Mirror Smashers? - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 Old 03-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLife View Post
I would get those gloves but I can't justify $200-$300 on just gloves for the street.
I'm going to have to disagree with this. Having been down on the street a couple times wearing my track gloves(Held Phantoms) I certainly can justify expensive gloves on the street to myself at least. Being a machinist and a bass player I'm kinda fond of my hands. Not to say that less expensive gloves wouldn't have done the job I just think of it as inexpensive insurance.
Gen-Eric likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 03-11-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with this. Having been down on the street a couple times wearing my track gloves(Held Phantoms) I certainly can justify expensive gloves on the street to myself at least. Being a machinist and a bass player I'm kinda fond of my hands. Not to say that less expensive gloves wouldn't have done the job I just think of it as inexpensive insurance.
Agreed here. You are at more risk on the street vs track, thus it would seem obvious to have better protection. Then again, if you are one of those guys that just put around, and truck their bike to the local cars and coffee, you'll be ok with some cheap gloves.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-12-2017, 03:47 AM
lau
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You get what you pay for . Don't be cheap, spend the money on yourself.
Btw smashing mirrors is fkn stupid .
Gen-Eric likes this.

post #14 of 30 Old 03-12-2017, 09:15 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

For the money get handroids. And if your hand gets wedge what do you think that metal will do? Similar to steel toed boots. Held, a stars, dainese, Knox, spidi, etc. I would never buy anything icon. I did when I was young and stupid and didn't know anything about quality. Like the op, man that looks cool is why I bought an icon helmet a million years ago. Now it's agv or shoei. Go check how many racers wear icon gear. They are the ones who crash test gear continuously.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #15 of 30 Old 03-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
For the money get handroids. And if your hand gets wedge what do you think that metal will do? Similar to steel toed boots. Held, a stars, dainese, Knox, spidi, etc. I would never buy anything icon. I did when I was young and stupid and didn't know anything about quality. Like the op, man that looks cool is why I bought an icon helmet a million years ago. Now it's agv or shoei. Go check how many racers wear icon gear. They are the ones who crash test gear continuously.
Great. More ignorant statements about helmet brands. It's $800, it has to be better than your $400 helmet. If you're not wearing AGV, Shoei, or Aria you're definitely going to die if you crash your motorcycle. Fit and ratings should be the first priority when choosing a helmet. Not how many racers wear them.
Capncalyx likes this.
post #16 of 30 Old 03-13-2017, 06:47 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kllongbrake View Post
Great. More ignorant statements about helmet brands. It's $800, it has to be better than your $400 helmet. If you're not wearing AGV, Shoei, or Aria you're definitely going to die if you crash your motorcycle. Fit and ratings should be the first priority when choosing a helmet. Not how many racers wear them.
Ignorant statement? There is a reason those helmets are more money. And it isn't because they look cool. How can you say I am making an ignorant statement by implying AGV and Shoei spend more on R&D and produce safer helmets? In in this world you get what you pay for. But keep on thinking your $250 Icon is as good. Fit is obviously important. Ratings? I am referring to ratings when I say go look how many people, WHO RISK THEIR LIVES FOR A LIVING RIDING MOTORCYCLES AT THE VERY LIMIT, wear Icon helmets, you dolt. These are the people who constantly crash and lay down motorcycles. Do not be so naive. Why not go to cycle gear and buy a $50 dollar Bilt helmet since it is just as good? Hey if it fits good and the people on cycle gear give it 5 stars, then your good to go with your logic.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #17 of 30 Old 03-13-2017, 08:38 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
I guess I should have been more specific, I wouldn't spend $200-$300 on Icon gloves just to ride around with on the street.
I'd rather spend that on Held gloves or something along those lines that I can wear not only on the street but to the track if I wanted to as well.

04' ZX10
06' Green ZX10-On the road to recovery
post #18 of 30 Old 03-13-2017, 08:35 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
Ignorant statement? There is a reason those helmets are more money. And it isn't because they look cool. How can you say I am making an ignorant statement by implying AGV and Shoei spend more on R&D and produce safer helmets? In in this world you get what you pay for. But keep on thinking your $250 Icon is as good. Fit is obviously important. Ratings? I am referring to ratings when I say go look how many people, WHO RISK THEIR LIVES FOR A LIVING RIDING MOTORCYCLES AT THE VERY LIMIT, wear Icon helmets, you dolt. These are the people who constantly crash and lay down motorcycles. Do not be so naive. Why not go to cycle gear and buy a $50 dollar Bilt helmet since it is just as good? Hey if it fits good and the people on cycle gear give it 5 stars, then your good to go with your logic.
Ratings. Like ECE, DOT etc. They're impact rating tests. FYI I proudly wear an Icon helmet. Airframe pro Carbon because it fits great and it's light. When I ride non sport bikes I wear a helmet that works better not in the tuck. And I'm pretty sure if I google search I'll find racers wearing everything. Schuberth, arai, Icon, shark, bell, Nolan, you name it. But I guess they won't count because they might not be in the top 5 of your favorite racers. I'm saying it's ignorant to push people, especially those who might be new to motorcycling, into buying, what some might percieve as, overpriced stuff they might not need. Not everything has to be the most expensive to be effective. THAT is ignorant. Thats why I said ignorant statement. I'll bow out right now, just show me some statistics of deaths where the cause is related to the choice in DOT and ECE rated helmets. Just how many people do you think are brain dead or died because they chose one helmet brand over another? What the hell is a "dolt" anyway? I've been called just about everything in my years but never a "dolt".

Last edited by or10r; 03-14-2017 at 03:32 AM.
post #19 of 30 Old 03-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I've never bought into brand x that costs 50% more is immediately better than brand y.

For instance I think a lot of A* gear is not very well made...I used to work in the trade and see many returns on their boots for instance. The fluro slider one (can't remember name) had like an 80% return rate due to said sliders falling off and zips busting.

That said, I am choosy over which brands I use, but I go for known quality rather than price and flashy marketing.

So for example...

Although I have done in the past, I will never now use a non Japanese made helmet. Shoei or Arai for me.
The best boots you can buy IMO are made by German company Daytona.
I've crash tested Arlen Ness leathers many times on track and they've kept me safe in high speed offs.
Knox back and chest protector...the same (although I'm testing Forcefield this year).

I just go for what fits well, and is made by good known companies, then I usually buy entry level in their range.
post #20 of 30 Old 03-14-2017, 03:35 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kllongbrake View Post
Ratings. Like ECE, DOT etc. They're impact rating tests. FYI I proudly wear an Icon helmet. Airframe pro Carbon because it fits great and it's light. When I ride non sport bikes I wear a helmet that works better not in the tuck. And I'm pretty sure if I google search I'll find racers wearing everything. Schuberth, arai, Icon, shark, bell, Nolan, you name it. But I guess they won't count because they might not be in the top 5 of your favorite racers. I'm saying it's ignorant to push people, especially those who might be new to motorcycling, into buying, what some might percieve as, overpriced stuff they might not need. Not everything has to be the most expensive to be effective. THAT is ignorant. Thats why I said ignorant statement. I'll bow out right now, just show me some statistics of deaths where the cause is related to the choice in DOT and ECE rated helmets. Just how many people do you think are brain dead or died because they chose one helmet brand over another? What the hell is a "dolt" anyway? I've been called just about everything in my years but never a "dolt".
Edited for some pretty obvious reasons. The heated argument is no problem but we cant call other members F*%@*tards. That wont be tolerated.
Kllongbrake likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.