17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 Old 06-05-2018, 03:43 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10roller View Post
1299 i wanted sold this morning
Find another one! At least you know what you want.

“Ride like you are invisible.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 06-05-2018, 04:33 PM
OMG Look at that squid!!

Posting Frequency

A 2015 sold here in KC recently. It was a trade in at the local Duc dealer. Sold for $17k. 2k miles. Minty fresh. Just a gauge for you in your shopping endeavors.

Because wheelie!!!

16' ZX10R - 08' Hypermotard 1100s
14' Ducati Monster 1200S - SOLD
13' RSV4-R - SOLD
My ZX10R's 11' - 08' - 07' - 05' - 04' - ALL SOLD
Miss my Black 04' the most!
Never enough money, never enough time!

post #23 of 35 Old 06-05-2018, 04:34 PM
OMG Look at that squid!!

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by badexample View Post
Find another one! At least you know what you want.

No kidding. For me this is half the battle.
badexample likes this.

Because wheelie!!!

16' ZX10R - 08' Hypermotard 1100s
14' Ducati Monster 1200S - SOLD
13' RSV4-R - SOLD
My ZX10R's 11' - 08' - 07' - 05' - 04' - ALL SOLD
Miss my Black 04' the most!
Never enough money, never enough time!

post #24 of 35 Old 06-05-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

this one was < 13k, cant find any more in that range.
ill take my time since i need to get some new forks and get em valved so i can fit on some rotoboxes. my front axle is akin to throwing a hotdog down a hallway i hear.
post #25 of 35 Old 06-06-2018, 03:31 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Try looking and test riding at least three used 1299s, then you get little feel what you buy.
Stay patient, then good bike will find you.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
post #26 of 35 Old 06-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I got the itch for a new to me bike.

was looking at the new super duke 1290 but not sure if ill be happy with all the wind on the freeway. I like that its keyless and can bluetooth nav to the display.

then the 1299 s caught my eye. super sexy bike and yea...

im all ears if you have anything to say.
First of all, it’s your money and you should damn well get what you want.

I have my 10r because of Ducati.
Hit up some ducati forums like ducati superbikes ducati.ms, etc. You will note all the duc fora have a very, very long sticky post along the lines of ‘should I buy a ducati’. The reason is that they are temperamental, high maintenance, quirky, unreliable and overall difficult to live with. The superbikes do not fuel cleanly below about 5k rpms. Look closely at motorcycle magazine reviews of Ducatis and you will almost always find via picture or print that the test fleet bikes have the race map and exhaust installed, because the street map simply cannot fuel cleanly. That smooth power you’re used to with a Japanese inline 4 doesn’t exist in the Ducati Superbike line, possibly better with the v4, but I can’t say for sure on that one. Mods: expect to pay 1.5-2x what you would pay for a Japanese liter bike mods. ECU, exhaust, wheels, suspension components, maintenance items & farkles are all priced with the infamous “ducati tax”. Availability: If you’ve been to Italy, you probably know, but if not - don’t expect a response from Ducati in Italy from late August through 1 September. They’re essentially not there. When they are there, they’re mostly responsive (parts, etc).

good: Ducati has some of the best brakes I’ve used, car or bike, period. It was so easy to loft the rear wheel while stopping it was funny. Wheelies: despite the piss poor fueling below 5k rpms, if you hit the throttle just right it was so easy to wheelie as to be even more grin inducing than the stoppies. Handling: Duc superbikes are nimble as all get out and still surprisingly stable. Looks: from HD partisans to die hard eyeabuser riders, Ducatis garner stares everywhere you go. Lots of carbon fiber options for Ducatis.

bad: tough to be low key with a Duc even if you are behaving well. Fueling is bad on the street and track and expensive to fix. Electrical gremlins persist throughout the V2 line. They put the voltage regulator about 2 inches away from cylinder 1’s exhaust pipe. They live about 1-2 years and need replacing. They usually go silently, frying your battery with it. They’re also highly susceptible to recalls, and sometimes for not insignificant reasons. The first one I got was a potential spontaneous fire could be caused by a defective fuel fitting. They hold on to known issues tightly and can be really stingy with replacements. regulator and radiator were 2 well known, common issues across the 1x98/848 line, but because a good portion of bikes will make it out of the factory warranty period before the failures occur, they did nothing. The radiator was damned expensive.

Intangibles: when it was running right, it was hugely fun to ride. Honestly, I found it no less comfortable than any other liter class bike out there. The heat from the exhaust has already been pointed out here, but I didn’t find it that horrible. Hot, yes, intolerable - only the day my voltage regulator crapped out for the 2nd time, it was miserable hot and I was in bumper to bumper traffic. In the winter, this is a feature, not a bug. The superbike fuel tanks run on the small side, warning light from 100-120 miles most of the time, so it’s tough to get cramped :-)

I’ve read that the 2 happiest days for Ducati owners are:
1) the day you buy your Ducati
2) the day you sell your Ducati

sounds right to me.

good luck!
post #27 of 35 Old 06-06-2018, 09:06 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos76 View Post
Try looking and test riding at least three used 1299s, then you get little feel what you buy.
Stay patient, then good bike will find you.
Carlos, what about a review on your S1000RR?

“Ride like you are invisible.”
post #28 of 35 Old 06-07-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfslayer View Post

First of all, it’s your money and you should damn well get what you want.

I have my 10r because of Ducati.
Hit up some ducati forums like ducati superbikes ducati.ms, etc. You will note all the duc fora have a very, very long sticky post along the lines of ‘should I buy a ducati’. The reason is that they are temperamental, high maintenance, quirky, unreliable and overall difficult to live with. The superbikes do not fuel cleanly below about 5k rpms. Look closely at motorcycle magazine reviews of Ducatis and you will almost always find via picture or print that the test fleet bikes have the race map and exhaust installed, because the street map simply cannot fuel cleanly. That smooth power you’re used to with a Japanese inline 4 doesn’t exist in the Ducati Superbike line, possibly better with the v4, but I can’t say for sure on that one. Mods: expect to pay 1.5-2x what you would pay for a Japanese liter bike mods. ECU, exhaust, wheels, suspension components, maintenance items & farkles are all priced with the infamous “ducati tax”. Availability: If you’ve been to Italy, you probably know, but if not - don’t expect a response from Ducati in Italy from late August through 1 September. They’re essentially not there. When they are there, they’re mostly responsive (parts, etc).

good: Ducati has some of the best brakes I’ve used, car or bike, period. It was so easy to loft the rear wheel while stopping it was funny. Wheelies: despite the piss poor fueling below 5k rpms, if you hit the throttle just right it was so easy to wheelie as to be even more grin inducing than the stoppies. Handling: Duc superbikes are nimble as all get out and still surprisingly stable. Looks: from HD partisans to die hard eyeabuser riders, Ducatis garner stares everywhere you go. Lots of carbon fiber options for Ducatis.

bad: tough to be low key with a Duc even if you are behaving well. Fueling is bad on the street and track and expensive to fix. Electrical gremlins persist throughout the V2 line. They put the voltage regulator about 2 inches away from cylinder 1’s exhaust pipe. They live about 1-2 years and need replacing. They usually go silently, frying your battery with it. They’re also highly susceptible to recalls, and sometimes for not insignificant reasons. The first one I got was a potential spontaneous fire could be caused by a defective fuel fitting. They hold on to known issues tightly and can be really stingy with replacements. regulator and radiator were 2 well known, common issues across the 1x98/848 line, but because a good portion of bikes will make it out of the factory warranty period before the failures occur, they did nothing. The radiator was damned expensive.

Intangibles: when it was running right, it was hugely fun to ride. Honestly, I found it no less comfortable than any other liter class bike out there. The heat from the exhaust has already been pointed out here, but I didn’t find it that horrible. Hot, yes, intolerable - only the day my voltage regulator crapped out for the 2nd time, it was miserable hot and I was in bumper to bumper traffic. In the winter, this is a feature, not a bug. The superbike fuel tanks run on the small side, warning light from 100-120 miles most of the time, so it’s tough to get cramped &#x1f642;

I’ve read that the 2 happiest days for Ducati owners are:
1) the day you buy your Ducati
2) the day you sell your Ducati

sounds right to me.

good luck!
Thanks for the input! Much appreciated, will definitely keep in mind all the points you brought up while I shop around.
post #29 of 35 Old 06-07-2018, 02:25 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Thanks for the input! Much appreciated, will definitely keep in mind all the points you brought up while I shop around.
He made very good points. The main ones to consider is reliability and maintenance costs - garbage. Looks of the bike is in my opinion - average.

Ducatis are the Harleys of supersports.
post #30 of 35 Old 06-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by badexample View Post
Carlos, what about a review on your S1000RR?
Had real bad luck this spring and no chance to ride it. Rebuilding BMW's every nut and bold right now. Will post my S1000RR vs Gen4 impressions in you "fed up" thread.
badexample likes this.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in