Exhaust Thermal Tape - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-19-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Exhaust Thermal Tape

I'm just so sure this has been settled on the forum many times over

Putting new, full Titanium Akrapovic exhaust system on my Gen1 & would like to wrap the headers (mainly to shield them from road debris).

**Please any info you have on dos, don'ts, pros, cons, best tape, best tape width, how best to apply, where to start/stop.

My inclination is to pickup something on Amazon (like Design Engineerings - DEI).

TIA
Phil

Dress for the slide & not the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-19-2018, 10:21 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Won't this trap the heat and not provide any benefit?
post #3 of 15 Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Phil-

Your Dos and Don'ts are.....DON'T.

Wrapping titanium with that junk can cause the headers to become brittle from the excessive heat. Let alone the fact that they will trap and retain water and road debris will add to the negatives. Plus they look like poop!

Leave those beautiful Akro headers open like they are designed. They are mostly shielded by the radiator and lower fairing anyway. There's nothing to shield them from with a wrap and you're likely to do more damage to the titanium than you will trying to protect them.
GreenOne likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #4 of 15 Old 02-19-2018, 02:57 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Phil-

Your Dos and Don'ts are.....DON'T.

Wrapping titanium with that junk can cause the headers to become brittle from the excessive heat. Let alone the fact that they will trap and retain water and road debris will add to the negatives. Plus they look like poop!

Leave those beautiful Akro headers open like they are designed. They are mostly shielded by the radiator and lower fairing anyway. There's nothing to shield them from with a wrap and you're likely to do more damage to the titanium than you will trying to protect them.
Gesus H Krist, Hell just froze over, the Atlanta Falcons just won the Superbowl and today I finally found a Skydork post I completely and totally disagree with.

That titanium brittle argument has about as much merit as the brittle argument has for BST Carbon wheels, as in none. Oh wait, I read it on the internet, never mind.

DEI makes some great wrap. The only drawback is it is horrid to handle. Do it OUTSIDE your basement or garage and wear gloves and a dust mask. Once installed, it looks awesome IMHO.
SkyDork likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-19-2018, 02:58 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by F SANE IL View Post
Won't this trap the heat and not provide any benefit?
YES and that's the entire idea.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-19-2018, 03:00 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

18,000 miles and no brittle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004F.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	412554  
post #7 of 15 Old 02-19-2018, 03:16 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
How do you tell if they are brittle or not?
SkyDork likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-19-2018, 03:16 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtradamus View Post
18,000 miles and no brittle.
Quote:
YES and that's the entire idea.
Is the effect best obtained at the end of the exhaust or at the header?

I have heard the idea is to increase exhaust gas temperatures and this promotes the scavenging effect, how are you to know if your scavenging effect needs improvement? Is this the same idea, I need more air flow so I put a high flow air filter?

Did you notice any difference in how they bike performed after installing the wrap? Like less backfiing, smoother ride, less heat soak, etc.

I only ask as I am ignorant.
SkyDork likes this.

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-19-2018, 03:49 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Gesus H Krist, Hell just froze over, the Atlanta Falcons just won the Superbowl and today I finally found a Skydork post I completely and totally disagree with.

That titanium brittle argument has about as much merit as the brittle argument has for BST Carbon wheels, as in none. Oh wait, I read it on the internet, never mind.

DEI makes some great wrap. The only drawback is it is horrid to handle. Do it OUTSIDE your basement or garage and wear gloves and a dust mask. Once installed, it looks awesome IMHO.
Yeah, the brittleness argument is hearsay on my part since I don't have much experience with it. I haven't done any testing myself with it. So I'll concede the point.

It just boggles my mind to wrap titanium in mesh. The idea of keeping the heat up and improving the scavenging with it is sound, but it would have to be tuned for that with a goal in mind. This exhaust wrap was born out of the days when steel headers fell apart and could melt fairings because the exhaust ran so hot. Remember the days when black-coated Vance and Hines exhausts were the norm? Yeah, those were the days! Everybody and their uncle's cousins stepson grabbed the wrap at PepBoys and wrapped the headers. Oh boy, oh boy! Good times!

So with that said, here's the warning off of DEI's own website....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEI
Note about Titanium Exhaust Systems:
DEI does NOT recommend wrapping Titanium exhausts. The alloys used in the production of titanium exhaust systems tend to be thin and are designed to dissipate heat quickly. By wrapping the exhaust, the additional heat can make the titanium alloy turn brittle and prone to premature cracking. DEI recommends using alternatives such as our flexible heat shields when seeking to reduce the heat on titanium exhaust systems.
https://www.designengineering.com/ca...-lr-technology

I wouldn't worry so much about the titanium tubes themselves than I would about overheating and causing issues with any weldments of the heater. But hey, what do I know? I read it on the Interweb anyway.
Boxtradamus and evilaugust like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Last edited by SkyDork; 02-19-2018 at 03:52 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-19-2018, 04:46 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Yeah, the brittleness argument is hearsay on my part since I don't have much experience with it. I haven't done any testing myself with it. So I'll concede the point.

It just boggles my mind to wrap titanium in mesh. The idea of keeping the heat up and improving the scavenging with it is sound, but it would have to be tuned for that with a goal in mind. This exhaust wrap was born out of the days when steel headers fell apart and could melt fairings because the exhaust ran so hot. Remember the days when black-coated Vance and Hines exhausts were the norm? Yeah, those were the days! Everybody and their uncle's cousins stepson grabbed the wrap at PepBoys and wrapped the headers. Oh boy, oh boy! Good times!

So with that said, here's the warning off of DEI's own website....

https://www.designengineering.com/ca...-lr-technology

I wouldn't worry so much about the titanium tubes themselves than I would about overheating and causing issues with any weldments of the heater. But hey, what do I know? I read it on the Interweb anyway.
damn, I have been owned. I really knew in my heart of hearts the Falcons didn't win the Superbowl!

I guess I need to go and replace my brittle exhaust system now, silly me.
SkyDork likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in