Accident Scene Management and ICE - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 Old 06-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I was the victim about 3 months ago, thank the good lord I am here and back riding again (thanks also to my gear I.E. good helmet and Kawi Racing Leathers) I lost it in a turn on a super twisty country road ended up in a ditch at about 40mph or so went off the bike landed HARD on left shoulder head smacked the dirt. My first reaction was MY BIKE!! I popped up and went over and started to pick my bike up. A buddy that was able to get stopped safely ran up and grabbed me and the bike and said "Hang on she's ok lets check you out" I honestly had no idea my head even hit the ground not cause I was knocked loopy but because I had a good helmet on, I never even had a mild headache after but I had some good dirt rash on the helmet. Once my buddy got me to sit down more people started showing up I was riding with around 12 people. Someone had already called 911, my buddy was checking me over. I was coherent knew what just happened and was honestly more worried about my bike. He told me it was ok and I would be fine to that the paramedics were coming. Shortly there after I was up walking around, a buddy helped me out of my jacket and we both noticed that my left collar bone was about to come through the skin but other than that I was acting/looking fine. Shortly after the ambulance arrived and they checked me out said I was fine and now I have a titanium plate 4 screws and 8 pins in my shoulder area. But thanks to the quick thinking of friends and the fact that I ride with my gear I am good to go and back enjoying my 10R.

05 Lime Green ZX-10R
B.M.C. Race Filter
Akrapovic Slip-On
PCIII Tuner
162.3 HP on the Wyo-Tech Dyno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 11-09-2011, 03:11 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Accident guidance

Thanks for the advices. But I wish none of this forum members need these advices and ride safe...
post #33 of 42 Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Great thread. Thanks for the advice!

post #34 of 42 Old 03-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

post #35 of 42 Old 11-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Outstanding comments from all on this thread. My 0.02 cents. Some lady crossed over solid double yellow lines on the freeway without looking and struck a brother motorcyclist. A nurse stopped to help and determined that he needed CPR. I took over compressions and felt the ribs cracking. Took me by surprise! The brother was pronounced at the hospital. The cracking if the ribs kind if freaked me out until a friend who had been a paramedic told me that rib cracking happens quite often. Don't freak out if you feel this crack. You need to keep supplying the heart with fresh blood. Hopefully you'll never have to do it. Be safe brothers and sisters.
post #36 of 42 Old 06-02-2015, 08:40 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah, I was trained to the Incident Commander level for Hazardous Materials Response. The initial training to any accident/injury is called "First Responder"; Incident Commander is four levels above that, the highest level. I managed hazardous chemicals in large amounts at a job I had some years back and a leak could have killed thousands of people. So we had to be ready. I've been on way too many motorcycle accident scenes and MANY were quite serious and required helicopter airlift. In every case all the riders involved were just plain boneheaded dorks that either stood around like zombies or worse yet tried to lift the person to his or her feet (yes there was one very pretty young girl got all busted up...she lived and was fine but it was pretty spooky, I thought she might just die while I was holding her hand. That day was messed up. She was one of the ones that would not listen when we told her to take it easy.)

I saw that same mentality with bicycling accidents I witnessed. Everybody wants to be a tough guy and get their buddy back on his feet. One dude crashed hard at no more than 15 mph and busted hell out of his collarbone. Ragged collarbone edges have a way of slicing arteries and yet these idiots were trying to move the dude and stand him up. I got in everyone's face and tried to stop them but I was overruled even though I told 'em I was trained. Same dork middle-aged guys, they ALWAYS have to be right about everything. Then the guy didn't want us to call an ambulance because he was worried about how much it would cost! Collarbone shattered, busted in several places, he DOESN'T WANT AN AMBULANCE?

Remember accident victims even if they can stand up are totally rattled and not in their right minds. This guy took the better part of a YEAR to heal and get back on the bicycle.

On that note I just found this article stating motorcycle fatalities are way up since 1997.
post #37 of 42 Old 06-02-2015, 08:49 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc gun View Post
excellent post ... be carefull out there boys and you hot zx female riders whoever you are .. we got to go to work tommarrow remember? Besides if you think your head is getting a little big just go out to Willow Springs and the boys will fix that ego real quick showing you just how slow you really are LOL
Odd but the girl I was referring to earlier was in fact riding a ZX-6R. But that was over 15 years ago so most likely not who you are thinking of.

Sometimes, most times actually, there's not a thing you can say or do. People just have to learn the hard way and that's a sad thing but true of the human race for the most part. Speaking of WSIR yes that main road course (people seem to want to call it "Big Willow" now or the 2.5-mile road course) will get your undies real tight real quick. Your nuts will crawl right up where they are safe for about the first couple years of trying to figure that track out.
post #38 of 42 Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
I was the victim about 3 months ago, thank the good lord I am here and back riding again (thanks also to my gear I.E. good helmet and Kawi Racing Leathers) I lost it in a turn on a super twisty country road ended up in a ditch at about 40mph or so went off the bike landed HARD on left shoulder head smacked the dirt. My first reaction was MY BIKE!! I popped up and went over and started to pick my bike up. A buddy that was able to get stopped safely ran up and grabbed me and the bike and said "Hang on she's ok lets check you out" I honestly had no idea my head even hit the ground not cause I was knocked loopy but because I had a good helmet on, I never even had a mild headache after but I had some good dirt rash on the helmet. Once my buddy got me to sit down more people started showing up I was riding with around 12 people. Someone had already called 911, my buddy was checking me over. I was coherent knew what just happened and was honestly more worried about my bike. He told me it was ok and I would be fine to that the paramedics were coming. Shortly there after I was up walking around, a buddy helped me out of my jacket and we both noticed that my left collar bone was about to come through the skin but other than that I was acting/looking fine. Shortly after the ambulance arrived and they checked me out said I was fine and now I have a titanium plate 4 screws and 8 pins in my shoulder area. But thanks to the quick thinking of friends and the fact that I ride with my gear I am good to go and back enjoying my 10R.
Thank God you had good knowledgeable cool-headed friends. I ride alone and if something happens I am fucked. So I ride accordingly. All the same most of the dorks I usually rode with probably would have killed me trying to help (yes I have seen their "help" first-hand) so I figure I am probably better off alone.
post #39 of 42 Old 06-03-2015, 10:18 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke Gee17 View Post
Outstanding comments from all on this thread. My 0.02 cents. Some lady crossed over solid double yellow lines on the freeway without looking and struck a brother motorcyclist. A nurse stopped to help and determined that he needed CPR. I took over compressions and felt the ribs cracking. Took me by surprise! The brother was pronounced at the hospital. The cracking if the ribs kind if freaked me out until a friend who had been a paramedic told me that rib cracking happens quite often. Don't freak out if you feel this crack. You need to keep supplying the heart with fresh blood. Hopefully you'll never have to do it. Be safe brothers and sisters.
Coming out of the car pool lane? People do that quite often. Anytime you are next to the fast lane or car pool lane, gotta be super-alert. Don't hang there. I ride tons of freeway, rarely have incursions now due to a few things I started practicing.

-Visibility, I wear an Alpinestars yellow visibility vest. Bright as all get-out. Makes a big difference.

-Never stay in the danger zone, stay out of blind spots.

-Never linger in the #2 lane especially if it's near where freeways split up or merge.

-Don't just ride along at the flow of traffic; speed up and slow down so you'll get noticed, doesn't take much but this happens normally when you're seeking the most safe position among traffic. Basically don't just trundle along.

-Shifting from right to left tire track to keep a buffer between you and whichever side is the biggest threat can buy you time to react to an incursion. Often I put my front tire right on the painted line if nothing is adjacent to maximize my safety zone.

-If some clown is on your ass in the car pool lane, rather than make a race of it, just move over so you don't get crunched. Yep I know it means cutting the double-yellow but being rear-ended by some assclown is worse than having to explain to the officer why you did it.

-No matter what kind of bike you are on (except maybe a Harley) any racy type bike will always attract a few dickheads that think you are there for their racing entertainment. They are hardly at risk in a "cage" and will often drive like a nut to get ahead. As soon as I see this type I ease over and let them go on ahead. They slow down as soon as they get by. Don't play games. Women drivers are usually the worst about this BTW, normally it's a about a 23-year-old girl with her first Corolla S trying to prove something. Male drivers are a lot better at this, they have better reactions and instincts so usually have fewer incidents, and they don't get nearly as angry if they get smoked. Girls make it personal and are crappy drivers to boot, so stay away from that shit.
post #40 of 42 Old 12-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Something to add to the OP is when doing a C Spine on someone if they have a helmet on NEVER remove it. It's supposed to stay on until the medic gets there, sometimes it's needs to stay on until they get to the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.