Best mileage to sell? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-07-2018, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Best mileage to sell?

What is the best mileage to try and sell a zx10r to recoup some of the money to put down on another bike (zx10r for me)?

I have a 2016 Gen5 with approx 5,000 miles. When is the best time to try and sell it, and get a newer one with less miles? I would prefer to lose as little as money as possible, and retain my mods for the newer bike. I would reinstall OEM, or if it helps to sell, I guess I could keep my mods on the bike (approx 2,000 USD), but again I like these mods and would want to install them on a newer ZX10.

I understand this is a pretty subjective question, but for anyone with experience in buying/selling/flipping bikes, this question is for you!

Any advice here would be appreciated, including Scout - LOL :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-07-2018, 06:32 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I think it goes without saying, that if you buy new you're always going to take a hit financially.

You'll never get out if it what you put into it.

I don't think KM matter very much at all to be honest, rather the condition of the bike, and how much desire there is for that model where you live.

You're bike is still pretty new and has low km on it. Because of this, you may feel it's worth quite a bit more. The problem is, that once you start flirting with a certain dollar amount people would rather just buy new. There needs to be a significant discount for us to want yours over the shiny one at the store.

Only you can decide what it's worth in your geographical region.

I just bought a bike 3 weeks ago and did lots of bike shopping, so I have a pretty good idea how people think. I saw many near new bikes that I had no I interest in paying the asking price.

If you really want to flip bikes in the future and not losing money is important to you, I highly recommend you just start buying and selling used.

I know many riders that have new bikes every year, but they are always used and often they even make money on them instead of losing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
SkyDork likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-07-2018, 07:21 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
The answer really is "0". Buy the bike new, don't ride it at all, and then after 5-6 years you'll be able to sell it for top dollar. Not what you paid for it, but lots of people want new bikes for cheap so it should sell real quick!

Really, there is no straightforward answer. Stokedcrf touched on it perfectly. It depends on the bike and the market. If the bike isn't desirable, it won't sell. If the bike is a market where not a lot of people ride, then it won't sell. There's too many factors that go into the pricing and something is only worth what someone else will pay for it.

If you're considering selling a new bike after just 5,000miles just to get another one, than trade it in. Trade-in makes more sense in that case. You can make more selling it outright yourself in terms of "cash money". But so many people forget that they aren't paying interest on a loan if they finance it on the difference and you don't have to worry about doing the work on it. Time is money! And the difference in price typically works out to a couple hundred bucks difference between trade-in and private party when you factor in everything. Not worth it IMO if you're just going to buy new and get rid of it so quick.

Just like cars, the cheapest one you'll ever own is the one you have right now!

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #4 of 13 Old 06-07-2018, 08:56 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

This is where Ducatis come into their own, buy the right model and they can even appreciate
ddipaola likes this.

post #5 of 13 Old 06-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Have you owned a Ducati?
I certainly don't see anyone making money on these.

The cost of ownership and timing belt changes every 7000 miles is just ridiculous... You'll never get back that money!

post #6 of 13 Old 06-07-2018, 11:12 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokedcrf View Post
Have you owned a Ducati?
I certainly don't see anyone making money on these.

The cost of ownership and timing belt changes every 7000 miles is just ridiculous... You'll never get back that money!

No, because they're expensive and maintenance heavy, but they are apparently relatively easy to work on and belts , changed every 12K, something that can be done at home.

I think its the same in the US, here in the UK Ducatis will hold value better than any UJM and Kawas seem to depreciate more than most.

They are the Ferrari of the bike world, early 851's and 888's are stupid expensive and even the 916 and 996 are fetching up to 15K. Ducati retros like the GT1000 are amongst the most sought after and can also fetch 5K to 15K . There are other examples,748, 998 and even the much derided 999, but I think you get my drift ........

On another note, gen1's are becoming quite sought after over here and holding their value well

post #7 of 13 Old 06-07-2018, 03:54 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The more miles you ride the bike, the lower cost per mile you've paid out in depreciation. What's the point of getting more of your money back if the bike is just sitting in the garage?

Perform your own maintenance and this reasoning is even more justified.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #8 of 13 Old 06-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by renais View Post
No, because they're expensive and maintenance heavy, but they are apparently relatively easy to work on and belts , changed every 12K, something that can be done at home.

I think its the same in the US, here in the UK Ducatis will hold value better than any UJM and Kawas seem to depreciate more than most.

They are the Ferrari of the bike world, early 851's and 888's are stupid expensive and even the 916 and 996 are fetching up to 15K. Ducati retros like the GT1000 are amongst the most sought after and can also fetch 5K to 15K . There are other examples,748, 998 and even the much derided 999, but I think you get my drift ........

On another note, gen1's are becoming quite sought after over here and holding their value well
If you want to keep the factory warranty though I think you need to follow their maintenance schedule... Which the first one is at 500km lol. Get outta here with that $800 nonsense.

Just my opinion tho :)

Prior to buying my zx, I was considering the hypermotard.

Just wasn't feasible.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-12-2018, 09:14 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

The reality that you present is senseless. No reason to sell a bike with 5k miles and buy one with less miles.

If you hate the bike then you must sell it, on the other hand. First question, does the bike have extended five year? If so is that warranty transferable to new owner.

If so, 10,000 np. But your problem is finding a buyer in your area.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-12-2018, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
The reality that you present is senseless. No reason to sell a bike with 5k miles and buy one with less miles.

If you hate the bike then you must sell it, on the other hand. First question, does the bike have extended five year? If so is that warranty transferable to new owner.

If so, 10,000 np. But your problem is finding a buyer in your area.
I love this bike. I never said I wanted to sell right now with 5,000 miles, was just curious if it was even possible to get any kind of input on when best time to sell this GEN5 bike based on mileage and model year. As I suggested in my OP, I knew this would not be a straight forward answer.

If I could garner any input at all from people with experience in flipping bikes, it would only help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in