Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-13-2017, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes?

Quote:
'Loud pipes save lives' and 'the louder it is the faster it is' are all phrases you’ve probably heard before, but for a lot of people – particularly the non-riding public – loud exhausts prove to be obnoxious. Which camp do you find yourself in?
Read more about the Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-13-2017, 01:59 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Personally I find loud pipes obnoxious as well, and from my particular experience doesn't matter how loud you are you will still get cut off, rear ended, and pushed out of your lane. Only thing that will keep you safe is defensive driving and some good luck on your sides. Your eyes and be everywhere, so you will be vulnerable at times. Trick is to try and keep that vulnerability to a minimum.

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Loud and slow=wack
That is an axiom that should apply universally. If you are on a harley, you are slow, keep quite. If you are on a 200hp zx10, make all the noise you want. If you are in a honda civic, keep quite. If you are in a 1000hp honda civic make all the noise you want. ETC ETC ETC.
Capncalyx and lun471k like this.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS

post #4 of 16 Old 07-13-2017, 03:32 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm pretty torn on the subject... If I could get all the horsepower & linear power delivery that my full race system delivers with an exhaust that was 100% silent I would be perfectly ok with that. I simply don't need the auditory stimulus to enjoy the way my bike performs, but I would not want to give up the performance just to have a quieter bike.

That being said, I would GLADLY run the stock exhaust on my streetbikes for the rest of my life if every single Hardly-Ableson rider had to do the exact same!
Capncalyx likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-13-2017, 03:33 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
loud pipes wont save you, the only people that hear your loud pipes are the ones behind you! sound doesnt travel forward! noise is only if you want people to pay attention to you

LDH and Duhastme like this.

ride or die!::weed :
post #6 of 16 Old 07-13-2017, 04:10 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I get it, i really do but i too am on the fence on this one. I love to take a curve at double or triple the speed limit but these days im doing it in 5th or even 6th gear (636) as to not have the exhaust screaming. The only thing i panic about while riding is getting a ticket and my slightly chopped LV will fooking scream "HERE I AM MOFUCKERS"!! So im trying to be stealth these days and i also believe in 'a time and place for everything'. I dont pose often but when i do - its at MotoGP Indy my friends (no longer around so i dont pose anymore ) and there you can find me free revving like everyone else til 3am downtown, just not to the limiter lol.
I totally get that sound doesnt travel in the opposite direction it is dispersed in but ive found that if its loud enough, at least the people in my immediate area seem to be able to hear me ambiently in some way and i know it wont be everyone cause there have been plenty of times i cant hear an ambulance due to my A/C or heat cranked while playing the stereo. But to me its worth a shot if you feel you may be in danger of getting squished, rev it up!

Disclaimer - I mostly commute on my 636 and the 10r is for total debauchery. The 10 has a ported head, Kawi race intake, full Brocks and when i get on that...i dont even try to keep quiet lol. Its too fun not too but i try not to be a outright dick or piss people off with it. Its obnoxious just sitting at a light lol. The 636 is my stealth weapon and ive found out i can cruise around at insane speeds without being heard even with a chopped Leo V system.

Cant stand the slow moving Hardleys that sound like the world is coming to an end just trying to wind it up to 50mph. Heck, ill short shift these days just to not annoy the shit out of or scare the shit out of people around me. OR, i have been behind or near someone i see texting and RPM it up enough that i know they heard me cause they'll look in their mirror. I have whacked plenty of times in the past (yes pls quote me on that) and not only scared the shit out of pedestrians on the sidewalk () but scared a driver near me enough that they would react and do something stupid.

I felt like Tommy the other day (im a big classic rock and Who fan!). Like i said i commute a lot on the 636 and had just left my parking garage where i work next to the Capitol Building - so yea DT Indy traffic. Traffic is always heavy but sometimes its really shit and people will block intersections during heavy gridlock just being dicks. This happened the other day again and they'd blocked the entire intersection when we had a green light. I was in the middle of a pack of cages and we all had to maneuver around the blocked intersection to get through. I had already sat through 3 light cycles, the bike was getting hot as fawk and i wasnt waiting for another one so went through in the middle of this pack - head on a swivel as always but also clutching through the turn and revving it up around 10-12K while going through just to kind say "See me, hear me!" In that instance i really feel like it helped a little, certainly feel like people were damn conscious of me and gave me room as we made our way through the fugged up intersection.

Did that novel make any sense or get me off the fence? Probly not.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

View from Hell is blue sky - QOTSA
post #7 of 16 Old 07-13-2017, 04:12 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

...and yea like DUhastme said...even still at the end of the day yer gonna have plenty of jackasses left on the road who wont see/hear you NO MATTER WHAT because they're in their own little bubble. Did i do that last they're their stuff right Skydork??
SkyDork likes this.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

View from Hell is blue sky - QOTSA
post #8 of 16 Old 07-13-2017, 04:30 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
...and yea like DUhastme said...even still at the end of the day yer gonna have plenty of jackasses left on the road who wont see/hear you NO MATTER WHAT because they're in their own little bubble. Did i do that last they're their stuff right Skydork??
*they're = they are.
*their = ownership.

As in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx
NO MATTER WHAT because they are (they're) in their own little bubble.
They are in the bubble that they create. So, I give you credit for the correct usage completely there!

As to the topic at hand, louder than stock is OK. But ear-splitting loud like most of these pipes put out there just piss other people off and sound stupid. Especially most of the ones on those air-cooled v-twin motors.
Capncalyx and lun471k like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #9 of 16 Old 07-13-2017, 04:55 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Loud pipes save lives. That's why I mount my exhaust on my bike so it points forwards rather than backwards. That way people can hear me coming better.

post #10 of 16 Old 07-14-2017, 08:07 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

What is annoying to me is now a lot of race tracks have DB limits now. If I can't be loud at a race track, what the hell is this world coming to?
LDH and lun471k like this.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.