How to ride a motorcycle on street and live and have fun. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-04-2017, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

How to ride a motorcycle on street and live and have fun.

How to ride a motorcycle on street and live and have fun.

Defense
1) Always pay attention to where you are and who is around you.
2) Always pay attention to intersections, i.e. roads that will intersect with yours.
3) Always try to head check left or right depending on lane position before travelling through an intersection so you can manuever in your lane to make you more visible and provide an escape route.
4) Always try to maintain the greatest visibility of the road in front of you.
6) Always head check before changing lanes, or doing anything stupid. Mirrors are a necessary evil and lead to very bad habits, and I profess a lot of accidents!
7) Always know you will make someone upset with agressive maneuvers.
8) Never physically piss someone off, i.e. the finger, slapped mirror, etc.
9) Never get in front of someone you have pissed off and ride slow - just keep going and even pick up the pace to get away from them.
10) Never confront someone you have pissed off. A car will ALWAYS defeat a bike in a physical altercation.
11) If you feel uncomfortable in any situation, the best defense is a good offense.

Offense
1) Ride agressively, stay 5 to 10 mph above flow of traffic (5mph is what most US states recommend.)
2) Do not let yourself become surrounded in a wolf pack, get out as soon as the safest opportunity presents.
3) Accelerate when changing lanes, always assume the person in the lane you want is going faster than you.
4) Change lanes to make yourself more visible as necessary.
5) Same as defense, always head check before making any sudden move.

Edit to Add: The street is impossible to master, the variables involved are too great, but each of us as individuals can boost our own safety and security by maintaining a superior skillset. A skillset not just on street, but in connecting with people. For example, when I pass through intersections with a vehicle waiting to turn in my path, I give them a wave. A thank you for seeing me, and waiting for me. They love this - trust me.
Ben75 likes this.

Last edited by Gen-Eric; 03-04-2017 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Addendum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-05-2017, 04:32 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

All good. I can add a few things. First, must be totally dialed into the bike; that means have to ride everyday with majority of miles on empty tight turn stuff in rural area pushing limits BUT inside comfort zone. Never lose patience; if unable to do whatever that normally is done then go into calm wait mode. Next, know every aspect of your route. Next, read the road! Look what cagers do in certain areas and adjust in future while always reading current situation to adjust accordingly. For instance, in three city areas of my 200 mile loop I know that cagers leaving a mall have to often cut across three lanes to make an intersection. I look for them and chop. Often they hear or just see my speed change and safely make their turn. A couple other places just like this occur, both near freeway exits. Read the road. Riding is not a race and is not a pace unless no one around. In rural areas I run hot when zero traffic. BUT if oncoming I reduce speed and if I'm catching someone I again reduce speed. I never pass anyone at high speed; just ease past and ease back into the pace. The loop is a true Christian mystical experience.
belkins likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
The loop is a true Christian mystical experience.
Are you high?!
belkins likes this.

post #4 of 19 Old 03-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kllongbrake View Post
Are you high?!
Some say he is the love child of Valentino Rossi and Giacomo Agostini and he drinks a chilled liter of AMSOIL synth before every ride.... all we know is that he is called the scout.

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
post #5 of 19 Old 03-06-2017, 02:31 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
I luv Scout!I use to have trouble understanding some of his threads but after time a worked out if you turn your screen upside down but make sure the screen is locked first bingo!clear as day and everything makes sense!your a legend mate and just hi on life ay.......
belkins likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd10r View Post
I luv Scout!I use to have trouble understanding some of his threads but after time a worked out if you turn your screen upside down but make sure the screen is locked first bingo!clear as day and everything makes sense!your a legend mate and just hi on life ay.......
ROFL!

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~+1 -2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
post #7 of 19 Old 03-06-2017, 09:39 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

More offense, less defense.
turtle1000 likes this.

post #8 of 19 Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh View Post
More offense, less defense.
What does more offense mean on the street with other people that don't give a sh*t about you?

I'm not trying to chide you, I would like to know your honest thoughts on what you mean.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-06-2017, 09:30 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

e.g. If you are blocked in, pass on the shoulder, preferably on the back wheel.
trackaddict and Kllongbrake like this.

post #10 of 19 Old 03-07-2017, 08:29 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Lol, but wat? Today did my loop after viewing snow on Mt. hamilton but temp was 47f and knew the road was without black ice. Snow all over the place; as I floated the 10r i totally appreciated the snow on both sides of the road and the stupid sand ON the road laid done by Cal Trans. Figured if I didn't chop I'd make it ok. All good. Pace not that stellar but one of the best loops ever. I'm still floating right now after doing a bunch of crap around the house upon reaching home. Weather here is in beginning Spring mode; and we our rain level this year was toward the upper end but well within normal range. About 21 inches for my place. Translation: rode less than a 12 loops the entire winter up to this date. The '13 10r has near of just over 62,000 miles.
peterd10r likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.