77 Old 02-20-2017, 06:48 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
Im curious, why would you never consider either? Just not into the supernakeds?
I'm a sportbike guy at heart so I have to have that squared away first. A new RSVR would top my list until someone at Honda pulls their head out of their ass. I'm not holding my breath. Or I'd sell the ZX and pick up a couple of used bikes of my liking. Then I'd scoop up a 650 dual sport. After that, I'll consider big naked bikes. The worst thing about those bike naked bikes is knowing I'll fall in love with one. Then I'll be all kinds of screwed up! Since I don't commute on 2 wheels and strictly use it for fun, I can be a bit more discriminating. Too many bikes, only one Sasquatch.

Oh, Scout should submit himself for drug testing. Mentioning big naked bikes, especially the KTM and Aprilia in this thread, in the same sentence as Gold Wings and Harleys is blasphemy.

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.

Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-20-2017 at 06:55 PM.
post #20 of 77 Old 02-20-2017, 06:58 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I for one, find no joy in riding a 200hp superbike machine in city traffic. It's not comfortable and the bike hates it as much as I do. I tried other smaller bikes but they always left me wanting. A 1000cc upright is the perfect machine for the street because it is designed for the street, not the track. While my zx10 is the perfect machine for the track.

2016 ZX10R KRT ABS
2014 Ninja 300 SE
2016 DRZ400SM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.