2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-10-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Running a bike in?

Hi everyone,

What's the thoughts on running a bike (16 ZX10R)?

The manual states not to rev the bike past 4-5K revs. Yet the guy at the bike shop said to ride it like normal as the bike will get a memory? Understand not to drag race the game unit.

Wonder what others opinion are?

Thanks

Hypa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-11-2017, 12:15 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
Hi everyone,

The manual states not to rev the bike past 4-5K revs. Yet the guy at the bike shop said to ride it like normal as the bike will get a memory? Understand not to drag race the game unit.

Thanks

Hypa
Ride it like you normally do. Hit some long steep hills that you can engine break on. Do this asap, preferably before 250 miles. Very RPM, etc. Don't be afraid to go beyond the RPM that the manufactures tell you. Alternatively ride it like you stole it is a common theme, however I've never done that so to speak, I ride like I normally do which in and of itself is aggressive. My CBR engine is very strong with over 60k miles.

BTW you are bringing up a topic that has canvassed the internet for years... do a little google searching and you'll get more response than in this forum.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-11-2017, 07:22 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I like Gens advise.

Overall, the problem seen most often is from a break in thats too easy.

I believe it would be a mistake to stay under 4000rpm for 500 miles, for instance.

That being said, I think that would be a small mistake, and you would probably be ok, anyway.

post #4 of 18 Old 03-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Hypa
I understood about half of what your wrote (game unit? bike will get a memory? running a bike?). I assume you are asking "what is the proper break in procedure"? If so, just ride it like normal. Do not redline every gear and do not hold the bike at a constant rpm for an extended amount of time. Change the engine oil and filter no later than 600 miles.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #5 of 18 Old 03-11-2017, 07:20 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

I buy only new and run normal which may vary if I change supers meaning if I buy a cbr superbike next year I would learn its personality before going full normal as I've been on 10'r since 2012 as been a few years since on cbr's; I stay off the limiter but close if conditions are ok. If I was on first liter bike I would just geek it until whenever I can sort out what is going on.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
I understood about half of what your wrote (game unit? bike will get a memory? running a bike?). I assume you are asking "what is the proper break in procedure"? If so, just ride it like normal. Do not redline every gear and do not hold the bike at a constant rpm for an extended amount of time. Change the engine oil and filter no later than 600 miles.
"get a memory" means the piston rings will seat properly from positive and negative pressure, i.e. hard acceleration, and hard engine braking. Which is why a lot of people say ride it like you stole it. Myself, I'm quite happy to go in between and just ride like I normally do, which is aggressive. Absolutely very RPM so you have even wear inside the cylinders. I would suggest switching to dyno oil at 600 miles, and then full on synthetic at 1000, however some will say it doesn't matter due to modern manufacturing techniques and super tight tolerances. I'll error on the side of caution.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-12-2017, 09:03 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Wouldn't erroring on the side of caution be following the manufacturers reccomendations? There are always these stupid threads on motorcycle forums. Which oil is best (deisel oil yo) which chain lube is best(wd40 yolol) , how do i break in my bike (moto man or o/e), pledge better than plexus, etc. One can only laugh.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #8 of 18 Old 03-12-2017, 11:10 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

post #9 of 18 Old 03-13-2017, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks everyone,

Lol, I wrote that post after a few beers in the man cave looking at her.

I've just been riding her conservatively, roughly adhering to the manufacturers spec, with the occasional bit of fun.

She's getting her first service this week so should be ok after that. Then I'm going on a 700km round trip!

Hypa
post #10 of 18 Old 03-21-2017, 12:57 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Thanks everyone,

Lol, I wrote that post after a few beers in the man cave looking at her.

I've just been riding her conservatively, roughly adhering to the manufacturers spec, with the occasional bit of fun.

She's getting her first service this week so should be ok after that. Then I'm going on a 700km round trip!

Hypa
CNN is reporting now that bikers are misogynistic pussy grabbing xenophobic racists!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.