ZX-10R.net Racers - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 02-06-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
ZX-10R.net Racers

I didn't find a thread like this, so decided to start one up where the racers on this forum can share their racing stories in a collected environment, and I'm sure questions and such will come up from time to time.

Basically, an ongoing thread for the forum members who are actively racing to keep track of each other and share their updates!

Start out with a quick introduction, who you are, what you race, and what series and classes you race. Racing goals and accomplishments. Then, as your season moves along, post up your race reports for all of us to enjoy and share!

We had something similar on another forum I was on, it was fun to have a thread dedicated to the active racers so figured I'd get one rolling here.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-06-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I'll get things started

I started racing with the AFM part way through 2014, only doing the girl's-only (AFemme) class my first few weekends because I was so slow. The last weekend of 2014 I did a couple Sunday races, and 2015 was my first full season. That year, I started out as the clear back marker in most of my classes, and by the end of the year was at the back end of the mid-pack novices.

2016 I started investing a lot more in myself, along with getting some great support from people along the way, especially Ken Hill who helped transform my riding. I started the year right where I had left off the year before, with no improvements at our first round (which was very disappointing to me at the time). That prompted making some changes to my mentality, and things changed rapidly through the year. I went from leading the back pack in my races to being consistent top 5 in one of the fastest novice groups the AFM has seen, and in my Legacy class I was regularly on the podium including my first win of my racing career. I finished up 3rd in that championship, and dropped an average of 5 seconds a lap off previous lap times at all 3 tracks we race.

That blew my goals for that bike (prod legal 07 675) out of the water, so in Dec 2016 I picked up the bike I've wanted to race all along, a 2017 ZX10R which I'm currently building.

For the 2017 season (once I'm over the broken leg) I'm moving up to Expert and on the bigger bike. Should be an interesting learning curve! Thankfully have some great people in my court, so hoping to do their support justice and continue growing as a rider. Faster and safer!

This year I plan to race in Open Production, Open GP, Open Superbike, AFemme, and assuming I qualify, Formula Pacific.

I'm really hoping I can gain some confidence in my bike with the new one - that Daytona taught me a lot about how to ride a motorcycle, and I got a lot more confident in my skills, but I never did get confident in the bike - there was just always something about trying to ride that bike hard that did not inspire confidence for me.

Eventually (once I qualify for the license) my goal is to be ready to wild card the local MotoAmerica rounds - and if that goes well, and finances allow, I may shoot for doing the full season down the road - but there's a LOT of work for me between now and then, so taking it one step at a time with my eyes on that eventual goal.

The link in my sig has my past race reports and updates if you're bored and want something to read LOL!
lun471k likes this.

AFM #302

Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
post #3 of 28 Old 02-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

My name is Scott, I raced a few races last year on my 2016 ZX10R..This year I'm going to race full time in CCS On my 2017 ZX10RR I have on order due to come in this month, all parts are already sitting in my basement waiting on my bike. I race the east coast in the United states, Thunderbolt in NJ is my favorite race track. We also run .Summit, VIR and CMP ..I will keep updated on my results are the season gets underway starting in April.
Honey Badger likes this.

The track is my HAPPY PLACE!

post #4 of 28 Old 02-06-2017, 07:18 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Ken Hill is great !!...I took a full day 1 on 1 with him at Miller ( big track ! ) a few years back.

Can't go wrong with the ZX-10, best liter bike around for a couple of years now, from WSBK to club racing...

Best of luck for this new season !

'06 green ZX-10R Race / '05 orangina ZX-10R track

Wera West Expert #95
post #5 of 28 Old 02-06-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Scott, will be looking forward to hearing your reports and seeing some pics of that RR in action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix el gato View Post
Ken Hill is great !!...I took a full day 1 on 1 with him at Miller ( big track ! ) a few years back.

Can't go wrong with the ZX-10, best liter bike around for a couple of years now, from WSBK to club racing...

Best of luck for this new season !
Yes, Ken's teaching is great, and the way he describes things is exactly how I need to hear it. Plus he breaks it down into little pieces that are easy to work on - you don't work on "braking" you work on something more specific like brake pressure at turn in.

He's returning to YCRS and expanding his dirt schools, in addition to his other coaching, so lots of opportunities for folks to work with him!

I loved my '05 I had as a street bike (and my first couple track days) - the new one feels like it has everything I loved about the 05 while fixing the things that made it the "widow maker."

AFM #302

post #6 of 28 Old 02-07-2017, 07:54 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Nick here, last year was my first full season racing. I spent the first half of the year on a 2013 ZX10R that I bought used. Was fun! Set new PB's at every track I went to. (PBIR, HMS, JGP & RRR)

I raced in 2 series last year, FMRRA and CCS-FL. Won both FMRRA championships and finished 2nd in both CCS championships, came down to the last race. Finished the year competing in 32 races and got 28 podiums.
10 - 1st
10 - 2nd
8 - 3rd

Half way through the year I moved to a 2016. I've been about a second slower on this bike at each track so far. This year I hope to change that and set new PB's at each. My first race of the year will be this coming weekend at Homestead Speedway. It's gonna be crazy going from podiums every weekend (in AM) to fighting for top 10's (in EX)! lol We have some FAST club guys down here. It's gonna be fun!

Supposed to pick up my fairings today (repainted) and take them to get number plates put on.

Good luck everyone!

Honey Badger likes this.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-07-2017, 09:20 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Hi my name is Derrick and I'm a race-aholic. Lol which is how everyone's post sounds like so far.

Got my race liscence in 2012, was bumped to amature sbk as 1000's aren't allowed in novice and I wasn't selling my bike to start over. Podiumed my first two races and blew it up in the third/final round.

Raced my first full season in 2013 finishing second overall in am 600/sbk on a borrowed 600 but it was kind of by default as we didn't have many regulars to show up each weekend.

Bought my zx10 winter of 2013/14 and built it knowing I wanted to compete in nationals. Finished 4th in the two I competed in

2015 won the national am sbk title

2016 turned pro and finished 8th overall.

Looking to battle with the top 5 guys for 2017 on the new build.
Lanister and Honey Badger like this.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Always On Mod

Posting Frequency

Hi, I'm David and I'm addicted to racing...

I started in 2014 as a Novice with AFM, racing my 2011 zx-10r. I podiumed and won enough races to get 2nd in Open Production and got bumped to Expert for 2015. 2015 I raced the zx-10, plus a 2005 GSXR600/450. Running 6/7 races on Sundays did wonders for my endurance, and switching between bikes was great for learning how to carry corner speed on a 65hp bike, and then how late I could brake coming from the zx-10.
2016 I bought a 2012 zx-10 that had more upgrades and only raced the 4 open classes. I was getting fast enough to where I needed to start having more dedicated suspension support and someone to help out in the pits, and then I moved to LA for a new job and racing took a back seat.

I've done 2 full Rickdiculous days, and 2 more ride only days. The coaching from Cam Gish and Ken Hill helped me drop from 1:56's at THill to 1:53's, and I stopped crashing. I'm looking forward to getting back into either WERA or CVMA down south, and running the Buttonwillow rounds with AFM.
Honey Badger likes this.

Fast parts, Great Service: PM Mike at Rider's Discount
post #9 of 28 Old 02-07-2017, 03:02 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
To all you guys...

post #10 of 28 Old 02-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Much like AJ and David, I am also an AFM racer. I started out in 2010 on my 2006 GSX-R750 and got my expert status in 2012 on a 2008 GSX-R600. Took a break to get my university degree out of the way and re-joined AFM ranks in 2015 as a part time racer on my 2011 zx10r. Development of the bike has been documented in my build thread below. I have been very fortunate to have support of Ken Hill and Mike Canfield all along. I also instruct for Keigwins at the Track. Looking forward to this season :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.