Another Gen 4 race build - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 298 Old 03-28-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Another Gen 4 race build

Well after having a bad ending to my intro into racing (final 3 races at RACE) where I spun a rod bearing then taking an intake valve shortly after the repair on my 2008 GSXR 1000 sbk, I decided it was time to cut my losses. I picked up a shiny almost new ZX10 with 1700km on it to turn into my new love. I know this is not a cost effective way to get on the track but after having two motor failures, any bike I picked up would have a full rebuild before it hit the track (roughly 3-$4000). This way I start fresh and can mod to my desire and make the bike my own.

I started off riding the bike home (roughly 200km) and felt fairly comfortable with the ergo's right away. Once I got it home and found a couple safe backroads I wanted to see what all the hype was with this bike. Needless to say it was impressive but not what I was expecting. These bikes come heavily restricted from the factory so after a little research I found out by grounding a wire from the ecu it puts the bike into a neutral map where the secondaries don't close at higher rpm, so by day two the bike had already had its first "mod". One quick jaunt and the bike showed what it was really made of! It pulls extremely well past 10,000rpm and if I dare say wouldn't give up much to my GSXR that was built pushing 180whp on U4.4.

I started getting the build under way by removing all the nice shiny painted bits and unnecessary street parts (beside the kick stand).

I picked up a few parts that I knew I would change right away such as Vortex rearsets

Renthal clipons, STM switches, Pro-Taper adjustable clutch perch

Brembo 19x18

Fairing stay with a bigger ram air intake from the UK (http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/181680345840?nav=SEARCH). You can also see the Lightech remote brake adjuster, ProTaper adjustable clutch perch and my homemade rad guard.

And a few bling parts.

I also removed the OEM wiring harness and ECU. By the time it added the cost of a quick shifter to a piggyback system the price was within a couple hundred dollars but this way I have much more adjustability.

Old harness

Race harness and ECU

After removing the OEM harness there was plenty of room to add a set of block off plates so I took the opportunity to get it done while I was there.

Started a bit of the race wiring to keep everything where it's suppose to be.

Last edited by dricked; 04-29-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 298 Old 03-28-2014, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Installed a new FMF apex exhaust and carbon fiber hanger

I found a great deal on a set of Hotbodies bodywork off the forum and even though I heard how bad they are I decided to see just how bad they could be. Well they're all that and more! I had to trim the oem undertail 1/2" to get the tail section to slide foreward far enough so that the recess lines up on the subframe. I also had to cut and shape the front of the seat pan to get it to fit and the recesses are still extremely crooked that mount to the tank but it'll have to do for now. This will become my spare bodywork later in the season.

I've been having a hell of a time trying to decide what I wanted to run as far as suspension goes until I was lead to a great deal on a set of K-tech 20DDS fork cartridges. Originally they were out of the budget and I was undecided if going with a gas charged fork was really worth the extra expense. This deal made my decision for me. They'll be paired up with the K-tech 35DDS rear shock.

post #3 of 298 Old 03-28-2014, 03:23 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Keep up the good work !!

post #4 of 298 Old 03-28-2014, 03:38 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

If go for another set of bodywork, consider the Armour Bodies set. I've had the same set on my race bike for 2 years, going on 3 now. Been through 2 highsides and a lowside (repaired of course). Fits great and light.

------------
WERA Expert #43
2012 WERA National Challenge Series Open Superstock Novice Champion
http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerpro...30532136163864

COMET RACING LEATHERS

2011 ZX-10R Race bike (Vortex, Silkolene, Leatt, Yoshimura, BRIDGESTONE)
2013 ZX-6R 636 Race bike
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
post #5 of 298 Old 03-28-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haga46 View Post
Keep up the good work !!
Sure will, not quite done yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman0066 View Post
If go for another set of bodywork, consider the Armour Bodies set. I've had the same set on my race bike for 2 years, going on 3 now. Been through 2 highsides and a lowside (repaired of course). Fits great and light.
That's what I had planned on using but this was almost 1/3 of the cost but my time and aggravation just fitting it was not worth the savings never mind the prep that I need to do now before I can paint it.

The front didn't go as bad as the tail. Took roughly an hour to get it on and drilled but I have to do some trimming again and the bracket they use to attach the belly pan is part of the kickstand so I'll have to fab somthing up there

Last edited by dricked; 03-28-2014 at 04:37 PM.
post #6 of 298 Old 03-28-2014, 05:05 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Damn dricked, you got my same suspension setup! Nice. Bike’s looking great.

Yoshimura ... DynoJet PCV ... ECUleashed flash ... BMC race airfilter ... DynoTuned ... K-Tech 20DDS Fork/Cartridges ... K-Tech 35DDS Rear Shock ... Rear Linkage kit ... Brembo T-Drive rotors ... Accossato Master Cylinder ... Vesrah pads ...
post #7 of 298 Old 03-28-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsting View Post
Damn dricked, you got my same suspension setup! Nice. Bike’s looking great.
Lol sure did! I was on the fence between the regular K-tech forks and shock or AK-20 gas forks and Penske rear. For the price the AK/Penske setup is hard to beat.
RRusk1000 likes this.
post #8 of 298 Old 03-28-2014, 05:42 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Very nice! Subscribed.

2016 Ninja H2 - CANADAS Fastest 1/4 - 8.34 at 169mph - 208.4mph in the mile. Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Full Polished Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm 7-11", Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, Evotech Fork Sliders, Yoshimura Tail Tidy

2011 ZX10R - SOLD
post #9 of 298 Old 03-28-2014, 05:47 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

may I ask what you paid for your K-Tech setup? PM me if you don't want to post.
my setup was $2,500 installed.. killer deal!

Yoshimura ... DynoJet PCV ... ECUleashed flash ... BMC race airfilter ... DynoTuned ... K-Tech 20DDS Fork/Cartridges ... K-Tech 35DDS Rear Shock ... Rear Linkage kit ... Brembo T-Drive rotors ... Accossato Master Cylinder ... Vesrah pads ...
post #10 of 298 Old 03-28-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDsting View Post
may I ask what you paid for your K-Tech setup? PM me if you don't want to post.
my setup was $2,500 installed.. killer deal!
I'll be in it for more than that. I scored the cartridges off ebay for $1050 shipped brand new and then whatever the shock costs. I'll install the shock/linkage but have the forks done by my tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.