Gen4 Motul 7100-300v - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 Old 10-17-2017, 04:09 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Stick to the street formulated 7100 Peter. I went to an engine oil tech session once (for a Porsche club meet) and the speaker was a lubricant engineer. Given it was for the Porsche club, the conversation was geared towards high performance applications. He told us that street engineered oils have additives that are dedicated to suspending dirt and unwanted contaminants in the oil (that will then exit the motor with a change) rather than allow them to settle and stick to engine components. If you're changing the oil after every weekend then maybe the 300V is better, if not then a street engineered oil is the better choice for your engine.
Capncalyx and peterd10r like this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 Old 10-17-2017, 04:12 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasexy View Post
Nobody lab test their oil unless there on a sponsored race team... For the average consumer nobody "knows" how long a motor will last. Too many variables to consider. Just saying we're talking about which toliet paper wipes our asses better lol.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Nahhh, lots of people test their oil. Its cheap, quick and easy. Some people get way into oil and will test different oils after a similar mileage on the same bike and see which one is working best for em. You'd be surprised at how many dudes send in oil samples for testing regularly.
GreenOne and peterd10r like this.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

"if you want to be told today to fk off let me no I can help"
- Peter
post #23 of 41 Old 10-17-2017, 04:26 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
Nahhh, lots of people test their oil. Its cheap, quick and easy. Some people get way into oil and will test different oils after a similar mileage on the same bike and see which one is working best for em. You'd be surprised at how many dudes send in oil samples for testing regularly.
Not trying to come off arrogant but I feel it's a waste of time to save engine longevity you can't magically formulate the end game. I'll add this one on my list of interesting finds. Thanks

peterd10r likes this.

post #24 of 41 Old 10-17-2017, 04:32 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You didnt, no worries. But yea its for hair splitters and bean counters for sure. Honestly i do find it mildly fascinating stuff though.
peterd10r likes this.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

"if you want to be told today to fk off let me no I can help"
- Peter
post #25 of 41 Old 10-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasexy View Post
Nobody lab test their oil unless there on a sponsored race team... For the average consumer nobody "knows" how long a motor will last. Too many variables to consider. Just saying we're talking about which toliet paper wipes our asses better lol.

As already mentioned, lots of people do used oil analysis. You can get this done at Blackstone labs for less than 50 bucks.
Nothing magic about it. Tells you how your engine and/or oil is doing in terms of wear metals or whatever need for data you have. Not that I do it though.
peterd10r and Kawasexy like this.

I`m just in for the ride
post #26 of 41 Old 10-17-2017, 11:32 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
If you're changing the oil after every weekend then maybe the 300V is better, if not then a street engineered oil is the better choice for your engine.
I second that and makes sense to me. What one is looking to get out of a motor over a race weekend or a race season and is willing to give up to get there is not the same as what one expects to get out of an every day motor long term. Performance tweeks to gain a few tenths of a second advantage is always a compromise somewhere. Also not relevant to OP's question but can I please report that I don't like synthetics at all for road. Motor sound and shift "butterness" does change with type of oil and is definitely not placebo in my experience. I have noticed that many times when switching back to conventional and I run 15W40 but that's another can of worms LOL. In my opinion there is no need to "compromise" to a race synthetic unless that is what is stopping you from being competitive.
peterd10r likes this.
post #27 of 41 Old 10-17-2017, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
My Stepson is a Analytical Chemist and checks oil in transformers!I have spoken to Tristan before about it and he's happy whenever to do it!Ive always put it in the "why bother"or "another added worry for what"basket but as quite a few members have stated heaps get it done!zinc levels and other oil readings from a Lab can't give me a personal real life feel or answers that I've been given now!but once I use 7100 and do enough kilometres who knows I could get it tested for shits and giggles!but if his report tells me there's high levels of h2o or metal content but the bike doesn't use oil or water that's just another "another added worry for what"type feeling!
The answer Ive been more or less given is what Motul actually tells customers!that is 7100 is a better option for street than 300v!trying to get the answer "why"from them won't happen
GreenOne likes this.
post #28 of 41 Old 10-18-2017, 03:49 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Ok. Everything is still civilized, I think we can handle some more ;)
First off, I think everyone is making good points.

The only thing I don`t agree with is the claim that 300v 10w40 needs more frequent changing. Here are some tests that may suggest the opposite.

From a lab test done by Sport Rider.
The total base number for a oil and the amount of acid neutralizers influence service life in regards to neutralizing acids and to keep particles suspended in the oil so the filter can do its job.

We also have the tapered roller shear test which indicate how well the oil retains viscosity. Again this could indicate service life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shear test.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	405633  
Attached Images

peterd10r likes this.

I`m just in for the ride
post #29 of 41 Old 10-18-2017, 03:55 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

In a lab test done by AMSOIL in 2006 Motul 300v also scores pretty good on the parameters that could indicate service life. The lower number here, the better. The full test is 28 pages.
I`m not claiming 300v is the best oil in the world. I`m just trying to get the facts out in regards to the claims that 300v only lasts for a weekend of racing. If someone has contradicting hard facts, please post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	amsoil_test.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	405657  
peterd10r likes this.

I`m just in for the ride

Last edited by GreenOne; 10-18-2017 at 05:17 AM.
post #30 of 41 Old 10-18-2017, 04:40 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

And just a thought regarding the "not suitable for street bikes";
300V is not API graded. The spec from Motul only states "above existing standards". That means the motorcycle manufacturers might have a claim against the user if something oil related goes wrong with the engine since the recommended API grade from the service manual is not followed. Anyway, in Motuls spec sheet it also states street bikes under uses.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spec sheet.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	405665  
peterd10r likes this.

I`m just in for the ride

Last edited by GreenOne; 10-18-2017 at 04:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.