Rsv4 rf test ride - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Rsv4 rf test ride

Had the rsv4 for 2 hours yesterday.
The bike is very nice. Doesnt feel much different riding position to the zx10r.
The bike was brand new and had only just had a pdi on it.
I felt a bit bad thrashing a new bike.
After running the tyres in a started to open it up and the most noticable thing is how intrusive the anti wheelie is.
I reduced it alot but it cuts out and drops the front like a brick.
The s1000rr has a far softer control over anti wheelie which is definately superior.
Also the rsv4 is super responsive and snappy down low.
On track this is probably and advantage but on the road its a pig to control at low speeds.
Its way to high geared too so traffic riding is a jerky clutch slipping affair.
Rear end has superb feel too it but i found the front ohlins too soft for me and it was diving alot under brakes.
The brakes were average but i never got to try them out real good at higher speeds where i expect them to be awsome.
The abs is horrid. I braked hard into a round about and it cut in and felt like it was just letting the brake off for me. Very intrusive.
And the brake lever is a bit soft.
For some reason it kept running wide when i picked up the pace and i was missing apexs and ran over the white line on one bend which isnt good.
It needed more lean angle to get round than my zx10 but i wasnt prepared to bank it over that far on the road.
Now the good bits...
It sounds awsome. Its very loud for a stock bike and you can get it to pop and bang on the overrun.
Looks very nice.
Dash is trick and some of the problems i have stated could be improved within the settings.
The gearbox is just the best. Even better than the s1000rr. Quite a soft feel on the gearlever but it just works and blips so well.
Power is great but i cant say it feels any quicker than my zx10.
Verdict...
Classy bike but for the road its just no good in my opinion.
On track i expect it could be setup to be really good.
Would i buy one?
No. Id pay the extra and get the ducati
badexample likes this.

Last edited by ukzx10r; 04-20-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 11:32 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the feedbacks UK... I am eyeballing the RSV4 right now. Cheap for what you getting. Just not sure about a long term relationship with it..

Change the gearing
Get the Race ECU
Suspension adjusted
Unplug ABS

then you laughing!

“Ride like you are invisible.”
post #3 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by badexample View Post
Thanks for the feedbacks UK... I am eyeballing the RSV4 right now. Cheap for what you getting. Just not sure about a long term relationship with it..

Change the gearing
Get the Race ECU
Suspension adjusted
Unplug ABS

then you laughing!
Are you buying for racing or would you be road riding?
The bike needs to be in 1st gear to ride at 30mph in traffic. Second makes it shudder.
Lowering 1st gear would cure that and the clutch slipping to pull away but it is so snappy even in the softest setting that if you hit a bump whilst trying to negotiate a road junction it could litterally snatch the bars out of your hands. Its much like the big bang r1 does.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 12:11 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

When I took a 2014 RSV4 for a quick spin around the block and after chatting with the owner, I came to the same conclusion as you UK.

For a road bike, Nah.
Track or race, all day long.

Plus, he had some problems with it, I can't remember at the moment exactly what it was, but I do know it's been in and out of the shop a number of times. Maybe they've sorted that with the new model.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Actually come to think of it i did a problem. The bike got hot in traffic. Then i stopped for a chat and the bike wouldnt start up again. It took about 1 minute of cranking before it started up!
badexample and NinjaLife like this.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 01:32 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukzx10r View Post
Actually come to think of it i did a problem. The bike got hot in traffic. Then i stopped for a chat and the bike wouldnt start up again. It took about 1 minute of cranking before it started up!

Guys on Youtube been reporting the same issues as well.. euh.

The whole package is appealing for the price but.. yeah sounds like gambling.
ukzx10r likes this.

post #7 of 18 Old 04-20-2018, 01:39 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukzx10r View Post
Are you buying for racing or would you be road riding?
The bike needs to be in 1st gear to ride at 30mph in traffic. Second makes it shudder.
Lowering 1st gear would cure that and the clutch slipping to pull away but it is so snappy even in the softest setting that if you hit a bump whilst trying to negotiate a road junction it could litterally snatch the bars out of your hands. Its much like the big bang r1 does.
I live on Vancouver Island in Canada.. It reminds me of TT isle of Man. Long stretch of roads with no traffic lights and a lot of twisties. It seems that new generation of bikes were bred for the tracks. I am tempting to buy the RF version.. 16-17 left over or the 18 R version.

Last edited by badexample; 04-20-2018 at 02:56 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-21-2018, 08:23 AM
OMG Look at that squid!!

Posting Frequency

Owned a 13' RSV4 for about 2 years. Incredible bike IMHO. Power was almost as good as the 10r, but not quite. They've added 20+hp since I owned the 13 however. The TC and ABS were DIALED in on my 13'. It literally saved my ass from a low side. I took it to the track once. I was impressed with everything except top end power and the on/off fly by wire throttle. Aside from those 2 things the bike was the best handling bike I've ever ridden. Felt like a 600 to me. And then there's the sound of the V4 through a short(er) carbon slip on. OMG! Beautiful note! I would own one, but not as my only bike. Then there's the overall, love hate of Italian bikes. I'm on my 4th one now. 08 Hypermotard 1100S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-05 16.10.32.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	829.9 KB
ID:	415586   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-10-29 18.04.26-1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	740.0 KB
ID:	415594  
badexample likes this.

Because wheelie!!!

16' ZX10R - 08' Hypermotard 1100s
14' Ducati Monster 1200S - SOLD
13' RSV4-R - SOLD
My ZX10R's 11' - 08' - 07' - 05' - 04' - ALL SOLD
Miss my Black 04' the most!
Never enough money, never enough time!

post #9 of 18 Old 04-21-2018, 09:44 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

If your not tracking the bike, no need for the rf(although I love the 2017-2018 graphics). There are 2017 left over RSV4RR’s for $2-3k off msrp around here. I love my 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 street bike but a part of me thinks I would love a 2017 Tuono Factory even more!

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #10 of 18 Old 04-21-2018, 09:50 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I haven't ridden the latest model, but this sounds pretty accurate. I've said before and will say it again, if you're looking for an in town commuter, look elsewhere. Otherwise the bike is wonderful. Reliability hasn't been an issue for me, even after all these years. Mine doesn't have all the newest electronic trickery though, so I can't comment much on that.

As far as a bike to ride in an, ummm...spirited fashion (canyons, track, etc.), it's the best bike I've ever owned. For a commuter or in-town ride, it's the worst. It will roast your ass between lights, and hot starting problems is a widely reported issue on newer model years. Maintenance is no different than a Japanese sporty, cost of ownership is the same. The sound is fucking amazing and nothing else can touch it. Only the Ducati comes close.
trackaddict and badexample like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in