Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Gen4 New Seat?

3K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  Krankasaki 
#1 ·
So, I was looking to buy a new seat and of course my first thought was Corbin. It's what I had on my 6 and I loved it. Unfortunately, the one I have fits Gen3 models, but not Gen4. Corbin doesn't seem to make them. I'm willing to throw down good money for a good seat because I like to go on some pretty lengthy rides. Anyone have any recommendations for comfortable seats?

#13 ·
I read this and even before I looked knew it was you, scout. Because I instantly agreed; the OEM seat is fookin' awesomely good on this bike. Crikey, my GSX-R is a ball-buster. But maybe for someone bigger and heavier than my 141 pounds I could see it.

I always say give the stock stuff a few thousand miles before changing things around, for most of us.

#5 · (Edited)
I've had the Saddleman Gel Channel Track seat for about the last 25k miles. I can't compare it to others that I've not tried, but I can tell you it's a major improvement over stock.

To put it into perspective, I found myself frequently standing on my pegs to relieve my bottom during long rides with the stock seat. I find myself standing on my pegs to keep my legs stretched from staying in one position during long rides with the Saddleman. That right there is the difference.

edit: I also forgot the mention, in the summer heat, the channel helps keeps your taint cooled off you don't get swamp ass so easily. It works, I'm not kidding.

#8 · (Edited)
Saddleman Gel Channel seats have been used on RidersDiscount AMA 675R...so they're good enough for my ZX-10R :wink:

Attachments

Reactions: ridersdiscount
#15 ·
Those coverings look great. Definitely gives a nicer visual. I just don't set $$$ aside for cosmetics any more, I spend too much on tires and maintenance just keeping up the shit I have. But if I tore a seat cover or whatever, nice to know this is a good reasonable fix.

#17 ·
Ive had bad experiences with Corbin. Bought one for a zx-12r and mounting tabs were facing different directions and they just ignored my emails. Other models just scratched up my tank or didnt fit with a crap.

For the gen 4 I sent my stocker to Spencer for his supracor and its perfect, not to firm or soft. If you want to add some style send a Luimoto cover along with it.

Page 1

#19 ·
Corbin in Hollister flies the Aztec Flag. I'm serious. Been there as it's right here, but been a couple years. They mostly like the Harley guys as the old timers have huge asses. lol

Fang, so true, this oem g4 seat is rock solid. 4 hours of twists every day. np. Never think about my bony ass at all, so that kinda says it all.

#21 ·
Funny that's right about Corbin; I don't know about the Aztec flag but yeah, I don't think they really get sport bikes at all, and their seats are heavy as crap, fiberglass pans. I had a couple, the one was great for my R100GS but the one for my Gen 1 FZ1 sucked, heavy, wide as crap. I liked the backrest though, because I carried a young lady passenger sometimes and it was great for her. But for some bikes they are good, no doubt. I just think the new wave in sport bikes demands a light product with firm support. I also had some fitment issues with the FZ1 saddle, took a whole day to fix everything.

#20 ·
I ordered the Saddlemen Track-CF. I like the idea of the center channel and will review after I've had a chance to ride on it for a while.

Regarding the stock seat, I don't always wear my one-piece, so on those days, after a few hours, the stock seat on my 12 6R felt like sitting on a stone. It got to the point where I started losing feeling in my feet, which, you know, matters :) I didn't even want to wait to get to that point on this new bike, I just wanted to preemptively get a new seat.

I'll miss my Corbin. It fit PERFECTLY to the bike and I could ride 8-10 hours with minimal discomfort. If Saddlemen doesn't work out, I will start trying other brands.

#23 ·
The leg numbness is exactly what I'm talking about. The stock seat on a bike is designed for relatively short track use and then you get to walk around doing nothing for 40 minutes. Hours of mountains is not what the stock sport bike seats are but for. Got the Saddlemen Track-CF today. Rode around for a bit and it feels like a different bIke. Still firm but with a little cushion above the firmness. Also easy to slide side to side when the moment calls for it :)

#28 ·
Good to hear you're liking the seat so far. IMO, a gel seat should be on the must have list for this bike

#37 ·
Do they take away any feedback though? Part of the reason stock units are firm, is to make them more communicative (and its cheaper), so wih more comfort comes less feedback. Obviously, it's only an issue if you are racing.

On my first gen i had streetskinns (facebook) do my seats, memory foan with alcantara suede in the middle, carbon looking sides... they were really comfortable and held up great through all westher including a few rain storms. Unfortunately sold them with the bike.

Fast forward 3 weeks since bike sold and got a new 4th gen last week, broke her in over the weekend with 150 miles and damn I forgot how uncomfortable the seat is.

Woke up today and paid for another set to be done, price is comparable to others on the market but with full custom options, from memory foam, materials, colors, even stitching. Downside is turnaround time is about one month, but once you take your first ride, they are definitely worth the time and money.

He's had some quality control issues as well, so make sure you inform him that you are aware of these potential problems and that you don't have the time to send seats back and forth. Let him get it right from the start.

#33 ·
Didnt realize there was an option of thickness.
I had to cut out 7/16" of the seat to install gel..
tried it out and can notice the difference right from the start..

#35 ·
Awesome. Glad you like it. A gel seat is a MUST for the Gen4 if you are going to be riding for hours at a time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.