• Castrol

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • other

Votes: 35 31.8%

What brand oil do you use ?

13K views 81 replies 35 participants last post by  dudewhrsmybike 
#1 ·
Yes, ANOTHER OIL THREAD ! :thefinger_red:

Just curious what you guys run in your ZX10. I use Rotella T 15w-40 because it has proven lab results. It's also a steal at $15 for 1 gallon. Post em up !

#5 ·
I was running castrol.. But I can't get it from my normal place for 80$ case anymore......
So I now use something most never even heard of,
Penngrade 1 made right in PA .. Same price as the Castrol and it's semi synthetic what I like.

#6 ·
Why. Just why? Only thing that flairs up my ulcer is too much whiskey on an empty stomach and

.....and Oil Thread! :helmet:

06BP - AKA Brad Penn Oil right?

#17 ·
And actually the Rotella T (non synthetic) has tested better than many fully synthetic oils including Valvoline and Castrol 4T :)

If I could afford it I would run Amsoil all the time because the tests show very good results. But the Rotella is so damn cheap I can't pass it up.

#22 ·
I've actually tried pretty much all of them. If changed frequently, they will all provide the necessary protection for your motor (are you listening Scout? :lol:)

That said, the Mobil 1 Racing 4T is the only oil I've run were there was a marked improvement in the shifting quality and how fast the motor revs up. That Rotella T crap made the transmission feel notchy and sloppy and the motor made more noise with it. Will it protect the motor? Yup. Is it cheap? Yup.

But my ride only gets the Mobil 1 4T in it. Everything else just feels like mud in the motor.

#24 ·
here are some numbers from a 9,000 mile sample. These numbers are awesome considering Rotella T is non-synthetic.

Aluminum 2
Chromium 1
Iron 18
Copper 2
Lead 3
Tin 0
Molybdenum 5
Silver 1
Titanium 0
Potassium 7
Boron 27
Silicon 8
Sodium 3
Calcium 2477
Magnesium 33
Phosphorus 1120
Zinc 1237
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 f 77.4
cst viscosity @ 100 c 14.86
Flashpoint F 420
Fuel % TRACE
Atifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.2
TBN 7.2

#31 ·
Ive been arguing on oil threads since well years ago so im not gonna state my opinions on whether we should run diesel oil because frankly there is no changing peoples opinions involving their love for diesel oil (low rpm's??)(Whats the shearing of this diesel oil as well?). So yea, if you wanna put diesel oil in there go for it, ill never be convinced though just like I cant convince people otherwise. Im done lol. Enjoy! lol

FWIW though, last research I did on Rotella was a few years back, I think they changed it up a little and it may in fact now be much better for a motorcycle application than it once was - im still not runnin the shit lol.

Ninja - im aware of the Castrol thing as I feel it when it seems to need changed (usually around 3-4k like you) whereas the M1 and Amsoil I just keep riding for thousands of miles with no deterioration in shifting etc...

#34 ·
Allgood bro ^^^^^...but some of us are a little OCD 'bout stuff and I uhhh.....still cant do it lmao!

Honestly, I actually tried this (rotella) early on in my riding career when I first bought my 636 and it just acted really funky so I didn't go back to it - however that was before Shell changed up the recipe (supposedly - I have only read articles on this) so maybe it would act better now - not sure and wont try lol.

THis oil thing almost comes down to a feeling or whatever helps one sleep at night type of thing lol. Down deep ill say im a firm believer in CHANGING the oil frequently/semi frequently and that is really the biggie IMO. Whatever we each believe quality to be could be somewhat objective (butt dyno) as most wont read up on oil or find out how they fare in tests and really IMO there are only just a handful of oils that have tested well - most if not all having been mentioned in this thread.

#41 ·
When i recently bought my bike it was running Amsoil in it. Being hard to find in Australia i went with the Motul 7100 and instantly noticed a running temperate difference of around 10%. The Amsoil being the cooler temps. Odd i know but in future i will try to seek it out as its pretty bloody hot here.

#42 ·
Not alot of love for the Rotella. I've been running it in my bikes for the last ten years never any issues, as far as longevity, who cares when it's only $20 to change your oil, you can do it three times as often.

Seriously though, I love it and will continue using it

#45 ·
What fun would life be without an oil thread? :2bitchslap:

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone whose engine or clutch failed from using Rotella or any of the other usual suspects. Yeah, shifting does get notchy and weird after a little while...just like most of the other sub $30/gal oils. Even Repsol has this issue. Mobil 1 4T is bad ass. Amsoil and Motul are my other favs. But if you're changing your oil at decent intervals, use the right weight for your situation, and you are not Scout then pretty much anything JASO rated is going to be more than adequate.

#49 ·
I've been using Mobil 1 or Castrol in my stryker but haven't switched to synthetic in the ZX yet since it still has low mileage.
When I owned a FZ1,lots of the forum members swore by Rotella with good results. I'm not one for switching oils......to me its a moot point. I just pick one and stick with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.