Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

H2 SX SE tuning results

14K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  lun471k 
#1 · (Edited)
I took my bike to get de-restricted and tuned. We used woolich tuning software.

Baseline we did 3 runs and got 161hp, 163hp and 164hp with 84ft.lbs. on the 3rd run. The third run sent the bike into limp mode. We learned that it was because we didn't hook the ECU up and disable the front wheel speed sensor fault code before running it on the dyno.

The tuning shop had ordered a bench flashing harness so the ECU had to be removed from the bike to connect it to the computer. The diagnostic reset only works with the ECU in the bike. So we had to preform the stupid code reset procedure, 1. idle the bike for 30 sec or more, 2. take the bike out and ride it around at over 25mph for 5-10 min 3 shut it off and repeat 3 times. Riding the bike over 25mph for 5 minutes at a time is a lot harder than it sounds in Tucson. Did I mention it was 99° at noon that day?

Finally got the fault codes cleared and back on the dyno and we were able to start the tuning. Took the throttle valve restrictions out and ran it. It gained 5hp and the A/F reading was spiking lean at 10k rpms . So the tuner kept adding fuel until it started losing power but the lean spike at 10k was still there. Here is where it really exceeded my comprehension level. He said it was running so rich the dynos A/F reader was seeing it as lean ?. He pulled fuel and it started making power.

He got it up to 184hp 93 ft.lbs safely. Then we started talking about bumping the redline 500rpms. I told him I was pretty sure woolich had done it. We decided we trusted woolich. So we decided to send it and try 13,000rpms. I attached the video of the bikes first time revving to 13,000rpms. The bike made 209 hp 96ft.lbs. without changing the timing or fueling.

The tuner reached out to Anthony (WR NA) who reached out to woolich to see how aggressive they were running the timing on the H2 SX SE they tuned. After confirming that they had successfully been more aggressive with the timing we decided to get a little more aggressive. The bike made 216hp and 99ft.lbs. We then did 4 back to back runs. Runs 1 and 2 were 216hp then run 3 was 206 run 4 was 203. Since the bike was pulling power as it got hotter we decided to back the timing down a little to be safer.

My tune is a little on the aggressive side but the tuner and I both feel it is safe. My final setup resulted in 213hp and 97ft.lbs. after backing it down. So we added 49hp and 13ft.lbs. from a filter swap and tune.

The tuner even took the time to help me dial in my suspension which was awesome.

It is a totally different monster. I didn't really get a chance to push it because it was dark when I left. Night time along the 45 mile ride home means more drunks, animals and cops. But I did play with it as little. My first impressions of the bike when I first got it I thought the bike didn't really have the violent acceleration you'd expect. It was still fast but very refined and smooth. Now at lower rpms and throttle input the bike feels just as refined and smooth but it feels like there is less resistance working against it. Kind of like pushing a box across the ground vs pushing a box around that's sitting on a skateboard. But at full throttle holy cow it has some vicious acceleration. It's violent like the bike is trying to accelerate so fast the rider flys off of the back. I love it!

I did get a couple graphs, a base line vs final tune and the 216hp graph vs my old 174hp zx10r (air filter, 2/3rds exhaust, de-restricted, tuned) for comparison.

First time running it to 13,000rpms. I'm not going to lie I was pretty nervous.
https://youtu.be/B8-d9pvS0ps

Supercharger chirping on the dyno.
https://youtu.be/fRfDldK_x54

The bike on the dyno.
https://youtu.be/h3aCCEd-v4s

Baseline vs Final tune
Text Line Pattern Design Slope

H2 SX SE vs My ZX-10R
Text Line Parallel Design Font

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
While more RPM does = more peak boost, the H2 family is heavily neutered from the factory.... the % of gain from simply allowing the throttle to be all the way open from a 'flash tune' is far and away greater than any other bike in history. Once you figure out the small problem of lowering IAT's, the gains to be had from tuning become even more ridiculous; there is no comparing forced induction to any NA bike in this regard.

Another story that these WFO dyno pulls don't tell is how this bike feels at partial throttle... you know, when you're riding it around normally around town or on the surface roads... It is truly something to be experienced. :)

#17 ·
Sorry I caused so much confusion guys. I only meant that the bike was really gaining a lot from the tune. If you look at a Gen 5 ZX-10R, they easily unlock 30 hp from a decent tune. It might be from lack of experience, but I haven't seen at ton of "stock" bikes getting such efficient tunes (mainly because what chokes the engine are the new euro4 restrictions).

I just meant that proportionnally speaking, both the H2 SX and ZX-10R have tremendous tune/flash results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.