How to ride a motorcycle on street and live and have fun. - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 Old 03-08-2017, 02:06 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hi Scout hope your well!Scout I noticed you have "Twisties"for your whateva you call I.D icon!do you guys get Chicken Twisties?if you do grab yourself a nice fresh crusty bread roll!cut it open and butter it then load Chicken Twisties in it and crush it down!give that a go mate and let me no what you think cheers the thunder from downunder!
scout likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 03-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
lets not forget to ALWAYS wear your gear
post #13 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnkeza View Post
lets not forget to ALWAYS wear your gear
That's a good point. Minimum gear I would suggest is:

1) Head: Helmet (always, always, always)
2) Back: Wear some kind of back protection, be it in a jacket w/foam, or external protector w/foam, or CE 1/2.
3) Hands: Gloves w/palm sliders (Yeah it sucks in hot weather, but until you go down and actually feel how well sliders protect you - you'll never go back) +1 for gloves with palm sliders.
4) Feet: Definitely wear some kind of shoe/boot that protects your toes, heel, and ankle.

If you really care about yourself, and those that care about you, you'll also consider

1) Shoulder protection
2) Elbow/forearm protection
3) Knee/shin protection
4) Chest protection
5) Tailbone protection
6) Hip protection

A lot of manufactures provide great gear that covers all of this without looking like a GP fast boy on the street.

Last edited by Gen-Eric; 03-11-2017 at 01:13 AM.

post #14 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 07:40 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd10r View Post
Hi Scout hope your well!Scout I noticed you have "Twisties"for your whateva you call I.D icon!do you guys get Chicken Twisties?if you do grab yourself a nice fresh crusty bread roll!cut it open and butter it then load Chicken Twisties in it and crush it down!give that a go mate and let me no what you think cheers the thunder from downunder!
Chicken twisties? Our local Safeway chain does not carry the twistie stuff or I've never noticed it. I do all the store stuff of the family as I worked my way through college at the grocery store, so part of my nature as I know grocery in every possible way; and wife hates that place anyway. Kids love it, though. If by 'crush' you be thinking some good rum, yup, I do that now that the wife is home all the time! lol, I do water it down by one half, though. lasts longer, ofc.

Last edited by scout; 03-11-2017 at 07:42 PM.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-11-2017, 07:44 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen-Eric View Post

1) Head: Helmet (always, always, always)
2) Back: Wear some kind of back protection, be it in a jacket w/foam, or external protector w/foam, or CE 1/2.
3) Hands: Gloves w/palm sliders (Yeah it sucks in hot weather, but until you go down and actually feel how well sliders protect you - you'll never go back) +1 for gloves with palm sliders.
4) Feet: Definitely wear some kind of shoe/boot that protects your toes, heel, and ankle.

If you really care about yourself, and those that care about you, you'll also consider

1) Shoulder protection
2) Elbow/forearm protection
3) Knee/shin protection
4) Chest protection
5) Tailbone protection
6) Hip protection

A lot of manufactures provide great gear that covers all of this without looking like a GP fast boy on the street.
Yes, off the shelf Keith Code Rocket one piece 5.0 with icon liner; and with Code rocket boots; all wear like iron for me. I hope that stuff is still on the market. I won't buy Code's gloves again as the last ones bled all over.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-12-2017, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Yes, off the shelf Keith Code Rocket one piece 5.0 with icon liner; and with Code rocket boots; all wear like iron for me. I hope that stuff is still on the market. I won't buy Code's gloves again as the last ones bled all over.
I think it is adorable how you blather your posts knowing full well you speak fluent English.
scout likes this.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-20-2017, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Additional suggestions:

1) Ride in the tracks left behind of vehicles in front of you (left or right side of your current lane). This will be the best place to "clear" the path for your tires, and your bike. Nails, debris, oil, etc. This will also give you the best visibility in your lane.
2) Avoid the center of your lane, same as above - oil and debris.
3) Always offset your riding position in a group. Do not follow another rider in a straight line. If the rider you are following is on the left side of the lane, you should be on the right side of the lane, and vice versa. When approaching a turn, adjust your position to best handle the turn (outside-in), and once the turn is completed reposition the group accordingly.
4) If you ride in a group, abide by the groups rules because those are the rules that everyone is using and expecting of each other.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-20-2017, 05:24 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen-Eric View Post
Yeah, I'm a fan of more traditional look rather than stepping off the MotoGP Grid. Best colour = Black.

In Finland they are getting into day glo safety vests and crap but to be honest, Can't make them out for crap when the vegetation around them is bright green and the sun which shines 20+ hours in the day is behind them. No better off than any other colour. Have a nice black wet jacket with full armor which just has some slight silver reflective trim. Much better.

Usually couple that with leather pants and sports boots (up on shins) with good gloves. Thay way I have rain proof upper with good protection lower on the street. Must admit though, my summer gloves are white and black.

Riding after snow, never over cook entry into corners especially if there are side streets near them as there is bound to be gravel or sand dumped there from the Winter months.

When it comes to safety, be pro active rather than reactive to the situation. Don't switch off and think your gear will cover your ass as 9 times out of 10, it wont.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-21-2017, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitze View Post
Yeah, I'm a fan of more traditional look rather than stepping off the MotoGP Grid. Best colour = Black.

Riding after snow, never over cook entry into corners especially if there are side streets near them as there is bound to be gravel or sand dumped there from the Winter months.
This is also a very good point. In climates that actually experience snowfall and freezing temperatures, the roads can become glazed with slippery salt, and piles of salt and gravel from snow plows. Also nails like to gather on the edges of plowed areas, so stay away from edges of roads, parking lots, etc.

Roads will also acquire pot holes due to the salt and melting ice seeping into the pavement and then freezing again and expanding the asphalt causing it to crack and loosen, and eventually get kicked up by traffic creating a hole.

So when starting your new riding season after a wintery love fest, be mindful that the roads you experienced as good before, may not be so good now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.