Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Difference between zx-10R and Z1000

7K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  scout 
#1 ·
What is the difference between a ZX-10R and a Z1000, if anything? I was told a Z1000 has a better tuned engine than the ZX-10.
I saw a Z1000 at the track the other night and it kind of looks like a Ninja 650R, as far as design goes.

I think the ZX looks much better.....

#3 ·
Um, they are completely different bikes. The differences are too numerous to list here because pretty much everything is different. "Better tuned" is subjective based on what your goal is.

#5 ·
Anyhow, I think I found out my answer. The Z1000 is a naked touring bike, while the ninja 1000 is pretty much a z1000 except for fairings, and more upright position. The zx-10 is a no-nonsense , in your face, super sport bike made for the track with nothing else considered. The Ninja 1000 is also heavier and has less HP. I would guess it's for older people who want a 1000cc sport bike and not worried about HP numbers or want to blast down a drag strip in 10 seconds at over a buck forty.:grin2:

Does that pretty much sum it up?

#6 ·
Yup! I have a 2016 ZX10R for the track and a Suzuki GSX-S1000 for the street. The Naked 1000's are geared for the street and make more usable torque delivery than the super bike 1000's. The GSXS is direct competition for the Z1000/Z900. I prefer the looks of the Z over the GSXS, but the GSXS makes more power and has more features.

#7 ·
Z1000 are POS and the ZX's are stellar. Naked bikes are geared toward beginners. Found that out the hard way. Bought the FZ1 not doing marketing research prior. Kept it and bought the r1 same year. No comparison. Nothing. total joke. I could get it to go but it was a lotta of work and effort; did 113,000 miles of twists on that bike.

10r is it and get the extended warranty if you ride at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.