Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Talking with your Police Department for a safe spot ?

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  -Op- 
#1 ·
I know, it sounds like a dumb thing to do.
I guess there's a lot of track in the States (and Europe), but not so much in Canada.
Has anyone tried to contact their police department to know if there is a "safe spot" where they can fool around or get better with their bike without annoying people or getting jail time (or any related consequences) ? How did it turn out ?

The closest track is roughly 500 miles away from home. Over here, 35 mph over means criminal record, licence suspension and a towed +impounded bike, that's why I want to play it safe. Being the only gen 5 in the area, they can find me pretty easily. I thought about industrial areas, but since I live around small towns, they're non-existent, the only one that could do it has wayyyy to much trafic.

Any tips/suggestions/success stories ?

You can bash on me all you want, I realize how stupid my question may be. Thank you anyway if you have any tips.

#2 · (Edited)
Dude, what are you talking about? Your question makes perfect sense and there is no need for the apologetic tone. Why would someone risk that kind of penalty?

I think you should go ahead and ask at the closest police station. You should also do some searching on Google Maps. You might find an interesting spot.

Technically, are there restrictions if you mess around in an empty parking lot? Might want to look into that.

#3 ·
Yeah, Google maps with street view is my main source of finding new roads/play spots these days. Usually this means riding for a while to get away from traffic and people. Unless you already live in the middle of nowhere. Even used street view to plan for "bike friendly" routes before going riding in the US. I would not ask the police for a safe spot here in Norway, it would be of no use.

But still, 500 miles is doable if you plan for a track day as a small trip. It would be well worth it. Even just one day, and you will learn a lot.

#4 ·
Public roadways are just that and NOBODY in law enforcement or civil service is ever going to give you permission for that kind of riding. The liability of it would be astronomical. Even if one of them did agree to such an action the next cop to come a long could and would probably bust you for all sorts of infractions.

The only exception I have ever witnessed is when permits are obtained and paid for by major players for filming commercials on public roads or even test rides for like the new Mercedes Gullwing release etc. Those are very rare, very expensive and very short period of times when they are granted.

Private property could be used in that regard, but even then you will be dealing with the same level of liability on behalf of the properly owner and it is very unlikely they would lend that kind of permission to someone using their property for inherently risky activity.

#5 ·
An alternative might be to locate a near airfield which is paved and see if there are times they would allow for usage. I know in the UK they do track days on airfields. Not quite the same as a track but better than public road and ensuing issues with Police Law Enforcement.

Either that or find out when your local patrol is off to lunch )).

#8 ·
I am not really sure what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want to go to an empty parking lot, set up cones and practice low speed turns? Or do you want to find an area where you can do 35MPH over the speed limit on public roads? Or do you want to scrub your knee on public roads and pretend you are on a track? I do not think you will get an OK or a recommendation from the police for any of the aforementioned activities.

What my friends and I do is find nice turns and ride hard until we figure we have over extended our stay, and leave before the police are any wiser. We have several places we can ride. But I have to tell you, after numerous track days, i hate riding the zx10 on the street because i can only use 50% of the bike, and it gets boring quickly. Even with nice turns. Maybe get a cheap second bike to put around town on.

#9 ·
Sorry, LE can not and will not give permission to do anything on the roadway other than tell you whats posted at any given area. They also can't give permission to use a private parking lot since it is owned by an individual. But that's here, I can't speak for Law Enforcement in Quebec.

#15 ·
I dont think any LEO is going to recommend or give you permission, but asking isnt illegal or wrong. They may even be able to point you in the direction for legalities of using private properties and such for practice. Though if youre concern is speed, a track is not a bad idea. And as suggested before, make the trackday a mini trip over a few days and enjoy it. Maybe book multiple days in the weekend to get in plenty of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.