Gen 5: 2016 -> moto316's 2016 ZX-10R racebike build - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 06-12-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

moto316's 2016 ZX-10R racebike build

Well time for a new project! After my 2011 met her demise a few weeks ago at PBIR I've been scouring craigslist/forums/ebay for a Gen5 so I can get back in the game with some new updated machinery. Managed to find a 2016 ABS model that a squid traded into a wholesaler for a Harley after he/she laid it down on the right side. She's got 3000 something miles on the clock so the engines not super fresh but not terrible.

Last edited by moto316; 10-16-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-12-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

First order of business is getting her stripped down and getting the wiring harness, emissions and ABS system completely removed. Which is a hell of a lot easier said than done. My 2011 was a non-ABS model and it didn't have the emissions/evap shit on it so I was a little worried once I started to see how big the pile of junk I was ripping off the bike was growing.

This might be common knowledge but I was floored to find out that you need to remove the swingarm to get to a bolt that holds one of the ABS line junctions going to the rear brake line. Kawi must of been having a laugh when they designed this system. While I had it off I cleaned and greased the swingarm pivot and linkage bearings. A good thing I did since it seemed like the last owner took this thing through a field of mud before they traded it in.

Back together and fresh n clean:

I'm hoping that's not the original oil...

obijack likes this.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-13-2017, 12:03 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto316 View Post
First order of business is getting her stripped down and getting the wiring harness, emissions and ABS system completely removed. Which is a hell of a lot easier said than done. My 2011 was a non-ABS model and it didn't have the emissions/evap shit on it so I was a little worried once I started to see how big the pile of junk I was ripping off the bike was growing.

This might be common knowledge but I was floored to find out that you need to remove the swingarm to get to a bolt that holds one of the ABS line junctions going to the rear brake line. Kawi must of been having a laugh when they designed this system. While I had it off I cleaned and greased the swingarm pivot and linkage bearings. A good thing I did since it seemed like the last owner took this thing through a field of mud before they traded it in.

Back together and fresh n clean:

I'm hoping that's not the original oil...

Oh my. Did you get an oil analysis from blackstone labs? I like to do that on bikes/cars/trucks/motors i buy used to see how they were maintained and treated prior to me.

post #4 of 22 Old 06-13-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBoCC2 View Post
Oh my. Did you get an oil analysis from blackstone labs? I like to do that on bikes/cars/trucks/motors i buy used to see how they were maintained and treated prior to me.
nah, not gonna bother
post #5 of 22 Old 06-13-2017, 07:51 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

That's still too low of mileage to worry about anything serious with the motor to warrant an oil analysis. Congrats on the find and new project! :)
post #6 of 22 Old 06-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

moto316's 2016 ZX-10R racebike build

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto316 View Post

This might be common knowledge but I was floored to find out that you need to remove the swingarm to get to a bolt that holds one of the ABS line junctions going to the rear brake line. Kawi must of been having a laugh when they designed this system. While I had it off I cleaned and greased the swingarm pivot and linkage bearings. ]

I thought I would need to do the same but with rear wheel, shock and exhaust off you can drop the swingarm far enough that I got the bolt loose with a small set of vise grips.. then just wiggled it off with my fingers!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Lanister likes this.

Last edited by Newf; 06-14-2017 at 05:59 AM.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-14-2017, 04:30 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Nice man! Congrats! I watched your crash video. Looked like she was squirming with you in turn two and four. Glad your okay. Hope the new bike puts you on the podium every race!
moto316 likes this.

post #8 of 22 Old 06-26-2017, 12:37 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Following with interest, looking forward to your race progress.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-26-2017, 01:22 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Giddyup! Subscribed to this now.

Sorry to hear of your demise with the G4, but glad you found an upgrade now! Interested in the updates on the new one along the way.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #10 of 22 Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

little update, got the painted sharkskinz bodywork from swenson fitted, samco hoses, evol tech rearsets and cordona strain gauge blip quickshifter mounted.

SkyDork, or10r, dricked and 2 others like this.

Last edited by moto316; 10-16-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.