Gen 1 10R Making Fire Balls..... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-16-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Gen 1 10R Making Fire Balls.....

Morning chaps.

New member here, cracking looking site.

I am currently having epic fun on my Gen 1 10R ( My first 10R )

I bought it in standard trim this time last year, So I have been busy buying bits and bobs like you do......very happy with everything about the bike.

Step 1 was to loose the lamp post sized exhaust and get something a little more...well....little !

What a noise, sounds epic, maybe a little too loud but loud pipes save lives hey ?

Last night on a little meet-up, as all meets go, there enters a moment of madness and foolery. Now, the bike bangs and pops when backing off the gas. sounds ace I guess, my mate said its hoofing our fire balls....big blue ones.....so I flipped the camera round and true to his word, give it a fist full, , sounds epic, roll off and hey presto.....foot long blue fire .....looks ace at night !!

So, I have a K&N fitted, just swapped out the end can. The standard can had pops and bangs but they were muffled within its gigantic structure.

Is the fire an issue ? I don't have a power commander either.

Thanks chaps......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I was having a ZX11 dyno tuned many moons ago, and after the pull the dyno operator chops the throttle and the exhaust spit fireballs 10-20 feet

Sadly, they tuned it out. That was disappointing, but, the bike pulled cleanly from 1% throttle to 100% from 1500 rpms on up. So yes, you should invest in some tuning.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-16-2017, 07:51 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Blockoff plates and tune will fix that problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

05 ZX-10R SWB.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes you need to plug the inlet pipe to the "pair" valve if you want the backfire flames to stop. It is an emissions device that is meant to feed fresh air into the exhaust to help burn off (catalyze) the unburnt fuel in the exhaust. It works good with a stock exhaust. It blows flames with a race pipe.

A 1st Gen Ten will eat the hearts of grown men.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2017, 04:36 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Like the others have said you need a tune. Your bike is dumping excess fuel into the exhaust where its igniting and making cool blue flames.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 PM
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
Welcome to the site. Don't worry about the fire balls unless you really do not like them. They are harmless. Might blow out a cheap can, but other than that they have very marginal effect on performance if any on the bike. I personally wish they were bigger.

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
post #7 of 9 Old 03-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Block off plates will fix that. If your not inclined to spend any money you can do this...
How to: Block off plate alternative (Removing AIS) 3rd Gen

post #8 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I love the popping and banging from an unrestricted exhaust. Fun noises. Like the others said, block off plates or something to disable the air injection system and youll lose a lot of the popping. Tune helps to optimize too, so gets rid of some. As long as the bike isnt overly rich or lean, you're good.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickielynch View Post
Morning chaps.

New member here, cracking looking site.

I am currently having epic fun on my Gen 1 10R ( My first 10R )

I bought it in standard trim this time last year, So I have been busy buying bits and bobs like you do......very happy with everything about the bike.

Step 1 was to loose the lamp post sized exhaust and get something a little more...well....little !

What a noise, sounds epic, maybe a little too loud but loud pipes save lives hey ?

Last night on a little meet-up, as all meets go, there enters a moment of madness and foolery. Now, the bike bangs and pops when backing off the gas. sounds ace I guess, my mate said its hoofing our fire balls....big blue ones.....so I flipped the camera round and true to his word, give it a fist full, , sounds epic, roll off and hey presto.....foot long blue fire .....looks ace at night !!

So, I have a K&N fitted, just swapped out the end can. The standard can had pops and bangs but they were muffled within its gigantic structure.

Is the fire an issue ? I don't have a power commander either.

Thanks chaps......
The only thing I can add is Dickielynch!

As far as my own bike, I personally never bothered on my 10R to get rid of the fire balls

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.