Gen 4: 2011-2015 Thinking About a Gen 3 or 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-28-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thinking About a Gen 3 or 4

Hey guys, been a while since I posted here...about a year actually, my wreck was back in April of last year.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm trying to make sure I'm getting a good deal. This is a good bit above what I was looking to spend, but its the gen I want.

2012 ZX10 green/black with ABS, 11k miles, he told me its 'chipped' (I assume PCV or something), also says it has a full two brothers exhaust but appears to be just a shorty slip on unless they sold the short muffler with a full exhaust, green underglow leds (don't care about these), frame sliders, pretty new tires and chain.

He says the lowest he'll go is $7500. Now $7500 for a 12 seems like a good deal, especially for a 12 with ABS (never had a bike with ABS and not sure if I want it or not), but I'm not 100% sure either...Is it a good deal if everything checks out? Anything I should specifically look for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-28-2017, 09:36 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I'd say its good deal if everything checks out. When he said chiped he probly meant the ecu has been flashed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
SNSSTR likes this.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-28-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks! I plan to go look at it later this week, so hopefully it is what he says it is.

If it is flashed vs a power commander, I'll probably see if I can get a gen 4 harness for the woolich flash box I have leftover from my gen 3 stuff so I can verify everything or at least reflash it myself.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-28-2017, 01:12 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

That seems like a good deal. I'd go ABS, why? Simply because of the off chance that you need to brake suddenly in an emergency situation. The ABS might save your life.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #5 of 16 Old 03-28-2017, 08:29 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

g4 over all older 10r's. 7500 is high for our bike at that year; I can report that my '11 blew up the fork seals and blew up a crank bearing, about 30k miles and right at 50k miles, respectively. The '13 fork seals are way better and it now has close to or past 65000 miles of tough twists. My point is that I'm not sure if the '12 is better than the '11 or anywhere near the '13. BUT if you don't know how to ride of never ride get the '12 as it won't matter.

ofc, do whatever you want.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-28-2017, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
g4 over all older 10r's. 7500 is high for our bike at that year; I can report that my '11 blew up the fork seals and blew up a crank bearing, about 30k miles and right at 50k miles, respectively. The '13 fork seals are way better and it now has close to or past 65000 miles of tough twists. My point is that I'm not sure if the '12 is better than the '11 or anywhere near the '13. BUT if you don't know how to ride of never ride get the '12 as it won't matter.

ofc, do whatever you want.

Thanks re the advice and insight. I do plan on riding it, I'm in Memphis so the riding season is most of the year. I can't say I'll ride it as hard as it deserves but it will get ridden.

Fork seals aren't too bad but a crank bearing wouldnt be fun at all.

So if $7500 is high for a 12, what should I be trying to spend for one with about 10k miles? I am pretty much sold on not getting a gen 3, but I haven't found a whole lot of gen 4's for less than 7500-8000. And $7500 is about $1500 more than I wanted to spend in the first place, so I'm already in the dog house haha
post #7 of 16 Old 03-28-2017, 09:27 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Its going be hard to find a gen4 for under 7k thats not been doged out and has low miles.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Im selling my 2015 abs for 10500cdn (7800usd) with 11400kms. Absolutely love it and i know ill regret it but just bought a 2016 zx14r.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1208.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	860.0 KB
ID:	395474  

2015 ZX10R
2016 ZX14R SE
post #9 of 16 Old 03-30-2017, 10:18 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNSSTR View Post
Thanks re the advice and insight. I do plan on riding it, I'm in Memphis so the riding season is most of the year. I can't say I'll ride it as hard as it deserves but it will get ridden.

Fork seals aren't too bad but a crank bearing wouldnt be fun at all.

So if $7500 is high for a 12, what should I be trying to spend for one with about 10k miles? I am pretty much sold on not getting a gen 3, but I haven't found a whole lot of gen 4's for less than 7500-8000. And $7500 is about $1500 more than I wanted to spend in the first place, so I'm already in the dog house haha
Based upon my experience i would get a '13 or newer; even the paint on the '13 is better than the '11 as I wore the '11 paint down to the metal at the pivot points but NOT on the '13 which is wearing but no metal showing.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-30-2017, 10:43 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Forks seals are a maintenance item and very subjective. Crank blowing sucks but not indicative of the Gen 4 any year. ABS, yes.

Personally, I don't think $7500 would be a bad price with the maintenance items like tires and chain out of the way for now. I wouldn't sweat the full exhaust or not it has great stock headers. FWIW I paid $7600 for my '11 sold new in '13 with 2900 miles MINT shape full Akro and custom dyno flash, a couple of months ago and added tires and chain. Looked around for quite awhile before finding it.

Thank you to my racing sponsors Riders Discount and Alpha1 Vinylworks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.