2016 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R First First-Ride Review + Video - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ZX10RArcher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Posting Frequency

Garage
2016 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R First First-Ride Review + Video

Our Australian correspondent, Jeff Ware, was blessed with the jackpot of motojournalist opportunities: testing an important new superbike-class contender ahead of its official world launch event. Ware, author of our recent 1980s Turbo Bike Shootout and the test of a Cagiva 500cc Grand Prix racer, is one of just five journalists to have spun laps of Oz’s Wakefield Park circuit on Kawasaki’s latest ZX-10R, the most exciting new regular-production sportbike of 2016. Ware says he expected improvements, but what he experienced was stunning.

Read more about 2016 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R First First-Ride Review + Video at Motorcycle.com.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
--Dr. Seuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

It's this quote that has me a bit worried....

"If you like a big stupid grin on your face after a triple-clamp pops up and smacks you on the chin when you open the throttle, you might find this engine boring."

Do they have the throttle mapping just a bit off with this new Fly-by-Wire set up? I guess we'll have to wait and see. I've heard in testing they're working on the bike in this area. Accelerating out of corners, or lack there of... Impressive new bike by all accounts!
post #3 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I rode the 2016 model on the track on the 26th last month a day after Jeff Ware.

I rode the bike after having 4 sessions on my 2015 model and stepped off my bike walked down the pits and took the new model out.
First thing is the brakes are fantastic and I was comfortable chasing a H2 after a lap, suspension seemed soft to sit on compared to my bike in the pits but on this bumpy track it was great. The quick shifter was also very smooth.

After the session was over and I returned to the pits I was asked by the Kawasaki rep. what I thought of the bike my response was a question “was it on a soft setting”?
I was assured it was on full power, but the initial throttle movement gave me no response unlike my 2015 model, I have spoken to other people that have ridden the bike and read two other articles that have said the same thing.

That is one thing that is stopping me from putting a deposit on the new model, all other areas of the bike are fantastic.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 10:43 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Since it's fly by wire I wonder if you can remap the throttle curve to taste in the ECU? Also, isn't this a repost? Seems this was posted back in November when the article originally came out.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 11:05 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

My understanding is you will be able to adjust the throttle mapping in the race ECU and likely woolich software in time.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-15-2015, 12:27 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Squids Life View Post
My understanding is you will be able to adjust the throttle mapping in the race ECU and likely woolich software in time.
The ETVs will be adjustable in the software.

It looks like the accelerator and throttle position sensors nominal values are stored inside of the ECU as a frame of reference. In the service manual it states that if you replace the ECU or swap one in from a different bike (amongst a few other things listed) that you need to clear out the values stored inside the ECU with the KDS3 unit and then let the bike run at idle for 10 seconds with the coolant temp at over 104*C and the bike will reset the values that were previously stored in the ECU with the new values for the new hardware on the bike once it's been "calibrated" for the new hardware.
Greenblood7 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

new software

Any dates on the new software????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.