• 1 Post By scout
  • 1 Post By MrMoto73
  • 1 Post By banzai
  • 1 Post By scout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-01-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year?

Quote:
Dear MOby,

I just saw your answer regards oil change. My manual says that I need to change oil every 3000 miles. But I only ride about 1000 miles per year (very short commute). By the book, I need to perform oil change every three years. Do I really need to change oil every year? Is it okay to change oil every three years, just because I donít ride that much?

Thank you
Jay

PS: Just to make myself comfortable, I do oil change once a year.
Read more about Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-01-2017, 04:35 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Actually our manual says every 7500. But, I would wait for scout's opinion on this one. :)
swopesy, LDH and Kllongbrake like this.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-02-2017, 12:44 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

My ZX-10R manual says every 12,000 kms (assuming I'm reading it correctly.)

post #4 of 10 Old 03-02-2017, 05:33 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Depends on usage

At one extreme, if you use the bike for short hop journeys regularly, I believe the heating / cooling cycle will introduce condensation moisture into the oil much more readily than longer journeys. This moisture will reduce the effectiveness of the oil.

At the other extreme, if you are doing a lot of performance related activities such as track days, drag racing etc. These put a big strain on the oil and again quickly reduces it's performance.

Either end of the scale, I'd probably change oil quite frequently...Every third track day....Every quarter for short hop use.

Otherwise, stick to the service interval and use a high quality semi synthetic (I use ester based synthetic for track).

Hope that helps.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-05-2017, 04:11 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Look at the clean oil in the photo. No way that needs changing. Case closed!
belkins likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-05-2017, 05:44 PM
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Look at the clean oil in the photo. No way that needs changing. Case closed!
AMSOIL and done for life.... right scout?
scout likes this.

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
post #7 of 10 Old 03-18-2017, 06:34 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
Depends on usage

At one extreme, if you use the bike for short hop journeys regularly, I believe the heating / cooling cycle will introduce condensation moisture into the oil much more readily than longer journeys. This moisture will reduce the effectiveness of the oil.

At the other extreme, if you are doing a lot of performance related activities such as track days, drag racing etc. These put a big strain on the oil and again quickly reduces it's performance.

Either end of the scale, I'd probably change oil quite frequently...Every third track day....Every quarter for short hop use.

Otherwise, stick to the service interval and use a high quality semi synthetic (I use ester based synthetic for track).

Hope that helps.
True, but track days don't pressure the bike at all for normal track guys. Pros are a bit different but not that much, imo.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-29-2017, 02:35 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I used Mobil 1 MX4T for a few years. But after having to go to 3 Auto Zones to find 4 quarts of it I switched to Amsoil. Buy a twelve pack and good for year or two. On my ZX-10R I noticed at around 4K miles on the oil, shifting resistance starts to build up requiring just a little bit more pressure on the shifter to shift gears. That and milage is usually my signal its time for an oil change.

Since I live in Texas, I can ride almost year round. If I was up north I would change my oil and filter at the end of the riding season so the motor has fresh oil and the fuel tank is full with fresh fuel and Sta-Bil.
When Spring arrives, the bike is serviced and ready to go.

You can always send oil sample off for testing to determine if it is working and to see what contaminants are in the oil.
mpp12 likes this.

'04 Blue ZX-10R, FORKS: Race Tech Gold Valves, .85 KG/mm springs, US1 suspension fluid, Shock: Penske 8900 shock w/8760 compression adjuster, Gilles rear sets and levers, Scotts steering damper, Racefit Mega slip on, Zero Gravity screen, ZX636 Master Cylinder, Galfer Superbike braided brake lines, Vesrah SRJL17 pads, Kawasaki seat cowl, undertail kit, Oury Grips, Valentine One radar detector with Legal Speeding heads-up helmet LED.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-29-2017, 03:16 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

here in the island... we drive hard and all year around... every 4K new oil and filter... sometimes just new oil and filter one every 2 changes..
post #10 of 10 Old 04-10-2017, 08:40 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

My case of amsoil arrived today. But I usually use it for the cages. Trouble is that I also bought two filters for the 10r. Wasn't thinking.
tdh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.