The Safety-Based Case Against Left Lane Squatters - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-29-2016, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Editorial Content

Posting Frequency

The Safety-Based Case Against Left Lane Squatters

Quote:
If you’re a motorcyclist, odds are that you aren’t one of those car drivers that squats in the left lane plodding along exactly at the speed limit while everyone else stacks up behind you with their blood pressure nearing the bursting point. Then again, maybe you are one of those mouth-breathers who believes it is their God-given right to drive in whatever lane they want, no matter who it inconveniences. (If you are, we’ve got a special place in Hell carved out for you to spend all of eternity listening to the Barney Song turned up to 11.)

While we’ve all experienced the aggravation of the left lane squatter, it turns out that slowing down traffic in the left lane is also a safety hazard because it forces faster drivers to weave back and forth between lanes, which can cause a cascading wave of deceleration in the right lane that further slows and stacks up traffic. Oh yeah, it increases the odds of an accident, too.

So, next time you see some doofus online, bloviating about how safe he is going the speed limit in the left lane instead of sticking to the right unless he’s passing, point him in the direction of the video below. While it probably won’t change the blowhard’s behavior, you might just inform some less experienced driver, like the narrator in the video, about proper lane discipline.
Read more about The Safety-Based Case Against Left Lane Squatters at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-29-2016, 04:46 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Bottom line is that the dorks at political levels must immediately initiate faster legal speeds when conditions allow as judged by any sensitive observer. Noob popos are a problem as they often are so young and dorky that reality fails them until they stack some years. The autobahn is the platform but not the standard. Instead we have Marxist-Fascist psycho politicals around the country that constantly insist that riders need protection FROM THEMSELVES! omg. We have got to get rid of these idiots that constantly get in the way of Americans.

Last edited by scout; 08-29-2016 at 04:49 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-29-2016, 05:10 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Better start with your local schools then because Drivers Ed Classes both public and Commercial in the state of California are instructing new drivers that the safest place to be is in the left lane due to the fact that most of the merging and exiting of traffic at greater disparity of speed happens in the right lanes. This is of course in contradiction to the codes on the law books for the state...

post #4 of 9 Old 08-29-2016, 06:04 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Not to mention getting a drivers license is a joke. If you are awake and sober, anyone can pass the stupid driving test.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #5 of 9 Old 09-07-2016, 08:21 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
Not to mention getting a drivers license is a joke. If you are awake and sober, anyone can pass the stupid driving test.
Many old lady Asians were terrible on roads a few years back. Around 2007 I noticed a major attitude change in this cohort's driving spirit: total improvement. Now all good. Not sure what but gopro must have impacted whatever as the camera records constantly show 95% of moto accidents involving others is caused by cagers.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-09-2016, 10:54 AM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

On my way home from work yesterday I had a left lane squatter doing 10mph slower than traffic and when I got up behind her to let her know someone was there she slowed down even more... When I finally got a break in the traffic and passed her in the right lane she gave me the finger. What the hell is wrong with so many people that they want to antagonize everyone else around them??? Why not just get the fuck out of the way and go about your business so others can go about theirs instead of making things difficult on everyone else...

I'm patient enough to deal with that kind of shit, but these people do not realize that someday they are going to intentionally piss off the wrong person and it's really going to go South from there. People are stressed and stretched way too thin nowadays and someone is going to snap on one of these idiots.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
On my way home from work yesterday I had a left lane squatter doing 10mph slower than traffic and when I got up behind her to let her know someone was there she slowed down even more... When I finally got a break in the traffic and passed her in the right lane she gave me the finger. What the hell is wrong with so many people that they want to antagonize everyone else around them??? Why not just get the fuck out of the way and go about your business so others can go about theirs instead of making things difficult on everyone else...

I'm patient enough to deal with that kind of shit, but these people do not realize that someday they are going to intentionally piss off the wrong person and it's really going to go South from there. People are stressed and stretched way too thin nowadays and someone is going to snap on one of these idiots.
That is why i love riding my motorcycle... so i can lane split around these idiots.

There in there own little bubble and clueless what is going on around them.. and a lot of them are on there phone, eating, or reading a book.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~+1 -2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
post #8 of 9 Old 09-09-2016, 05:11 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by belkins View Post
That is why i love riding my motorcycle... so i can lane split around these idiots.

There in there own little bubble and clueless what is going on around them.. and a lot of them are on there phone, eating, or reading a book.
Actually today I am on the bike

That being said I don't see it the way you do. The woman blocking me was not clueless and was plenty aware of what was happening. She was intentionally holding me up in 4 o'oclock traffic (and the rest of the traffic behind me for that matter) by slowing down even further. That is is borderline malicious if you ask me. Her giving me the finger when I finally got around her was not her way of letting me know I was #1 I assure you.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Actually today I am on the bike

That being said I don't see it the way you do. The woman blocking me was not clueless and was plenty aware of what was happening. She was intentionally holding me up in 4 o'clock traffic (and the rest of the traffic behind me for that matter) by slowing down even further. That is is borderline malicious if you ask me. Her giving me the finger when I finally got around her was not her way of letting me know I was #1 I assure you.
Well most of the ones I encounter are clueless/unaware.. but that person must have been having a bad day and just wanted to make everyone else's day just as bad. I've encountered several drivers that way and have been told i am #1 several times.. Life goes on and most likely you will never see that person again. Just count slowly down from 10...

What's been pissing me off is no one uses there blinkers/indicators anymore around here..

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R

~Woolich ECU Flash/Log Box/AutoTune~Driven Block Off Plates~Woodcraft Frame sliders~Cox Radiator Guard~OEM Seat Cowl~Tinted Hotbodies Venom Windscreen~Lightech Chain Adjusters/Axle Sliders/Spools~Sato Rearsets/Race Hooks/Bar Ends/Reservoir Covers~Pazzo Shorty Levers~Engine Ice~Motodynamics Rear Turn Signals~Ohlins TTX MKII Rear Shock~R&G Case Savers~M4 Street Slayer Exhaust~Ohlins Race SCU~+1 -2 520 Driven Sprockets~520 DID Gold Chain~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.