11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 Old 03-14-2017, 03:37 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kllongbrake View Post
Ratings. Like ECE, DOT etc. They're impact rating tests. FYI I proudly wear an Icon helmet. Airframe pro Carbon because it fits great and it's light. When I ride non sport bikes I wear a helmet that works better not in the tuck. And I'm pretty sure if I google search I'll find racers wearing everything. Schuberth, arai, Icon, shark, bell, Nolan, you name it. But I guess they won't count because they might not be in the top 5 of your favorite racers. I'm saying it's ignorant to push people, especially those who might be new to motorcycling, into buying, what some might percieve as, overpriced stuff they might not need. Not everything has to be the most expensive to be effective. THAT is ignorant. Thats why I said ignorant statement. I'll bow out right now, just show me some statistics of deaths where the cause is related to the choice in DOT and ECE rated helmets. Just how many people do you think are brain dead or died because they chose one helmet brand over another? What the hell is a "dolt" anyway? I've been called just about everything in my years but never a "dolt".
A "dolt" is a stupid person.
Kllongbrake likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 03-14-2017, 06:35 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
Edited for some pretty obvious reasons. The heated argument is no problem but we cant call other members F*%@*tards. That wont be tolerated.
You're right, that was out of line. I apologize. And to Obijack and everyone else for the foul language.
post #23 of 30 Old 03-14-2017, 09:54 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Fckit... I'll drop in on this one.

I wore through about 3 or 4 sets of the Original Timax gauntlet gloves, and crashed more than a few. It was one of the best pair of gloves I've ever owned. Comfortable, insulated, long lasting, and quite awesome looking... perhaps just a touch too thick for that pro-lever racer feedback that the .01% may need. They always drew all sorts of looks, but never hostility. The originals had rivets in the palm impact area to aid in sliding. They worked, but that particular part of the glove didn't wear well after a crash.... it would usually lose a rivet or two. They were under 200 bucks a pair in the mid 2000's, and I have yet to find a glove that wears as well. The Timax 2 dropped a lot of the Ring Wraith like armor, but those were good gloves as well in just about every regard.

These look like cheap pieces by comparison. Gone are the palm reinforcements, the Nomex brand name liner, the ceramic infused leather inserts, extra articulation panels, and probably the the kevlar stitching. The old gloves were a fashion statement for sure, but hot damn they worked! These look about 50% as functional, and surprise, they are more than 50% more expensive. Frankly, it's goddamn insulting... you can buy a set of Held Phantom or Titans for that price.

...and the Ti knuckle is fantastic at smashing glass. Smashing glass is also a great way to test how good your other crash gear happens to be, so buy (and act) accordingly.

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 03-14-2017 at 01:42 PM.

post #24 of 30 Old 03-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
You're right, that was out of line. I apologize. And to Obijack and everyone else for the foul language.
Much appreciated. Its not the foul language as much as the name calling but I think the apology is awesome. Let me punch that on your man card.

post #25 of 30 Old 03-14-2017, 06:13 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
Much appreciated. Its not the foul language as much as the name calling but I think the apology is awesome. Let me punch that on your man card.
Hey, thanks. Yeah I get it, we're adults and can do without the name calling. I can be a real dolt sometimes.
post #26 of 30 Old 03-15-2017, 03:25 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Hey, thanks. Yeah I get it, we're adults and can do without the name calling. I can be a real dolt sometimes.
No worries. We all can if were honest. Not many are man enough to issue a public apology though so...

post #27 of 30 Old 03-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

FYI kllongbrake i didn't read your original post so I don't know what names you called me.

Also, I never said x gear is better than Y gear, ONLY because it cost more. You assumed and inferred that from the limited context of my statement. That is largely my fault for not taking the time to explain myself. The bottom line is there are better brands and there are worse brands, especially when talking Helmets. I happen to be in the camp, as I would argue, most people who have been around motorcycles long enough are, Icon is a brand who invests in looks over performance. Sort of the ricer of the motorcycle industry (all show and no go). Does that mean icon is crap, not necessarily.

But comparing their top of the line helmet to an AGV Corsa or Shoei X14, is the same as comparing a Hyosung 650 twin to a Kawasaki 650 (found in the ninja 650, z650, and Versys). Both are probably fun, reliable, well built motors, and will get the job done 99% of the time. But there is an undeniable level of objectivity that surrounds those two comparisons that dictate one is simply better than the other. Just as there is a vast difference between those two motors, there is a vast difference between the former helmet comparison. You argue that it is me being subjectively swayed for an arbitrary difference. But alas, that is not the case. I started out wearing Icon helmets back in the day because of the cool graphics. In fact I still have my first icon helmet on the shelf to remind me of all the fun I had when I first started riding. However, years later I came to learn about the quality of helmets, as I just assumed all were the same more or less. A helmet is a helmet. However, I know now, that is not the case. You see we were trying to do the same thing. That is, share our knowledge about motorcycle gear with the hope it may help someone, sometime. I should have explained myself more fully, and I am sorry I didn't.

And yes, there exsist a big difference between DOT and Snell ratings. Just as One example, several racing organizations require Snell and will not let you race in a DOT helmet. Although some do.

I'm sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention. I guess we can agree to disagree about this issue, unless I misunderstood your position on the subject.
Kllongbrake likes this.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS

Last edited by obijack; 03-18-2017 at 05:07 PM.
post #28 of 30 Old 03-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Lol mirror smashing gloves. Thats for n00bs. This is where its at

https://youtu.be/P3plT7qSIsU

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

Last edited by -Op-; 03-18-2017 at 04:17 PM.
post #29 of 30 Old 03-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
FYI kllongbrake i didn't read your original post so I don't know what names you called me.

Also, I never said x gear is better than Y gear, ONLY because it cost more. You assumed and inferred that from the limited context of my statement. That is largely my fault for not taking the time to explain myself. The bottom line is there are better brands and there are worse brands, especially when talking Helmets. I happen to be in the camp, as I would argue, most people who have been around motorcycles long enough are, Icon is a brand who invests in looks over performance. Sort of the ricer of the motorcycle industry (all show and no go). Does that mean icon is crap, not necessarily.

But comparing their top of the line helmet to an AGV Corsa or Shoei X14, is the same as comparing a Hyosung 650 twin to a Kawasaki 650 (found in the ninja 650, z650, and Versys). Both are probably fun, reliable, well built motors, and will get the job done 99% of the time. But there is an undeniable level of objectivity that surrounds those two comparisons that dictate one is simply better than the other. Just as there is a vast difference between those two motors, there is a vast difference between the former helmet comparison. You argue that it is me being subjectively swayed for an arbitrary difference. But alas, that is not the case. I started out wearing Icon helmets back in the day because of the cool graphics. In fact I still have my first icon helmet on the shelf to remind me of all the fun I had when I first started riding. However, years later I came to learn about the quality of helmets, as I just assumed all were the same more or less. A helmet is a helmet. However, I know now, that is not the case. You see we were trying to do the same thing. That is, share our knowledge about motorcycle gear with the hope it may help someone, sometime. I should have explained myself more fully, and I am sorry I didn't.

And yes, there exsist a big difference between DOT and Snell ratings. Just as One example, several racing organizations require Snell and will not let you race in a DOT helmet. Although some do.

I'm sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention. I guess we can agree to disagree about this issue, unless I misunderstood your position on the subject.
Obijack, it's all good man. Apparently neither of us explained what we thinking in a way where the other could understand the point being made. Agreed. Let's agree on some points and disagree on others and move on. I'm not mad at all and, for what it's worth, it was you who called me a "Dolt", a stupid person, and I returned it with "F$#kT&*d", or stupid person. But I was laughing when I typed it because, as you stated, we weren't communicating well and you thought I was talking about reviews and not safety rating. And I only bring that up because I'm an argumentative SOB and like to set the record straight. Enjoy your Sunday Sir. I'd give you an emoji handshake, but I couldn't find one so cheers.
obijack likes this.
post #30 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I just want to know if the new Icon gloves will provoke or prevent road rage from either party involved. I know if I saw someone with brass knuckles I'd be very inclined to de-escalate the situation. However if I was wearing brass knuckles, I might be more inclined to escalate the situation - because well, I need to show them how big my balls are via the brass knuckles as opposed to delicately placing them on their forehead after I knock them out - sarcasm!

Scenario is just that, a scenario... So instead of DOT vs SNELL certifications (for which even in that there is debate on which is better. In particular high speed vs low speed protection).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.