Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Kawasaki Recalls Certain ZX-10R And ZX-10RR Motorcycles

11K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  harding340 
#1 ·
See less See more
#5 ·
Mine finally showed up on the recall list yesterday. I'm thinking all GEN5s will be on it. Check yours:

https://www.kawasaki.com/OwnerSupport/RecallSearch

Here's what pops up for me:

2016 ZX1000SGFAL recalls
2016 - 2018 NINJA ZX10R & 10RR TRANSMISSION GEARS REPLACEMENT WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE - Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2016 - 2018 Ninja ZX-10R & 10RR motorcycles.

Note: VIN/HIN required to search for outstanding recalls.

Recall Date:02/01/2018

Remedy: Your Kawasaki dealer will correct this problem for you at no charge. The correction will consist of replacing the affected transmission gears.

Risk: On affected units, the strength of the gears in the transmission may not be sufficient. This could cause the gear(s) to break due to excessive impact force depending on the shifting manner. The breakage of transmission gear(s) may cause the loss of control, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Recall #: 18V089

Kawasaki Recall #: MC18-01

Consumer Contact:For more information, contact your authorized Kawasaki dealer or call Kawasaki toll-free at 866-802-9381 between 8:00am and 5:00pm PT, Monday through Friday.

#9 · (Edited)
The transmission one is definitely a recall. The cam chain tensioner is definitely NOT a recall, BUT if you want it changed Kawasaki will change it for you if you take it in to a dealer and say you don't like the noise. Personally my 2014 and 2016 ZX10s both with over 25,000 miles have been WAY quieter than my ZX6Rs so I'm not touching them. I put manual tensioners in the 6s. But I WILL be taking the '16 in to have the gears in the transmission replaced. I'm feeling lazy, and I have the bike up for sale anyway.

#10 · (Edited)
Oh man TWO recalls for different stuff!! Oh wait, one isnt a recall,....shows how much i pay attention, then again im a GenII owner and nothing even remotely GenII happens anymore so.....yea. Got it.

Edit - gotta get one of those man CCT for the 636 (mental note for tax returns). Damn thing rattles like a jar of marbles.

#12 ·
With all the guys racing their Gen 5s over here I'm really surprised no one blew up a transmission, only ones I've heard of failing were in Thailand.:dontknow:

#16 · (Edited)
My dealer called to let me know Kawi's got the gears on back order with no ETA on them... my friend just got a note in the mail for her Mustang (1 year later) saying parts for a recall finally arrived. I don't want to get stuck in the same boat like that.

Anyone else get told parts were on back order and end up never getting them?

#17 ·
My dealer called to let me know Kawi's got the gears on back order with no ETA on them... my friend just for a note in the mail for her Mustang (1 year later) saying parts for a recall finally arrived. I don't want to get stuck in the same boat like that.

Anyone else get told parts were on back order and end up never getting them?
My dealer told me the kit was on backorder as well when he placed the order. Less than a week later, the parts were at the dealership waiting for my bike. There will be a supply issue with these, but it's Kawasaki, not Ford. It's not a Chinese airbag issue that's going on here. Don't stress over it. You may not be getting parts in a week, but you're not going to be waiting months either.

PS - This recall is a bullshit overreaction to a handful of problems. I don't for one second thing this is a widespread issue. The only reason I got mine done is so they'll stop sending me notices. I would gladly ride the bike on my old parts and not give it a second thought and I hate the thought of someone else working on it.

#20 ·
I just picked up a NOS '16. When I asked the dealer about the gear recall, they said "Oh, we'll check that." Dealer called back to say they couldn't complete the deal until the recall was taken care of. Parts came in less than one week later. Dealers can't sell any new ZX10Rs until the recall is taken care of. I suspect this is why they are back-ordered for those not buying a new bike.
Great forum BTW-

#23 ·
Just talked to my dealer the other day and they said they DID receive an est. delivery date for parts from Japan on May 15 (or something about 4-5 weeks out). Hopefully anyone else waiting on parts will have theirs included in this oversees shipment. I'll keep the thread updated on if that delivery date is honored. From what the dealer told me though they order parts per VIN number, so as long as you gave the dealer your VIN you will definitely get your parts, even if there's a line-up of other recalled vehicles at the door.

#24 ·
Hi
my partners bike was recalled in March 18, it's been to the dealer twice and each time they couldn't get the replacement transmission gears replaced due to Kawasaki not delivering. it's now June, and he is still having delays?

is anyone else getting the same issue? We're thinking of going to Kawasaki direct and making a formal complaint.

I understand as long as your careful there shouldn't be an issues, but if you spend so much money on your pride and joy and there's a fault you'd want it fixed sooner rather than later. Am I the only one that thinks that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.