1Likes
  • 1 Post By Capncalyx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-08-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Reviews on Copart

Anybody on here got any info/reviews on buying a bike from Copart/Crashed Toys? I know the bikes are salvaged and stuff but was wondering if anybody found any gems or anything. Was looking to get a project with a buddy to have something to do and a reason for us to drink beer in the garage and wrench around. Not looking to sink a lot of money into something or anything like that. If you bought one, what kind of bike and how was the price? And were they honest with pictures, condition, sending you the paperwork, etc? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-09-2018, 08:11 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I can find about any reason to drink in the garage! And can usually find something to dick around with! Heck i wanna go there now and drink, but im at work lol! Im probably gonna end up one of those old men who drinks and fixes up old bikes for neighborhood kids. And i try to steer clear of the popo so im not familiar. Ive been a CL guy in the past. BOL!
evilaugust likes this.

Rock over London, Rock on Chicago!

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

..known Internet Suspension Warrior....And Plinko Master!
post #3 of 6 Old 02-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

When I sold my old ZX6R to friend and he crashed it, it was mostly front plastic damage and all the upgrades like exhaust and such were all in good shape. Insurance gave him more money than what he paid to get the bike from me. I kept looking on copart and 3 weeks later sure enough it popped up. Wend for a few grand to some lucky guy in Ukraine. So, its possible to get great deals.

You just need to make sure to inspect frame damage (that it doesn't exist). Study those pictures like a hawk! As for location, see if you can register directly with copart, not third party. Why pay more? Lastly, understand that if you plan to restore, inspect and sell, then you need to get all parts legitimately and keep ALL receipts. Got a buddy who spend a ton of money on a bike for himself, dropped it off at inspection station, and never saw it again. They claimed it was stolen or some part on bike was stolen, something like this and I think he got some parts from ebay and craigslist.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-09-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks for the input. Craigslist/Facebook marketplace is usually my go too however one of my buddies mentioned copart for cars he bought and I figured I'd throw it out here. I haven't really seen any good projects for a reasonable price near me on FB or CL but I usually look a few times a week. Maybe its best as a pipe dream for now unless i get the green light in my head or see something thats mostly there and wouldn't need massive $$ pumped into itj. Between my 10r, recently acquired 86CR500 that I'm working on, and my KLR, i have enough to keep busy. But at the same time, is an addition to the stable ever a bad thing? haha
post #5 of 6 Old 02-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Try Adhuntr.com that searches all CraigsList across country, cities, states.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-10-2018, 08:30 AM
gaz
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

15 years ago i used to buy several bikes from copart each year. always a good clean buying experience. there are 5 copart salvage sites within 60 miles of me. last month my best friend needed a 14r motor, so we reregistered new with copart as we found 2 14r's wrecked coming up for sale jan 8. both hit hard in front end. viewed pics which were accurate, but drove there sale morning to actually inspect bikes ourselves which they allow if registered. net site says auction ends 5 pm on sale day. verified this also at auction office. were asked if wanted to place bid while there, declined that as we intended to be high bidders at 5 that afternoon. current high bid was $275 on a 12 model, 725 on 14 year model. came home and opened bid site at 2 oclock, neither bike still listed. called to find out they started accepting bids that morning and closing out bids. both bikes sold, done deal. disappointed as 6k worth of undamaged engines sold for a grand plus fees. parts only bikes so no titles available. st listing are salvage titles which u are given, subject to ur states regulations to make roadworthy. not a bad experience, good learning expereienc as now know how bid process works. still rate them a good seller. call, they will explain all fees as a individual, ur state has fees and rules listed on net to put a st bike back on road. ga has several inspection sites where simple $200 fee can get u back on road, but title remains branded salvage title forever. no documented parts/labor bill required, only tires, brakes, signals, horn, no fi codes,everything working to pass inspection. we're building strip only 14r, can tell u project gonna originate at copart.

Last edited by gaz; 02-10-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in