All makes naked bike recommendations for a beginner - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-12-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

All makes naked bike recommendations for a beginner

Hey fellas!

I'm trying to advise my buddy about bikes he might be interested in. He's going to riding school soon and needs advice on which bikes to look at but I have little knowledge about bikes in the naked class. He'll be riding street exclusively and is very concerned about safety. With that in mind, I've advised him to focus on bikes with cornering ABS and traction control to manage the cold and wet conditions often experienced in my city.

In descending order of importance here are the requirements:
1. Naked bike (he likes the look and perceived comfort of a naked bike)
2. Cornering abs
3. Traction control
4. Reasonable cost (though he would buy a Ducati Monster since he's Italian too)
5. Smaller engine sizes preferred.

We found the 2018 Honda CB650F and Yamaha MT-09/FZ-09 and likes them both but they don't have cornering ABS, only old school upright ABS.

Thanks bike gurus!

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I think you're going to be hard pressed to find cornering ABS on a smaller displacement naked right now. As far as I know only the Ktm 790 Duke comes equipped with that. Pretty sure "old school" ABS will be good enough lol. My advice would be to not buy a 2018 anything. He should definitely go used. I would also consider foregoing some of those electronics to develop skills without them. Although maybe that doesn't matter anymore since most bikes seem to be equipped with electronics these days. Either way I think it's a great time to start riding as there are more beginner bikes than ever. I don't think he could go wrong with any of the current crop of small nakeds. I'd go with the FZ-09/07 if I had to pick. Just my 2 cents
Capncalyx likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-12-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I definitely agree. I did a quick search and came up with the Monster 1200 which just recently debuted with cornering ABS. Given it's Monster's top spec and that the aforementioned Honda and Yamahas don't have it, it leads me to believe that the naked class is relatively devoid of cornering ABS.

Thanks for the tip on the KTM. It's a killer ride but I'm steering him away from KTM because of the reputation for poor reliability.

Bummer for him. Most likely he'll have to settle for old school ABS.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #4 of 13 Old 04-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
I definitely agree. I did a quick search and came up with the Monster 1200 which just recently debuted with cornering ABS. Given it's Monster's top spec and that the aforementioned Honda and Yamahas don't have it, it leads me to believe that the naked class is relatively devoid of cornering ABS.

Thanks for the tip on the KTM. It's a killer ride but I'm steering him away from KTM because of the reputation for poor reliability.

Bummer for him. Most likely he'll have to settle for old school ABS.
Not gonna lie. My KTM 950sm isn't the most reliable bike I've had... It's probably the most fun I've had on two wheels though! There will definitely be a 1290 Super Duke R in my future. Say, that has cornering ABS as well
post #5 of 13 Old 04-12-2018, 06:08 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

post #6 of 13 Old 04-13-2018, 12:46 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

triumph street triple 675 very capable bike.if I were to buy a naked it's that or the z1000 but a z1k is not beginner friendly
Capncalyx likes this.

2010 Zx10r Black spark Bazzaz zfi with QS,Puig Blue Double bubble,vortex rear sets,Blue Spools, fork sliders and oil fill cap,M4 street slayer,Penske triple clicker -1 +3 gearing 520 chain
post #7 of 13 Old 04-13-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Scout. I really wonder about your posts sometimes.

My friends #1 priority is a naked bike (as mentioned above). The Ninja 400 fully faired sportbike is well outside the list of contenders.

The Triumph Speed Triple on the other hand is one of my absolute favorites and if it has ABS of some sort, then it'll jump to the top of the list.
R/T Performance and Duhastme like this.

post #8 of 13 Old 04-13-2018, 01:52 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
I can officially recommend that all new riders NOT ride their bikes naked! It's not safe nor is it sanitary. It can be downright awkward also.

ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time! Just say NO to naked riding!

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #9 of 13 Old 04-13-2018, 01:53 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Wait a minute, did I not read this thread right?

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #10 of 13 Old 04-13-2018, 02:10 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Whats this fascination with ABS?? Let him learn to ride and build confidence in his abilities w/out the use of such handicaps. Lots of us learned to ride that way and id like to think we/most of us are thankful for that. I can do a panic brake and not lock up, shouldnt have to if you leave an Out. And if one really needs ABS to feel comfy in the corners it makes me wonder about their confidence in their own skills instead of relying on a gyro or whatever or what they intend to actually get from riding. Maybe learning w/out that stuff will make you sharper or less likely to push it knowing there's no safety net?? Learn without it and you might rely on your own skills more is my thought. Sounds like he has Fear but also that he's already trying to lean on gizmo's he hasnt even ridden w/OUT yet lol. Let him learn on a Suzuki GS250 like i rode in my MSF class and build some confidence MUAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!
My 95 zx6R (1st bike) didnt have ABS of course and i had to learn what it felt like when the shitty carbs got screwy and flooded the bike at 60mph killing it and coasting w/out power. Im sure we all have our stories lol... We lived and learned though, hope so at least.

Adding all those electronic gizzmo's will only add to the price of the bike, hinder learning IMO and you wont have that many GREAT learner bikes to choose from that will be perfectly fine "old school" machines to learn on even w/out ABS simply due to the nature of a more subdued bike. I learned to ride a fast bike slow and wish id done it the other way around now. I dont have a suggested bike for your buddy as i think the list needs refined but id agree on the FZ7/9 from Yamaha although all ive ever done is read about it. And, i park next to a Monster Duc at work and have wondered how easy it must be around town, they look fun to me, and light!

A good tuner...can make a dyno say anything it wants.

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in