Engine overhaul - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-04-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Engine overhaul

I just did 2 race seasons with my 16 Zx10, about 5000 track/race miles. The motor is still very strong, I don't think there has been any drop of performance, at least my lap times don't say so.
Should I jump on a 3rd season or rebuild the motor? Any of you guys have experience with that many track miles and how well these motors hold up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-04-2017, 08:08 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
5th gen should last longer than the previous gens. I'd keep it going.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #3 of 12 Old 12-04-2017, 09:07 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

It's cheaper to check and replace worn out parts now than after the engine blows up regardless what gen the bike is.
evallarta1 likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 AM
gaz
Squid

Posting Frequency

i would run a couple of tests to verify engine condition/performance. pull the oil pan to check for any bearing material, always a good thing to do anyway to clean out any clutch material. check compression balance, and leakdown test to check ring/valve seal. all within limits, go racing with confidence.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-05-2017, 09:44 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

My gen 4 at 4,000km needed all new valves. There’s no warning, the top end will all of a sudden sound like shit.

My rebuild schedule is bottom end every two years and top end every two years alternating so it’s not one big bill at once. Stretching it out until failure will result in a single very large repair bill. Good luck.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-05-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Cool thanks guys, sounds like I'm going to pull this engine apart and just do it. The only thing now stopping me now is Kawasaki won't pay out anymore because its a 2016 and I need a 17 or newer. Considering I podium almost every race the contingency pays for pretty much all my racing fees/tires. Decisions....
post #7 of 12 Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
My gen 4 at 4,000km needed all new valves. Thereís no warning, the top end will all of a sudden sound like shit.

My rebuild schedule is bottom end every two years and top end every two years alternating so itís not one big bill at once. Stretching it out until failure will result in a single very large repair bill. Good luck.

I plan to do a full rebuild on my zx10rr at about 4000km, the Thai Kawasaki Sbk team changes valves every 2000km.

If you keep the engine completely stock then they seem to last pretty good but once you add a little extra (race cams) then they donít hold up so well. My teammates just had to have their BSB spec engines completely rebuilt, one lasted just over 4000km and the other bent a valve just under 4000km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 Old 12-07-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
I plan to do a full rebuild on my zx10rr at about 4000km, the Thai Kawasaki Sbk team changes valves every 2000km.

If you keep the engine completely stock then they seem to last pretty good but once you add a little extra (race cams) then they donít hold up so well. My teammates just had to have their BSB spec engines completely rebuilt, one lasted just over 4000km and the other bent a valve just under 4000km.

Wow, so shimming the valves isn't enough, actually need to replace the valves completely?
post #9 of 12 Old 12-07-2017, 05:25 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I put on 12k race miles on my gen4. Checked the valves replaced clutches, frequent oil changes. Still runs fine. No engine mods. Just kit ECU and a good map.
gaz likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca101 View Post
Wow, so shimming the valves isn't enough, actually need to replace the valves completely?

If it just a bike you use on the road and occasional trackday then no but these are racebikes only I’m talking about. One of the top Superstock racers here has 2 full race seasons on his but we’re not sure what was serviced on it during the first year as it was Kawasaki Thailand Superstock Bike. But most guys are doing preventative maintenance and 4-6000km rebuilds.

The top Superbike guys are running under 3s off Rea’s best race lap and Superstock are about 4-6s, so the pace is pretty quick.

For comparison the Yamaha Thailand Team changed atleast 2 new engines in their Superstock R1 this year and even more last year. Last year they had issues with bent valve on the stocker and Sbk engines, which is why they’ve upgraded the valve springs on the 2017 R1.

I'll ask the Thai mechanics why they change the valves so quickly cause it does sound to quick to me, personally i probably wouldn't change the valves until the 2nd rebuild at about 8-10,000km. On the S1000rr HP kit 1 engines they recommend new valves at 18,000km.

Last edited by Newf; 12-07-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.