Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Gen 1: Periodically Quits

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Drewski 
#1 ·
Running at lower rpms, like on a city street, it just instantly dies. Electrical seems fine. It turns over but not even a sign it will restart. I've played with the ignition and the kill switch, nothin'...

Then for what appears to be no reason, it will suddenly start right up and run fine. Later the same day or the next day, same routine. :|

It 'feels' like maybe the fuel pump quits and then comes back to life. I really don't know, just spit ballin'. :dontknow:

Any thots folks? :frown2:

#2 ·
There is a plug in the loom under the seat.
Its blue i believe.
Mine died and we traced it to corroded plug in the loom even though bike had never been ridden in the rain.
Kawasaki said its been a common issue with the gen1.
We cut the plug out completely and souldered wires together and it was perfect ever since.
To get to it you need to remove rear plastics.

#3 ·
There is a plug in the loom under the seat.
Its blue i believe.
Mine died and we traced it to corroded plug in the loom even though bike had never been ridden in the rain.
Kawasaki said its been a common issue with the gen1.
We cut the plug out completely and souldered wires together and it was perfect ever since.
To get to it you need to remove rear plastics.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the tip! We'll look into this! :smile2:

#5 ·
Thanks for the tips guys! Much appreciated! :notworthy

We found the issue. It was the blue connector in the harness under the seat as first mentioned here. It was actually burnt and beginning to melt! :surprise:

We ended up cutting it out, soldering the wires together, shrink wrapping them and cable tying them together. That should do it! :smile2:

The test will be this weekend. Off for a little ride! :laugh2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.