California Bill AB 51 Codifying Lane Splitting To Be Introduced To Committee - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 06-06-2016, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Editorial Content

Posting Frequency

California Bill AB 51 Codifying Lane Splitting To Be Introduced To Committee

Quote:
Here at MO, we are strong proponents of lane splitting. Not a day goes by in which we don’t filter between the lines of slower moving or stopped cars. In the process, we’re also easing congestion and protecting ourselves from being rear-ended by distracted drivers. So, naturally, we were excited last year when we heard of California bill AB 51 was making the rounds in an effort to codify the act of lane splitting by giving it a set of clear rules for riders to follow. One of the primary benefits of the rules would be that they would make it possible to educate the driving public about lane splitting.

Unfortunately, the bill was pulled last July at the request of its author, California Assemblyman Bill Quirk, because of fears that it would not pass. Since that time, Quirk has worked on changing the language of the bill to a form that will improve its chance of passing. According to LaneSplittingIsLegal.com, an organization devoted to promoting lane splitting, the wording has changed to a much less specific recipe for legal lane splitting to a more generalized one. The result is a bill that maintains lane splitting’s legality by virtue of not being explicitly illegal while giving the CHP the option of developing and distributing educational guidelines for riders and the driving public to better understand safe lane splitting.

In a mockup of the amended version of AB 51 produced by LaneSplittingIsLegal.com, the specifics of the top speed and the speed differential between the motorcycle and other traffic have been removed. In their place, the mandate for CHP to create guidelines to educate the public is inserted: 'The California Department of Highway Patrol may develop educational guidelines relating to lane splitting in a manner that would ensure the safety of the motorcyclist and the drivers and passengers of the surrounding vehicles.'

Additionally, the agencies that the CHP is to consult in developing the guidelines includes not only the Department of Motor Vehicles, the Department of Transportation, and the Office of Traffic Safety, but it also lists the requirement of consulting with a 'motorcycle organization focused on motorcyclist safety.' So, we assume the organization selected would be either the AMA or the MSF, giving actual motorcyclists an active say in the development of lane splitting guidelines – which is very good news!

These changes were scheduled to be submitted to committee yesterday, May 31, 2016, but at the time of publication, the bill’s page on the California Legislative Information website had not been updated. Interested parties can track the progress of the bill there. California residents who want to contact their representative can search here. Those who want to contact Assemblyman Quirk’s office can visit his web site.
Read more about the California Bill AB 51 Codifying Lane Splitting To Be Introduced To Committee at Motorcycle.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 06-07-2016, 11:36 AM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

What will actually happen is the State of California will make it so that motorcycle riders that want to lane split will have to take a class that they have to pay for then pay for an annual permit or require special lane sharing insurance to be allowed to lane split legally etc. Everything in this state is ultimately designed to generate revenue and this will be no different. They should have just left the it all the hell alone where lane sharing was acceptable plain and simple because once the politicians get their hands the ability to write the law they will do it in a way that totally ruins the spirit of the law as it was intended. The worst part is I guarantee it will somehow negatively affect motorcyclists while doing absolutely NOTHING to inform cage drivers of the new law or the considerations for the riders.
post #3 of 49 Old 06-07-2016, 11:54 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Just be glad you have lane splitting. Washington and Oregon just both shut down lane sharing bills in the past 2 years. It's insanely frustrating.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv

post #4 of 49 Old 06-07-2016, 12:00 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I am... It's kinda funny as I have been coming to California since 2000 working the WSBK/motoGP vendor booths etc at Laguna and when I first started coming out here I always said that I would never split lanes like these idiots do, but after having moved here in 2008 I'm the first idiot at the front of the line when the light goes green

In fact I only ride a motorcycle on the street purely as a commuter in times of heavy traffic. I never ride for recreation or enjoyment on public roads... During events like World SBK or the Concourse Delegance at Pebble Beach etc it can take a couple hours or more to drive home on a commute that should be only 20-25 minutes so when that happens I ride to work solely so I can split lanes and get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time.

and I do it on the trusty olde F4i which is bright enough for most people to see me coming in their mirrors

Last edited by LDH; 06-07-2016 at 12:04 PM.
post #5 of 49 Old 06-07-2016, 12:13 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes but does it have a loud pipe? Loud pipes save lives you know. :) [/sarcasm]
D-CON likes this.

post #6 of 49 Old 06-07-2016, 12:18 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh View Post
Yes but does it have a loud pipe? Loud pipes save lives you know. :) [/sarcasm]

Originally it did! M4 High Pipe that was borderline obscene for noise even on a 600

I needed a lower mount though for the saddle bags I was going to use on a long trip with the wife that we never took so I installed another newer M4 model and it is MUCH quieter

One of these days though when I find myself with some spare time I will install this one-off Sato Racing Prototype with the GP can that I am sure will endear me to the neighbors when I leave the house at 6:30am
tdh likes this.
post #7 of 49 Old 06-07-2016, 04:33 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The biggest issue with lane splitting is the cost to educate all the brain dead cagers.
post #8 of 49 Old 06-07-2016, 06:02 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle.com View Post
Thanks for that.

Sturm und Drang
post #9 of 49 Old 06-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

That's good gouge. Thank you.
post #10 of 49 Old 06-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Btw, did you really post pics of a Honda on a Kawi site...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.