Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Exhaust Thermal Tape

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  bikerman7502002 
#1 ·
I'm just so sure this has been settled on the forum many times over :bitchslap

Putting new, full Titanium Akrapovic exhaust system on my Gen1 & would like to wrap the headers (mainly to shield them from road debris).

**Please any info you have on dos, don'ts, pros, cons, best tape, best tape width, how best to apply, where to start/stop.

My inclination is to pickup something on Amazon (like Design Engineerings - DEI).

TIA
Phil

#3 ·
Phil-

Your Dos and Don'ts are.....DON'T.

Wrapping titanium with that junk can cause the headers to become brittle from the excessive heat. Let alone the fact that they will trap and retain water and road debris will add to the negatives. Plus they look like poop!

Leave those beautiful Akro headers open like they are designed. They are mostly shielded by the radiator and lower fairing anyway. There's nothing to shield them from with a wrap and you're likely to do more damage to the titanium than you will trying to protect them.

Reactions: GreenOne
#4 ·
Gesus H Krist, Hell just froze over, the Atlanta Falcons just won the Superbowl and today I finally found a Skydork post I completely and totally disagree with.

That titanium brittle argument has about as much merit as the brittle argument has for BST Carbon wheels, as in none. Oh wait, I read it on the internet, never mind.

DEI makes some great wrap. The only drawback is it is horrid to handle. Do it OUTSIDE your basement or garage and wear gloves and a dust mask. Once installed, it looks awesome IMHO.

#8 ·
YES and that's the entire idea.
Is the effect best obtained at the end of the exhaust or at the header?

I have heard the idea is to increase exhaust gas temperatures and this promotes the scavenging effect, how are you to know if your scavenging effect needs improvement? Is this the same idea, I need more air flow so I put a high flow air filter?

Did you notice any difference in how they bike performed after installing the wrap? Like less backfiing, smoother ride, less heat soak, etc.

I only ask as I am ignorant.

#12 ·
You want it to trap the heat. Yes it helps. Yes it makes tuning a bit more difficult. Yes you should use the titanium specific wrap. You don't wanna use it on thin titanium for sure. I wrapped my 4th gen but didn't wrap my full system on my 5th.

#15 ·
I've wrapped the stock exhausts on my last 3 bikes and saw 20-30 degree lower coolant temps plus they cooled down faster after starting to move (ie in stop and go traffic). I also did it because it made it nearly impossible to burn my hand compared to bare metal.

I have over 70,000 miles on my gen 3 and the welds on the header failed, possibly because of the tight overlap I did on the wrap. Since I changed to a full titanium system, the pipes cool down so quick compared to stock I'm not concerned with burning myself and the lower temps aren't critical for me, so debate or not I'm not risking the wrap causing any issue or failure. That and the titanium cleans up with Windex so it's easy to keep looking good lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.