Shoei x-12 advice needed - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Shoei x-12 advice needed

So my current x-11 is nine years old and needs replacement. The x-14 does not fit me

I found a good deal online on an x-12 Bautista (Red) for $645, but the build date is Dec 2012. I know the helmet doesn't magically disintegrate at the 7 year mark, but its a lot of cash for an older helmet.

Advice/Opinions on spending that kind of cash on a helmet that's halfway through its life span? Who really pays attention to helmet life spans anyway?

Cheers,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 02:50 PM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_1973 View Post
So my current x-11 is nine years old and needs replacement. The x-14 does not fit me

I found a good deal online on an x-12 Bautista (Red) for $645, but the build date is Dec 2012. I know the helmet doesn't magically disintegrate at the 7 year mark, but its a lot of cash for an older helmet.

Advice/Opinions on spending that kind of cash on a helmet that's halfway through its life span? Who really pays attention to helmet life spans anyway?

Cheers,
Chris
Devils advocate here, have you tried on the RF-1200? What type of riding do you do? Racing or just street use. The RF-1200 has made vast improvements over previous years and will fit differently than a X-14. Just a thought is all, spending $645 for a an X-12 doesn't make any sense to me. Example: Closeout X-12 Kato helmet for $474.54 with free shipping in the US ONLY. I can get you into something else if need be.

On the life expectancy of a helmet question: Everyone will have their own opinion. I do consider life expectancy of a helmet to be 7 years. If it is dropped or crashed it automatically should be replaced. Parts and accessories for these helmets are harder to get as the manufacture quits making them after a certain time. They would prefer you do not wear their helmet after a point is why they do this, and yes also because they want you to buy a new helmet.

Feel free to give me a call Chris with any questions or shoot me a PM if I can help you out, I am a site sponsor and take care of our forum members.

Call MIKE at 866-931-6644 ext 804. Our business hours are Monday-Friday 9:30AM-6PM EST. Visit our website at Riders Discount.

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
post #3 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersdiscount View Post
Devils advocate here, have you tried on the RF-1200? What type of riding do you do? Racing or just street use. The RF-1200 has made vast improvements over previous years and will fit differently than a X-14. Just a thought is all, spending $645 for a an X-12 doesn't make any sense to me. Example: Closeout X-12 Kato helmet for $474.54 with free shipping in the US ONLY. I can get you into something else if need be.

On the life expectancy of a helmet question: Everyone will have their own opinion. I do consider life expectancy of a helmet to be 7 years. If it is dropped or crashed it automatically should be replaced. Parts and accessories for these helmets are harder to get as the manufacture quits making them after a certain time. They would prefer you do not wear their helmet after a point is why they do this, and yes also because they want you to buy a new helmet.

Feel free to give me a call Chris with any questions or shoot me a PM if I can help you out, I am a site sponsor and take care of our forum members.
Thank you for the reply.

I'm now confined to street riding only. I now live in a part of Canada with no tracks available.

I like the RF series. I've owned an RF 800,900 and 1000 in the past. I moved to the x-11 and love it. I know the x series in overkill on the street. If i was to order a new RF1200 it would cost over $700. This being Canada we get raped on everything. So $645 for an x-12 seemed pretty good when they cost about $1200 new.

As much as i want to support a site sponsor, and I like the Kato replica that you have, with the exchange rate it comes to $628 and then i have to find a way to get it here.

I appreciate the help, you make very good points. i think you're right and will have to spend the extra and go with a new RF-1200

Cheers,
Chris

post #4 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Thank you for the reply.

I'm now confined to street riding only. I now live in a part of Canada with no tracks available.

I like the RF series. I've owned an RF 800,900 and 1000 in the past. I moved to the x-11 and love it. I know the x series in overkill on the street. If i was to order a new RF1200 it would cost over $700. This being Canada we get raped on everything. So $645 for an x-12 seemed pretty good when they cost about $1200 new.

As much as i want to support a site sponsor, and I like the Kato replica that you have, with the exchange rate it comes to $628 and then i have to find a way to get it here.

I appreciate the help, you make very good points. i think you're right and will have to spend the extra and go with a new RF-1200

Cheers,
Chris

Glad I could help! On a side note we are not able to ship Shoei outside of the US so couldn't help if I wanted to.

Call MIKE at 866-931-6644 ext 804. Our business hours are Monday-Friday 9:30AM-6PM EST. Visit our website at Riders Discount.

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
post #5 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersdiscount View Post
Glad I could help! On a side note we are not able to ship Shoei outside of the US so couldn't help if I wanted to.
I've noticed that nobody can. Can i ask why?

Cheers
post #6 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 07:47 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Shoei x-12 advice needed

Quote:
I've noticed that nobody can. Can i ask why?

Cheers

The helmets are made and certified for sale based on the region's they're sold in. Can't sell a DOT helmet in Europe, and Snell rated only helmets don't comply with DOT requirements. I'm not saying they aren't any better or even different, but it's about the safety sticker on the back and the sellers agreement for doing it.

PS- 5 years is considered the shelf life for helmets these days. I'd still wear one past that point, but I wouldn't buy one. I've done a few track days where they check the born on date during the tech inspection. Five years and done. Go with the RF1200. Great helmet!

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.

#WordCrimes

post #7 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks Skydork,

Dam Shoei changing their shell shape. I really wanted that X-14 Kagayama when it comes out.

So i've always only owned Shoei, but the other day at the Motorcycle Show i tried on the new Arai Signet-X. Wow, what an amazing fit. Arai changed to their new less stupid shield changing system on that model, so maybe now its an option. Opinions on the Signet-X over the RF-1200??? The Arai is about $100 more here BTW

Cheers,
post #8 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 08:06 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Get what you think is the best for you. I scan the market for my fav helmet that is now no longer made.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 08:22 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I couldn't wear the x-14 for more than 10s when I first got it. Swapped out the temple pads and it fit better than any helmet I've had yet. It's easy to do and if the store has all sizes you should be able to make it work by swapping pads.
SkyDork likes this.
post #10 of 25 Old 01-09-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
I couldn't wear the x-14 for more than 10s when I first got it. Swapped out the temple pads and it fit better than any helmet I've had yet. It's easy to do and if the store has all sizes you should be able to make it work by swapping pads.
I've only ever seen 1 X-14 here in Calgary at a dealership. Nobody here wants to bring them in, they all say they'll order whatever size i need, so i don't have a chance to mix and match pads. Once its ordered i own it even if it doesn't fit. I've been to 4-5 dealerships and they really could care less is the impression i get.

Alberta sucks for buying any gear (probably because most people here are squids). It was so much easier when i lived in Ontario to get what i need. My only option is to order online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.