Sensation of Speed - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 Old 07-18-2017, 03:35 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
Ya, other than autoblip and now the whellie control (which I spent a full day testing and getting used to) I don't trust the electronics - in fact, turning my TC to the lowest setting and getting better feedback from the tires/bike INCREASED my confidence - before I couldn't tell where things were or how close things were to having issues. Bike seemed to get off the corners a little better, too.

The majority of my lost time right now is on the brakes - I'm braking WAAAAAY to early. I don't slam on them, and still have decent entry speed, but I'm going to them way to early despite my eyes and references telling me I have a ton of time, but that other little voice keeps freaking out and winning the argument

Started playing around with the rear brake a bit as well. On the 675, since it didn't even have a slipper in it, I could use the clutch to drag the rear wheel...don't have to use the clutch anymore, so started playing around with the rear brake a bit - liked what I was finding, but putting it to practical use that helps reduce laptimes is a few more steps away. Even without that, however, I'm braking a mile too early on the corners where there's harder braking from a higher speed.
Braking later is a mental thing for me. I just have to pick spots on the track as braking markers, and do trial and error. Some corners I will run off until I figure it out. As for the electronics I keep my t/c on 1 when on the track. But the internal IMU is going to allow you to get on the gas earlier coming out of corners, corning management function will help you trail brake into the corners with confidence, and the KIBS helps me brake later (that and the m50's + Vesrah XX). Also are you using engine braking or did you set it to lower? I know a lot of racers are using the kit ecu and unlocking the adjustablilty of all the electronics. But I am upper intermediate slow advanced, so you are likely beyond my advice. Hope you can figure it out!!!

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 07-19-2017, 12:57 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Honey, I had this type of struggle not long ago.
A sort of survival reaction causing to close throttle and go lightly on brakes, but I didn't hear voices! (joke)

Is that feeling or "voice" something like "I don't want to be here and "quit" by closing throttle", sort of uneasy feeling you have on passanger seat of a car when driver goes too fast for your comfort zone?

Main problems/solutions for me were:
a) Vision problem: Focusing eyes too much on brake marker and not able to see/process how the corner sweeps. Solution: As approaching the corner I try to get wide "bird view" through the corner, turn head and no much eye focusing jet, center of the vision much inside of the corner (towards corner exit!).
This way approach speed feels 2x less, able to stay calm. A fraction before rolloff and brake I lock eye focus on inside curb, important, because that is were you need to drift to. You catch rolloff and brake markers with peripherial view.
Tips from former world champ.

b) Action sequence problem: Braking, then quick turning too late. Solution: I as beginner was braking and started to turn almost then braking was done. My turn-in points were "racecar" points - too late for superbike and needed to slow down too much to be able to flick and make to the apex.
Solution: A good instructor identified it and made it clear to me: Start turning somewhere at the same time with braking, some steering handelbar pressure with brakes long before corner starts to turn, with strong brake the bike does not lean much and even with some 20deg lean the bike does not drift much to inside jet.
With regard to our fear problem: This creates safety as you are early executing actions of turning in and braking errors I can catch by running wide and not braking straightup into grass under panic.

c) Simple fear problem. High speed, acceleration, noise, vibration, wind and corner shooting into your face too rapidly can trigger survival reaction for an non-advanced racer.
This was issue for me, but dissapeared over time completly. I think strong acceleration is the main player here. Like Lanister said before try slow roll-off. I would say try rolling off 50% well before fear would trigger, bike maintaining speed and not accelerating anymore, now try to dance, shake your shoulders and joints. If you are able to do it then you are relaxed enough to sense speed, process visual and execute actions.
Coasting a second or two at 50% throttle, but hitting correct brake point is much faster than ripping out last bit of acceleration and overbraking.
Lanister likes this.

Gen4 race: high spec.
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa 2013: stock.
Kawasaki KX450F 2016: love it.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-19-2017, 01:26 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Braking reference markers are the key. You would have had one set of markers on the smaller bike that are now completely wrong for the new bike. You are doing the right thing initially to roll off way earlier than on the smaller bike. The key is to roll off later and later until you find your new braking markers. There is definitely an adjustment period but you'll get more comfortable and more confident once you find your new markers. The bigger bike is a little trickier because they accelerate faster, have to be shut down a little sooner because of the larger gap from speed at braking point to corner entry speed. Smaller bike can accelerate longer/farther and have a smaller gap between initial braking zone speed and corner entry speed.

Last edited by tdh; 07-19-2017 at 01:32 PM.

post #14 of 20 Old 07-19-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yes, eyes are definitely part of the equation, but I felt like it was more of a struggle to get the logic brain and the feeling brain to get on the same page LOL. I was gaining ground on my competitor in the fast sections of the track, but she'd gain back even more in the harder braking zones.

This was a challenge for me to get over on the little bike, and I was still refining it at the end of last year, so while I should expect a bit of a set back with the adjustment to the bigger bike (already have had to move the slow parts of my corners, and change how I see the track - which I have not perfected yet), I'm still frustrated by it - losing the time this last winter to get through this stuff still bugs me and I want to make up for lost time!

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
post #15 of 20 Old 07-19-2017, 02:57 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Appears to be a lot of great information and suggestions here, thanks OP for making the thread. Will be trying some of these sequences out next go around.

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-19-2017, 04:23 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos76 View Post

Main problems/solutions for me were:
a) Vision problem: Focusing eyes too much on brake marker and not able to see/process how the corner sweeps. Solution: As approaching the corner I try to get wide "bird view" through the corner, turn head and no much eye focusing jet, center of the vision much inside of the corner (towards corner exit!).
This way approach speed feels 2x less, able to stay calm. A fraction before rolloff and brake I lock eye focus on inside curb, important, because that is were you need to drift to. You catch rolloff and brake markers with peripherial view.
Tips from former world champ.
I would say the above tip has been the most effective for me.
JayBoCC2 and Aus10r like this.
post #17 of 20 Old 08-04-2017, 12:48 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I had trust issues with my brakes up until last weekend. They were initially too sensitive and then I had terrible fade that caused me to run off the track. I haven't been aggressive with them until now and boy are they good on this bike.

You really need to just keep pushing your markers back. Find a corner with paved runoff and just keep going later and later until you've got that back end up in the air and you know you can't throw it in at that speed. Counting a whole second or two seconds is a lot of time to wait, try just waiting until your passed the old point and then go for the brakes. This will move you only 5' or so at a time. One second is a crazy, at 60mph that's 88'!
post #18 of 20 Old 08-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Heap of good advice in here.

For me when I start getting flustered, I either force myself to look further through the corner than I usually do, slowing down everything my eyes are taking in and restricting tunnel vision.
If I'm still struggling, then I dial it back a bunch and start coming up on the corner at a speed where I don't need to brake. Then I take it up 5kph each time I come back around.

The biggest problem I find is when coming up to the corner at a speed you begin to panic at, you brake far harder and earlier, and wash way more speed than you mean to. The only solution I've found to work for me is the no braking runs.

2016 - ZX-10R KRT Winter Edition
https://www.instagram.com/superbike.turtle/
post #19 of 20 Old 08-04-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I actually got a great tip from one of the other coaches at our last track weekend - his suggestion was that, rather than trying to brake later from where I am, instead, just go slower. Literally. Start out slower than I could go on the 675, but start braking where I know I should be. Gradually add the speed back in, but don't move the brake marker. That worked perfectly. While I didn't get back up to full speed (still another 10mph I could easily get in that stretch), my braking was starting where it should and the slow addition of speed worked like a charm. The first few times I didn't even get past 4th gear - the idea was to not let my brain think about rolling off and slowing down before I got to the "proper" brake zone. Keep it where it's at until I get there. So started out in the 130's down the front straight, got back up to the 150s by the end of the day.

The other thing I did on some other corners (after warning the other coaches not to get on my tail), was start braking where I "felt" like I needed to, but apply the brakes - HARD. Get used to how the bike handled hard braking (I was doing this in C group when I knew there wouldn't be another rider potentially following me into a corner). I was able to safely and comfortably move back my brake markers without scaring myself.

I've never been the type who can just run it off track on purpose - whether it's the years and many, many miles of street riding or just being a girl, that method doesn't work for me - I'll never push it in there that hard unless I'm already super confident in what I'm doing and just squeezing that last bit out (usually only in a race situation).

These alternatives worked quite well for me. Will be continuing the process at my next trackday. Eyes were especially huge once I started to get a better feel for things, so they will be key in making sure all the pieces fall into place.
or10r and JayBoCC2 like this.

Racing Like a Honey Badger Blog

AFM #302

Special thanks to my 2017 sponsors and supporters!!
Kawasaki USA Team Green; DareDevil Motorsports; Roseville Yamaha-Kawasaki; RiderzLaw; Dainese D-Store SF; BARF Racing; Dunlop Race Tires; Woodcraft; Pacific Track Time; Motion Pro; Skratch Labs; PUSH Laptimer
post #20 of 20 Old 08-05-2017, 10:29 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Are you trying to brake where you were on the 675?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.