2012 Japanese Superbike Shootout - Video - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 Old 05-10-2013, 08:11 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I know we all love the zx10s here but I have an honest question...when you look at the shootout DYNO test...you can see that the midrange does kind of suck on the zx10. I have a GEN3 so I am already used to this anyways....simply stay above 7k RPM and you are all set. My question is...with a reflash, I know the U.S. ZX10r GEN4 will make more in the 170-175hp range than whats shown here....160ish, BUT does it help the midrange? If it does, how much? Will it be closer to the GSXR? I have to be honest...I was DEAD set on the 2011 or newer zx10r for my next bike but since it will mainly be a street bike, that midrange of the GSXR is awefully tempting. I know sprocket changes help with the zx10, that's what I did with my GEN3 but look at the GIXXER's torque curve as well, stays nice and smooth and is higher than the zx10 for the whole band until the top end. I know the GEN4 zx10 kills everywhere else, suspension, geometry...very lightweight feels like a 600 supposedly, but as stated, since this will be a street bike I am now torn lol

WINNING

Last edited by Bigeclipse; 05-10-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 05-10-2013, 08:26 AM
vr6
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
I know we all love the zx10s here but I have an honest question...when you look at the shootout DYNO test...you can see that the midrange does kind of suck on the zx10. I have a GEN3 so I am already used to this anyways....simply stay above 7k RPM and you are all set. My question is...with a reflash, I know the U.S. ZX10r will make more in the 170-175hp range than whats shown here....160ish, BUT does it help the midrange? If it does, how much? Will it be closer to the GSXR? I have to be honest...I was DEAD set on the 2011 or newer zx10r for my next bike but since it will mainly be a street bike, that midrange of the GSXR is awefully tempting. I know sprocket changes help with the zx10, that's what I did with my GEN3 but look at the GIXXER's torque curve as well, stays nice and smooth and is higher than the zx10 for the whole band until the top end. I know the GEN4 zx10 kills everywhere else, suspension, geomtry...very lightweight feels like a 600 supposedly, but as stated, since this will be a street bike I am now torn lol
GSXR1000 is an AWESOME bike! That said, I fit better on the GEN III ZX10R. The only other bike that feels okay from seat is the CBR1000RR...

Number 1 is handling for me and I finally have my GEN III complete by my standards; new springs, adjustments and sag set... Bike feels like it's on rails. I can ride as fast as I have the nerve to ride; it feels that planted.

Only other bike I would want is a DUCATI because the torque is off the chart at 92 ft lbs. Also the looks...

Very happy with my GEN III!

I hear ya the ZUK I can jump on those bikes and wheelie them easier than my GEN III and the CBR for that matter...
post #23 of 26 Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr6 View Post
GSXR1000 is an AWESOME bike! That said, I fit better on the GEN III ZX10R. The only other bike that feels okay from seat is the CBR1000RR...

Number 1 is handling for me and I finally have my GEN III complete by my standards; new springs, adjustments and sag set... Bike feels like it's on rails. I can ride as fast as I have the nerve to ride; it feels that planted.

Only other bike I would want is a DUCATI because the torque is off the chart at 92 ft lbs. Also the looks...

Very happy with my GEN III!

I hear ya the ZUK I can jump on those bikes and wheelie them easier than my GEN III and the CBR for that matter...
Dont get me wrong I have heard the handling and electronics are amazing on the GEN4...I was actually just argueing that my buddies GEN4 with -1 gearing and reflash definitely destroys many bikes around here including GEN1-3 zx10s but now that I think about it...I dont think he ever went against a 2012 GSXR1000. If you look at the torque in this shootout the GSXR1000 carries almost 10ft/lbs more from 3000RPMs to 8500RPMS and continues to have more torque until 10,000RPMs...thats a pretty significant difference in that range. I know the flash and a dyno tune will allow the GEN4 to continue with torque and HP above 10,000RPMs making it the king up top but I am curious if a reflash or dyno tune will help the midrange or simply just smooth it out and maybe only gain 2ft/lbs through the mid range.

WINNING

Last edited by Bigeclipse; 05-10-2013 at 10:32 AM.

post #24 of 26 Old 05-10-2013, 07:48 PM
vr6
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Dont get me wrong I have heard the handling and electronics are amazing on the GEN4...I was actually just argueing that my buddies GEN4 with -1 gearing and reflash definitely destroys many bikes around here including GEN1-3 zx10s but now that I think about it...I dont think he ever went against a 2012 GSXR1000. If you look at the torque in this shootout the GSXR1000 carries almost 10ft/lbs more from 3000RPMs to 8500RPMS and continues to have more torque until 10,000RPMs...thats a pretty significant difference in that range. I know the flash and a dyno tune will allow the GEN4 to continue with torque and HP above 10,000RPMs making it the king up top but I am curious if a reflash or dyno tune will help the midrange or simply just smooth it out and maybe only gain 2ft/lbs through the mid range.
Agreed; GSXR1000 is an impressive bike to ride and on paper.

However, at the end of the day it's gonna be the rider who gets the most out of the bike...

I can easily out ride my buddy with the S1000RR... You would think I had 180 and he had 160... Dyno sheets be dambed...

I've ridden a lot of new bikes and I feel most comfortable on my GEN III... I'm certain the other bikes have their upside but I am thrilled with my GEN III...

New motor, tune up, new suspension, new exhaust, tires in good shape... Bike absolutely rips!!!

I have ZERO interest in a new bike!

Getting on a new bike is not gonna make me faster even if it has more HP/torque...
post #25 of 26 Old 05-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to Slowpoke
Quote:
well I know that piped and tuned I got a solid 2lbs more of torque through out the midrange on my 2011 Zx10R but the widest spread for mine was between 5 to 10 k
and last year with just the flash and bazzaz tune on Stock exhaust went from 159.95 then to 176.96 up to 180hp retuned to the new Yoshi 3/4 exhaust pipe , It appears from what the tuner has said that my bike still has a soft limiter which messes up the signal for the top HP!

For the Love of the Ride !!!
Ride it hard or don't ride at all !
EcU Unleashed ,Bazzaz tuner,Braided lines, carbon fiber handle bar tips,, Yoshi 3/4 R77D
system,two up on the rear ,Zero gravity windscreen ,rear Spools ,Kawi frame sliders: Dyno Tuned 180.03hp torque 76.52 done May 4th 2013 ,,,thumbsup:
post #26 of 26 Old 05-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I really feel you can't go wrong with any of them. So close nowadays in how they handle

The ZX does have the power plus in this current crop tho thats for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.