Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Long time, building another land speed Gen 2

10K views 61 replies 11 participants last post by  SpazOnaZX 
#1 ·
Hey folks, I took a few years off racing, but I'm slowly building another land speed ZX10. This one will be naked, alcohol & nitrous, for Bonneville and El Mirage hopefully. Low-buck project with a 200mph target. best, Dean

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Ohhhhh snap! What class are you shooting for, M or A? It would be cool to finally meet you out on the flats next year. :) We'll be out at El Mirage in November this year too... but that will probably be my last event until Speed Week next year... this stuff is expensive! :)

Subscribed man, can't wait to see what you come up with!

PS the cherry bomb on the end of that pipe is pretty wild looking, hehe.

#6 ·
Hey folks, not much to report. I took it to Atlanta Dragway to shake down the chassis, and it ran well. Best of 9.76 @ 146. Felt stable.

I then took it to a half-mile land speed event and got one pass, no spray. Somewhere between the quarter mile and half I shifted into 6th and went over a bump, and the front end went into a wicked lock-to-lock tankslapper. I loosened up my grip and sat up and it settled down. Scared the hell out of me.

So, over this winter, I will look over the chassis closely and make some adjustments to add more rake. Also I'll start mounting the sparybar and associated plumbing, bottle, etc. IF the bike is stable I'll spray it on the new ECTA track in Blytheville, Arkansas next year.

Dean

#8 ·
Damn, yea I had one of those tankslappers on my ZX7R. Scary stuff. Nice to hear someone working on a Gen 2. Can't wait to see how far you go with it. They say limiter shuts it down at 186 indicated which is like 175 real speed I think. What's the fastest you've gone on a Gen 2 stock so far?

#9 ·
Hey folks, not too much to report here, despite the year that has passed.

One advance is the engine - which was built and blueprinted by board hero "gaz" (Jim) who lives nearby. He does excellent work. Cooper performance did a nice CNC valvejob, and Jim cleaned up the ports, installed the pistons, set the squish, valvesprings, degreed the Cosworth intake cam and stock exhaust cam, and a bunch of other stuff. This is the first time I haven't built my own engine, and I have to say I could get used to it :) I will take it to Brian Livengood soon and report back with dyno charts running U4.4 gas, which should pass tech with the SCTA.

I also made some small chassis changes, swapped the fuel tank, and decided to use a wet nitrous kit instead of dry. I will update when that's installed, but basically it will use nozzles mounted in the throttle bodies, using 43psi from the Walbro pump. NX helped me pick out a few sets of pills to run with E85 and this set up, starting easy with 40hp. I'll tune it with Brian, then pull everything off and try for the gas class record first.

I hope to take the bike out to the first El Mirage meet in May and try the beat the M-G 1000 minimum at 144. On asphalt I've been 186 on a similar bike, so it's within reach.

happy new year,
Dean

Attachments

#15 ·
I also made some small chassis changes....
I just noticed that swingarm/fork combo on there.... are those stock HayBus parts? What did you have to do to get those to fit, if I may ask? I'm looking for a way to get a little more rake (for tire clearance), and it's a lot easier to find suzuki parts that will do the job........

#16 ·
The fork and clamps are from a Busa, the wheels are GSXR. AllBalls sells a bearing kit to use the Busa steering stem on a ZX10 frame. I used to have a shortened Busa fork, but swapped it out with a stock set to add rake. I also lowered the rear with dog bones.

Spaz, do you have pics of your turbo header? Did you make it yourself?

#18 ·
Thanks!

I do have a few pics in my build thread (https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/new-turbo-project-198337.html), some before coating, and some after. That was my second turbo header that I was involved in making, and it is for an internal gate turbo... I would do a few things differently now, and I will be doing a new one for the A-frame bike I'll be building this year for next year's shenanigans. It helps that I have all the stuff in house to do it now, and I don't have to rely on the shady welder who put that last one together. Are you looking to put something together? I have a lot of good snaps from all these V-twin turbo headers we've been building lately.... :)

#20 ·
Gracias! Getting it that high was for the drain, and I'm pretty happy I never had to use a scavenge pump. :) It did make using an internal wastegate a real pain though... the next one will get an external gate.

I'm going to try and race it as a streetbike one more time this year @ Elmo and Bonneville (faired and unfaired, respectively), then it's going back to 100% street duty. We have a lot of other bikes to build and maintain, and I may end up riding a few blown and/or nitrous pushrod motors in the mean time. If everything goes well I'll come out in 2020 with a A-1000-BF/BG with a 10R powerplant in it and try to set those records up above 210.

I don't have a build thread for anything yet, but I'm going to start posting a few for the V-twins, and I'll definitely post one for the A bike when I get to it. :) I will update the other thread as I get the intercooler up and running, and hopefully make it out to the 1/2 mile event at the end or March in AZ.

#24 · (Edited)
little red locktite may secure those nozzles, hard to say with that size braided line, thier limited flexability and any side loads imposed on nozzle. smaller fittings and line should work, be easier to route with less strain on nozzles. realize ur flowing alcohol. male end on line direct to nozzles would give little more room. u jetting at the nozzles? if so a flared female adapter in nozzles may give u little more room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.