Easiest way to reduce weight? - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 01:44 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I can appreciate where youre going with that idea, but do keep in mind that everyones wrenching abilities are different. Also, depends on what Gen bike you have too. I can tell you that in my Gen 1, and probably its the same for Gen 3, 4 and 5, a slip on can be changed in about 5 minutes. Usually takes me longer to gather the 3 wrenches I need than to actually change pipes.

Aside from just generally trying to bring the weight down, what is your actually goal for the bike? Are you doing some type of trackdays/racing or do you just want a lighter street bike?

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

Last edited by -Op-; 02-28-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 01:49 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Honestly Gen-Eric that's a big ask mate and would take some time trying to get what your asking!you are correct with Shorai battery being the quickest but as for the rest for me a lot of work!best weight loss for performance gains!Dymag carbon rims!most costly and time consuming with minimal weight loss!changing out over 330 oem hardware to Titanium!2-3 kg weight loss and hours doing it!well over $3000 prolly $4000!dont want to write it down as my wife could see
post #13 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
I can appreciate where youre going with that idea, but do keep in mind that everyones wrenching abilities are different. Also, depends on what Gen bike you have too. I can tell you that in my Gen 1, and probably its the same for Gen 3, 4 and 5, a slip on can be changed in about 5 minutes. Usually takes me longer to gather the 3 wrenches I need than to actually change pipes.

Aside from just generally trying to bring the weight down, what is your actually goal for the bike? Are you doing some type of trackdays/racing or do you just want a lighter street bike?
That's perfectly fine. Estimate your time, and estimate your wrench ability. I'm ok with that and I'm sure a lot people that do not have the wrench experience will be cool with it as well.

I estimated 60 minutes for me to replace stock exhaust with a slip on. You estimated 5 minutes. We can actually build a top 10 list with an overall estimate based on each individual estimated time and wrench ability average. It just takes data... Lets get some data.

I think this would be a value add for the site as a whole. Obviously I'm not going to give an estimate on something I've never done.

As with any data collection effort, the value of the data is only as good as the data that is input, so be honest.

post #14 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 01:54 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
You can msg me with any questions on weight savings and time doing it!I will point you in the right direction as I have shaved some weight on my gen4
post #15 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd10r View Post
Honestly Gen-Eric that's a big ask mate and would take some time trying to get what your asking!you are correct with Shorai battery being the quickest but as for the rest for me a lot of work!best weight loss for performance gains!Dymag carbon rims!most costly and time consuming with minimal weight loss!changing out over 330 oem hardware to Titanium!2-3 kg weight loss and hours doing it!well over $3000 prolly $4000!dont want to write it down as my wife could see
Price / minute is a secondary, primary is weight/minute. I.e. determining the complexity involved in the weight savings so people without wrench experience can determine the easiest approach for the most weight savings. I.e. people can prioritize the work they want to do, in the order they feel most comfortable with.
post #16 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
You can msg me with any questions on weight savings and time doing it!I will point you in the right direction as I have shaved some weight on my gen4
I think the info should be public, and would greatly assist any riders without wrench experience like me.
post #17 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 02:25 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Check out the thread "trading money for weight"there is some information in there with what areas and weight loss!there is a lot involved in what your asking!its taken me years to get big numbers and to put that on paper is nuts!a list from 1-10 can be done but everyone has different skills and $ figures doing these mods!if it was simple I would do it but it's far from that.
post #18 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Check out the thread "trading money for weight"there is some information in there with what areas and weight loss!there is a lot involved in what your asking!its taken me years to get big numbers and to put that on paper is nuts!a list from 1-10 can be done but everyone has different skills and $ figures doing these mods!if it was simple I would do it but it's far from that.
But it's not as difficult as you say. Forget money. Just focus on the amount of weight loss you gained, and the amount of effort involved in minutes.

In my company we track similar statistics, although it is only effort involved because we have no metric to track impact. In the case of this thread and my initial request, impact would be the weight reduction which makes compiling and assessing the data much easier. Thus weight reduction vs time spent in minutes (or lbs / minutes) (or kg / minutes) is completely possible when averaged over a large sample from a community.

I say top 5 mods because the top 5 would be the easiest to estimate your weight to time. Going deeper to lets say top 10 would involve multiple interconnected modifications, but even that is not beyond the scope of this request.

Off the top of my head:

1) Battery
2) Slip On with cat
3) Slip On without cat
4) Full Exhaust
5) Tail eliminator
6) carbon fiber rims
7) stock mirrors
8) rear sets
9) chain adjusters
10) etc...
post #19 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 02:50 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Ok I will say it another way!how can I remember the time it took to replace oem front calipers to Brembo gp4rx calipers and changing the M8 bolts to ti that holds the 2 piece Brembo together 21/2 years ago!no its not as simple as you say
post #20 of 31 Old 02-28-2017, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Ok I will say it another way!how can I remember the time it took to replace oem front calipers to Brembo gp4rx calipers and changing the M8 bolts to ti that holds the 2 piece Brembo together 21/2 years ago!no its not as simple as you say
It is as simple as I say. If you can't provide good data, then don't provide the data. Simple. Be honest. If you are not able to estimate the time then don't estimate the time.

That said, I understand that this site does not have enough people modding their bikes at any given time to provide enough data within any reasonable time frame to provide a valuable result that could enable non-wrenchers like me to prioritize their time in order to reduce weight of their bikes for increased overall nimbleness, acceleration, and braking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.