Gen 4: 2011-2015 cooling fan failure to cut in - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 05-07-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

cooling fan failure to cut in

Guys, need inputs regarding my cooling fan failure issue on my zx10r.
Just recently got a 2013 zx10r with 4000km odo very neat, but noticed that coolant temp went to "HI" warning.Did a bit checking on it and noticed that cooling fan does not work, tried to flush coolant and swappped multi function relay from my 2013 z1000 limited but still cooling fan does not work. Another issue was the FI warning, eventually I realized that it could be the battery cause it has not been changed since the first owner.
Hope you guys can give me inputs on what to check next and by the way have'nt brought the unit at kawasaki service center yet for diagnosis.
Thanks guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-07-2018, 04:02 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Welcome to the site!

So, what were the conditions for you to see the overtemp warning? What were you doing? The "HI" indication isn't an FI alert, it's an overtemp warning. Not good.

First thing to check is to be sure it's actually the fan that isn't working. You need to put 12vDC directly to the fan to see if it activates. Once you know that the fan is working after you bypass everything else, then you can troubleshoot from there.

I don't know what you mean by a "multi-function" relay, since there isn't one. The fan works from a dedicated relay in the relay box, so I'm not sure what you swapped exactly. If you verify the fan is working, the only other things are the relay, the fuse, the ECU, and the temp sensor. One or more of those are bad.

The overtemp warning requires an immediate shutdown to prevent engine damage. There might be other things going on besides the fan depending on when that came on.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 12 Old 05-07-2018, 09:34 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Fuse. I think we have two fans and both have same fuse. Fans launch about 203f or so.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-08-2018, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thank you, I have checked the cooling fan by supplying 12vdc directly and it was working fine as well as the fuse. Planning to send the bike to Kawasaki service center for diagnosis, hopefully they find something on their diagnostic tool.
Still looking into possible loose wire connection somewhere in the cooling system.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-08-2018, 08:08 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Fuse. I think we have two fans and both have same fuse. Fans launch about 203f or so.
Uh....hmmmm. I would agree with you on that stuff, but then we'd both be wrong.

One fan, one 15A fan fuse, controlled by the ECU set to activate at 95 deg C (203F) and turn off at 90 deg C (194F).

Power to the fan is routed from the fan fuse to the relay. The relay is activated by the ECU. So if the fan is good, the fuse is good, and everything else works, then the issue is likely with the relay (it's inside the relay box). It could also be the wiring in the harness or connectors, but it's not the most likely culprit. The only other thing to verify is that the grounding lug at the frame ground has good contact there. It should be an easy fix.

#WordCrimes

post #6 of 12 Old 05-08-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post

One fan, one 15A fan fuse, controlled by the ECU set to activate at 95 deg C (203F) and turn off at 90 deg C (194F).

Power to the fan is routed from the fan fuse to the relay. The relay is activated by the ECU. So if the fan is good, the fuse is good, and everything else works, then the issue is likely with the relay (it's inside the relay box). It could also be the wiring in the harness or connectors, but it's not the most likely culprit. The only other thing to verify is that the grounding lug at the frame ground has good contact there. It should be an easy fix.
Could there be an issue with the ECU? Will an ECU reflash can resolve the problem? Thank you
post #7 of 12 Old 05-08-2018, 03:07 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithsebastienzx10r View Post
Could there be an issue with the ECU? Will an ECU reflash can resolve the problem? Thank you
It could be an issue with the ECU, but not likely. A reflash could lower the fan turn-on temp, but it won't fix anything related to your issue. Software doesn't fix electrical issues. But if you've had the ECU out or disconnected, there could be a bent pin in the connector to it. That would cause the problem you're having.

#WordCrimes

post #8 of 12 Old 05-08-2018, 07:52 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithsebastienzx10r View Post
Thank you, I have checked the cooling fan by supplying 12vdc directly and it was working fine as well as the fuse. Planning to send the bike to Kawasaki service center for diagnosis, hopefully they find something on their diagnostic tool.
Still looking into possible loose wire connection somewhere in the cooling system.
fan(s) working. what is the temp when you report hot? I'm thinking just a one time digital glitch.

But, under warranty; all good. I'd watch the temp and ride as you report the fans are engaging.

New bikes will do quirks. My new '13 the key would pull out of the gas cap the first few weeks. Then is stopped doing that. The '11 did something stupid at first, too, but can't recall right now.

bottom line: fans work and you have water in the side clear reservoir and temp not near 225f or so, I'd ride.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-08-2018, 07:55 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post

we have one fan; didn't know as get confused with past bikes. I suspect his problem is not; as in simply a temporary glitch or he's misreading whatever lights. New bikes are a pain to learn.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Sneekey10R Send a message via MSN to Sneekey10R Send a message via Yahoo to Sneekey10R
Quote:
Quote:
fan(s) working. what is the temp when you report hot? I'm thinking just a one time digital glitch.

But, under warranty; all good. I'd watch the temp and ride as you report the fans are engaging.

New bikes will do quirks. My new '13 the key would pull out of the gas cap the first few weeks. Then is stopped doing that. The '11 did something stupid at first, too, but can't recall right now.

bottom line: fans work and you have water in the side clear reservoir and temp not near 225f or so, I'd ride.
Quote:
we have one fan; didn't know as get confused with past bikes. I suspect his problem is not; as in simply a temporary glitch or he's misreading whatever lights. New bikes are a pain to learn.
Seriously....just stop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in